Rule clarification

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BigSmooth33, May 5, 2010.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Rule clarification

Excessive hit/truck sticking...

Thoughts?

2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Or wr reverses at end of game up 27?

3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Or not running the clock up 20+ in 4th?

4. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

if game or jdr want my side of the story feel free to PM me or text me. I am not going to resort to bashing my opponents here on these forums.

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I don't see anything wrong with it. A lot of guys are good with the stick on here. I'm not, I need to learn how to be.

6. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Smooth> If these are issues you had with your last opponent, you should have taken them up with him first. If no resolution was made, you should then take it up with commissioner of dynasty. If it was an actual play you should have saved the highlight. to show to the commissioner.

7. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Any rules are free to debate. I don't see this case of him questioning sticks as out of line. I'm not taking sides, just stepping in. I've done & do things that others don't like but I'm ok with being asked to clarify my actions so let's discuss & keep it clean.

Ifeel like we can fix this the way it has been presented.

8. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

jdr> I wasn't questioning anything he said either. Hit sticks, I was just observing my play compared to others.

The other 2 posts he made were things that should first be taken up with opponent then commissioner.

Personally, up x number of points calling a WR reserve wouldn't bother me because the person is making a genuine effort to run the ball.

Chewing the clock: Most people I play don't start using chew clock unless there is less than 2 min left in game. Usually after the opponent has burned all timeouts. I do believe when up more than 8 points in 4th a person should try to play more ball control, usually by running on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and short/mid distance. I don't think it's unreasonable to throw up by more than 8 in 4th when it's 3rd and long. At same time, I believe it's ok to go for it on 4th and 2 or less when ahead in 4th if you are trying to run clock out.

On 4th down unless the other person objects or it's a league rule I wouldn't go for it in 4th though.

9. runthepound

Since it was ok'd by JDR I will state my case.

The game was a rainy game. It was also your typical ea game. I had one last season against Auburn. There was nothing that BigSmooth could have done to win this game...it was like it was decided before the kickoff. He had 8 turnovers in the game and all 3 f his fumbles were recovered by me. I used the hit stick the whole game, although not on every tackle. I used it the same amount as I did in my games against all other opponents in this league including the current and past commissioner of this fine league. I think the complaint from excessive hit stick came from him losing 3 fumbles. I have not caused 3 fumbles in a game ever in NCAA 2010.

10. runthepound

This was done after I initiated the "run the clock" feature. There was just under a minute to go in the game. I come out in a single back formation and run a dive play. Much to my surprise, I see the whole d line (which was in a goaline formation) crash to the left (using the "play the run" feature). Then my opponent (down 52-25 with under a minute left) calls a timeout. So i decide if that is what we are going to resort to, I am going to get a first down. The play I chose was a WR reverse. I was not going to score. I have already been scolded once from The current commissioner about running up the score.

11. runthepound

I passed the ball 12 times in this game. Not once did I pass it after we were midway through the 3rd qtr. I ran the ball. I did not run the clock until I was supposed to; with under 2 mins left to play in the game. I did, though, run the ball and let some time wind down off the clock. I felt this was the appropriate way to handle the game.

12. runthepound

I would like to discuss a few things I experienced. As stated this is a clarification of the rules type thing so I think these should be brought to the attention of the league after playing my last game.

1. The aforementioned "playing the run"/run commit

2. The aforementioned calling a timeout when the other team is up by a large margin late in the game and running the clock.

3. The QB rolling out of the pocket when there is no pressure. (Excessive)

4. Abuse of running with the QB on pass plays. (Excessive)

5. Bumping at the line(Excessive)

13. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

No problem. I didn't see what you said being negative at all. Not a problem at all. I appreciate the participation.

14. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

1. Are you talking run commit? or crashing the line?

3 and 4 is frowned upon in TF.

5. I bump the receivers a lot, can you define excessive for me?

15. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

wow, this looked like it got ugly, imma wait to comment after i sober up, happy cinco de mayo???

