Rule Discussion: Nano blitzes/Engage 8

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Rule Discussion: Nano blitzes/Engage 8

Ok, so long story short I was basically out of here leaving the league last night but Nate and Frisk have convinced me to stay.

We need a rule in place to prevent the Engage 8 nano blitzes from happening. I just thought that it was a given that people knew if you call engage 8 with a show blitz and/or an engage 8 with a DLine shift it results in a nano about 100% of the time where your QB doesnt have time to even hand off the ball before he is pulverized.

It happened to me, fine. Whatever. I'm still extremely pissed off....but let's make sure this isn't allowed to happen to other people.

Somebody else draw up a rule and lets get it in the book.

2. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Honestly I'm not sure how to nano, its been done to me plenty of times in ranked. Whats the difference between a goaline blitz A,B,C or gap stop, or jam middle where you bring your D-line in?

When I see a nano I'm thinking when LB's/Safetys/CBs are lined up in the gaps and are manually moved and then switched off. Usually a couple guys in man coverage and the user controls a guy who shoots the gap. The gap is cleared by the D-linemen who are sucking in the O-line. Since the user gets in the gap within 1 second its impossible to throw. Now for running I suspect the same.

I chose a 46 Defense against a 3rd and 1. Figuring you were going to run. You usually run with Norris up the middle in a situation like that, or you have the past 5 times we've played. So I sold out because I had to. An all out blitz. I took the Safety over the top incase it was a toss. DT Henderson hit brees when he went to toss it strong to the left. I've seen it done to me and I've done it to others before. It looked as if you audibled to the toss though.

What I'm saying is if i think/know its a FB or HB dive up the middle? Do I not punch my D-line? Do I not blitz everyone in the middle?

I didn't do anything I haven't done before. I got lucky. It happens within the game (albiet not very often) but that happened at a critical point.

I'm not sure of the rules of this but it should be cleared up as to formations or movements.

3. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I totally understand what you mean Mustang. 3rd and 1 you know whats coming, you have to sell out. But you have to keep in mind the cost/reward of show blitz. When you call a blitz the blitzers creep to their assigned gaps. When you call show blitz all players creep to gaps and the safeties move up. So if you are actually blitzing, calling the "show blitz" brings up the safeties and gives them a jump start on the blitz. Unfortunately AI blocking logic is so terrible that it cannot account for all the pressure.

In this situation I would have pinched the line and not showed the blitz. If I believed he was going to run a PA I would have called maybe a cover 2 or man press while showing blitz.

There is a lot of gray area here.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I believe the sack on QB in a run play happens when a up the middle run is audibled to a toss or sweep. I do not think it had anything to do with what Mustang did.

Did this happen multiple times in the game Dunlap or just on that one play?

From what I have read I do not think this warrants any kind of rule changes or additions.

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

It was not an audible. And yes Jeremy this certainly is something we want in our league.....just another Dunlap rant. You've got it bro.

6. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Unless Mustang was calling engage 8 alot during the game I don't see the problem with calling it on 3rd and 1. I've used this play in situations like that one. I just don't see the problem, granted whenever I've run engage 8 I never showed blitz too.

7. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Again I dont see a problem with what was done, unless it was what Frisk posted that causes the nano blitz. The only rule I think should be added is exactly what Frisk posted. Dunlap you are being way over sensitive about this and no one didnt 'support' you nor did anyone 'bash' you or call this a 'dunlap rant', so get over it man. This is getting way out of hand.

Frisk please post what you posted in the main forum that causes nano blitzes and I will get it added.