Rule Changes?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Jan 15, 2012.

1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

We need any?

Anything grab you guys as out of whack? I have a couple of ideas to float, most of which are pretty simple and used in other leagues.
    1. Penalty settings are set at default. Don't see many penalties. I think we may want to find a more realistic setting structure. I'll look into it, but if anyone knows a good setup, I'm all ears.
    2. Heisman balance - I think a lot of the guys getting Heisman attention are doing so because they're double dipping, especially on Special Teams. There's no rule against this, and it isn't wrong at all, but I thought maybe we could touch this up and open the field by simply saying "no one on the two deep gets the KR/PR job." Or something similar to this. Not this year, maybe starting next year. No starters on KR/PR. We up for that? It used to be kind of standard practice, but we got away from it somewhere.
    3. New Slider Set - If I put in in during Bowl Season, would there be any objections? See the Film Room for the set.
    All I can think of right now. You guys got any ideas?

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Just some quick thoughts from my phone. I'm not sure #2 is acceptable in it's current proposal. I looked at my list and to have a returner not on my two deep I would have a guy with 89 speed, 91 acc. I works pass up three guys that are fight ranked considerably higher all around. I understand the arguement, but adding another restriction like this is unrealistic and complicated things that shouldn't be complicated. The Heisman voting on this game is flawed and I don't think we should worry about trying to fix it. We should worry about fixing the other things that lead to users dominating the heisman (ie. Sliders, late scoring) first then worry about additional restrictions later.

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

I agree with easy, thats unrealistic. Easiest way to get guys to stop caring so much about the Heisman is to stop worrying about it.

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I'm not sure it is worried about as much as people think it is.

5. The Dude

If that's what we want, then OK.

But I'm not going to do it. The game swings heavily in favor of the guys who pull double duty, so much so that if one wants to contend, it's nearly a requirement. Last year's winner did it. 2 of this year's five contenders do it, if not more.

In the past, most leagues had a speed rule in effect for return guys, because we broke too many big plays. That's kind of a setting thing, meaning it's relevant based on what settings your league uses, but I think a user has been the top returner every year, and might have been the top several returners - not sure on that one, but I know we're way up there. If not a non-starter requirement, would we agree to any other way to curb the big specials teams numbers? Keep in mind - this isn't new. It used to be pretty standard.

If the group thinks it's fine, I won't force a change, but the run numbers, the sack numbers, the pass defense numbers, and the special teams numbers are all a bit off, and I'm looking for reasonable ways to bring these a little more in line with reality.

6. The Dude

I'm not worried about it, but it would be nice if it were an open race. Some awards are won by a number of users, CPU players, whoever. And some awards (Heisman, Walker, Nagurski, Top Returner, etc.) are only won by users (I believe there was a CPU Heisman winner a few years back, though, but it was kinda glitched). This just tells us what's slightly out of whack, that's all. I don't want to make them unwinnable, but right now they're irrelevant (things not to worry about) and that's less fun. I'd like to make them relevant again if we can, which is what this stuff is about.

I don't care about the Heisman, but I'd like to. It's supposed to be kind of a big deal.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I hate restrictions, really do. I understand some are unavoidable (recruiting comes to mind) but this seems to be a contradiction waiting to happen. Fix the sliders first, then worry about awards after a season, so you can determine what is still messed up. Also I have played in several other leagues here, and I haven't encountered any rules like this in any of those leagues, do there is precedent both ways.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Turn recruiting to Heisman, boom no in season restrictions, cause the computer will own you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bdub

bdub Walk On

I brought this up last week. I think we should.

10. The Dude

I can do Heisman. No problem, if we're all on board.

On the other stuff - it's really a matter of helping everyone out. One way or another, I'll curb the big stats. The guys who have a hard time now won't be able to blame me for it, though, cuz it'll be on the big number guys. That's all I'm really saying - I'm asking how best to do it. It's gonna get done. Just a matter of time, really. I just want the guys to be clear on the when and whys of it all. I want it to be a group thing rather than something I impose. I want there to be choices.

11. The Dude

And don't think this is an "iron fist" kind of thing. There are just some elevated stats and such that we need to address, and there are a number of ways to do it. We could be looking at a speed threshold change, a slider change, an agreed upon depth chart change ... there are a number of methods. The drop to 7 minute quarters is a method, also, and maybe all we need. But I think most if not all agree that we are too big in some places, and that has made some of the fun stuff (like big awards) less fun. It's not as much fun knowing that, barring injury, one of three or four guys is going to win the rushing title, the walker, the heisman, (usually all of these at once) and a number of other stat based awards. I'd just like to create some variety is all.

12. bdub

bdub Walk On

I think the change in sliders will go a long ways towards addressing these issues. Why don't we do that for the bowl games and then see next season based on stats if we need to make additional rules.

13. The Dude

The changes and the 7 minute quarters might do the trick.