16. runthepound

yes the run commit feature was used in this game 1 time only. I tried to save the play/highlight but that play was not saved as a replay as it was a c grade for both teams.

I would say at least 75% of the pass plays. Again, the word moderation comes into play. There should be a fair balance of press and normal coverage. This press coverage goes on alot here in the SEC Speed. I am not against doing it at all, it should just be used in moderation.

17. runthepound

To be honest, I wasn't going to bring any of this out into the forums until we decided to have a discussion here. I thought the game went fairly well until I checked back here 5 minutes after the game. Ea just got the best of South Carolina in this one.

18. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Just keep it clean & as long as we leave any personal attacks out, I'm fine with solving it here. We need some clarification on some things.

19. runthepound

bump for discussion purposes.

20. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I didn't think it got ugly. I was just asking for clarification.

21. fsupenguin

fsupenguin Walk On

I have found many of the owners here to us bump coverage on most plays. This is not a big deal most of the time if the teams are evenly matched as I see it. But some seem to treat it as a part of there base defense and that does get a big old. Moderation is key as I see it, and this helps keep the strategy of the game alive and very important. But if things like this are done all the time then strategy gos out the window and it can very easily become about who better knows how to exploit the flaws in the game.
    Having said that, anything under 30 point lead is not safe with this game so I believe in stepping on your opponents throat if you get the chance, and by the same token I am always going to play hard to last second ticks off the clock even if I am taking a beating.

22. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

and this sums up my opinion as well, but lets stay on track, i must say that i have been on both sides of the fence as far as playing a game that seems as if i was meant to lose it from jump as well as 35-0 lead in the first quarter blowouts resulting in me taking knees in the third qtr.

you're going to lose no matter what!!!
    i had a game v. my boy jdr last season and he can attest to this as well that there was no chance for me to win this game lol, then it may have been home field advantage but we just accepted it for what it was, we laughed that whole game at the amount of BS that was going on that game, remember the option play the was whistled dead jd? also every tackle was a hitstick tackle, and jd never uses aggressive hitstick. in the end, we both thought it was a funny game. i continued to play hard throughout the entire game despite the obviously predetermined outcome.

jimmy johnson's canes vs. Notre dame, "He didn't have to run up the score like that!"
    lol, as i said earlier, I've been on both side of the good game/bad game and what i HAVE to do when I'm blowing my opponent's ass outta the water is just go 100% running with my second string RB as well as my H-Back, BUT there are sometimes when i guess my opponent just quit trying to win all together so i still find myself scoring late in the game on long runs, so u know what i do? i just kneel the ball, i know its unsim but sometimes it may just be ur only option. thats just how my games have been in the recent seasons, i lose by less than a TD or the game is over by mid second quarter. now one of my main concerns in regards to a blowout is how should we play on defense if the game seems decided easily? anyone?

now, my main problem with this thread is the whole calling out another coach publicly. it think the best way this should have been handled was
    1.)a pm/text during game
    2.)a pm/text to a commish
    3.)a conference among the two coaches and a commish
    4.)finally, a thread discussion on the issue that doesn't result in name calling or finger pointing

/.02
    (y)

23. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Fordtuff>

I agree with the last part of your message.

24. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

oh, i forgot to talk about bump coverage, or wtf it really is, "Delayed BnR" now this is a very dominating strategy, but i found out that most coaches that uses this strategy and it gets beat, THEY USUALLY PANIC because that is the full extent of their defense(so it seems to me lol) so i suggest these types of plays;
    -twin hb gun
    -twin wr
    -wr trips or any type of play that overloads the defense
    -draws (any running plays really)
    -and most importantly, hb slip screens as well as the set up plays

25. fsupenguin

fsupenguin Walk On

I don't think taking knees outside of the last 2 mins of a game is needed. Pull your RBs and run it with a FB, your not going to be breaking long runs I would think then. As for defense, I have limited experience in this side of it lol, but I just man up cover 2 without blitzing, pretty much just guard against the deep pass.