Rule Discussion: PA on 3rd downs

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Rule Discussion: PA on 3rd downs

We have had complaints about this recently, and to be honest way to much throughout our time here in the OMFL.

Playactions on 3rd down are overused so much it becomes unsim and frankly taking advantage of the AI. I never do it, and I can't think of any of the good sim owners on here do either (I don't think anybody on the board does it).

Simple solution. We ban play action on longer than 3rd and 5. Not realistic....its cheese and taking advantage of the AI.

Thoughts?

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I personally think a PA in a legitimate passing situation is bogus but some will argue that it happens IRL. I.E. Peyton Manning

3. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Well if it actually does affect the reaction of the CPU players then I say ban. An overuse of any play is illegal. I've never done that because I've never felt the advantage.

Ban it!

PS - and yes I agree it does happen in the NFL. The dolphins down by 10 with 2 minutes to go, on 4th and 15 will call a PA pass. Yea I know.

4. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I think that it is a great idea, but I think that if you were to pass this rule we should expect backlash from the Raiders and the Niners owners. I know they like to use PA on 3rd down alot.

5. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I am ok with adding this. I'd rather it be 3rd and 8, but it's splitting hairs. Let's get some more discussion from other guys here.

6. Emmdotfrisk

To be honest I can handle PA on 3rd and 5. 3rd and more than 8 is pushing it. But in these cases a quick PA is ok because it may freeze the LB's for a second. Now PA Boots or stretches on the other hand should never be used on 3rd and anything more than 5 yards.

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

True. I just know that what Bob said happened to him was unacceptable. He was getting PA'd on nearly every third down whether it was 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 14.

8. natedawg212000

NO, that's not cool. So do we want to do 3rd and 8?

9. Emmdotfrisk

yeah that gets obnoxious to me.......its like throwing nothing but curveballs in baseball, you can do it but it is extremely untraditional

10. Big D

Big D Walk On

I'd be fine with 3rd and 8 and then putting more language in there about no doing it repeatedly on 3rd down no matter what the situation. Something like 'You should have more regular passes on 3rd down than PA passes'. So a combination of the two.

11. Emmdotfrisk

Do we want to define what type of PA? Quick Pa, Stretch PA, Boot PA, Dive PA, Shotgun Sweep PA.

12. natedawg212000

I am good with that, I will add this also this weekend.

If someone wants to 'announce' both of these changes in the main forum and on psn that would be great.

13. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I think that 3rd and short is ok, but I am with your guys, 3rd and more than 5 is unrealistic 90% of the time. I support the rule that dunalp proposed. Does anyone know if the computer reaction to PA is fixed in 2011? Just curious

14. Big D

Big D Walk On

No I don't know.

Call me pessimistic, but I'm to the point where we apparently need to have all of these rules on the books because people can't police themselves.

15. Emmdotfrisk

Welcome to the real world Big D, you give people an inch, they take a mile.

16. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

I'll agree with whatever. If it really freezes the LBs and Safeties everytime then something must be done. I say 3rd and 5-6 should be the cut off.

One thing is though if a guy is coming out with a 1-2 WR set and you know hes gonna do a PA, then does that give you the right to choose a quarters/dime/nickel package?

17. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I will only PA on 3rd and 1 or 2, because alot of owners play the run. I agree we should create a rule against taking advantage of AI.

18. Big D

Big D Walk On

Guys, this kind of fell off the radar but I think we were in agreement to put something in writing. Let's get this done. My rule suggestion would be:

-No PA passes on 3rd and 8 or longer
    -You must run more normal passes than play action passes on third downs in your game

19. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Agreed on that rule. I know you said something about bobjr complaining about scikotic and doing the PA every time on 3rd. I know i was up most of the game but he never did it to me.