Rule Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Keller, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Rule Discussion

I wanted to open up the floor to any of the current owners and see if you guys had anything on your minds about rules, salary cap, etc. As I mentioned in the rules, this is our league, so I want you guys to be involved in some of the crucial aspects of forming the league IF you want to be.

I'll pose some questions to you guys and we'll go from there.

Advance schedule - Right now I'm thinking 2 advances a week. I'll just have two days and times out of the week picked and thats when I'll advance. IE Saturday afternoon and Wednesday evening. (Not what we're doing, just an example.) What would you guys prefer/be comfortable with. Is two advances enough or too slow or too fast or what?

Game difficulty/quarter length/clock runoff? Right now they are All-pro/9/15. I'm thinking that may be a LITTLE bit on the longer side but I'm not 100% sure yet. What do you guys think?

Gameflow - My preference would be to allow it if you want it but not require it. Some leagues are requiring it (none here that I'm aware of.) Where do you guys stand?

Salary Cap - Do you guys have any questions? Do you like whats been laid out so far? How do you feel about the Max $ rules? How about the FA bidding rules?

Are you guys at all worried about the 4th down rules or Wildcat rules... or any rules at all like motioning etc?

How do you guys feel about allowing the Hum/CPU trades? Do you think with a good system it can work or would you prefer it to be completely disallowed?

How would you guys like to run the rookie draft? Would you like to do it all in 1 night or what?

2. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

Advance schedule - A perfect world for me would be a 4-5 day advance schedule. Of course if everyone is done early, then you can move on to the next week ahead of time. This gives ample time for guys to find common times to play and not feel rushed. I enjoy parts of the league like weekly previews, players of the week, top plays from the week before, etc. I feel when you advance too fast, those features often get left behind. With a 4-5 day schedule, there's more time to digest the user content. We can still get through a season in about 2 1/2 months as the playoffs will advance quicker and there are bound to be weeks where everyone finishes early (especially right off the bat).

Game difficulty/quarter length/run-off - Not sure how the new game will play in terms of difficulty. Also, it will be interesting to see time wise where we end up. Last year, it seemed like 10-12 minute quarters with 15 second run-off produced the best stats. Perhaps we could have some users play preseason games on different settings to test out what we want to use.

Gameflow - No experience with it yet - can't comment.

Salary Cap - Love the concept. Has it been used before or is this a trial run with these rules?

Rules - seem pretty standard and straight forward to me.

Human/CPU trades - with the number of sim players on this site, are we thinking we'll need CPU owners? I'd say lets shoot for a 32 man user league - this then becomes a non-issue.

Rookie draft - IMO, works best if everyone is there for a one-night deal.

3. Keller

The salary cap architecture is, by and large, a tried and true method. There will be really talented teams that end up having to make tough decisions and there will be less fortunate teams that can really pursue some big time free agents.

The X factor this year is the new Max $ system. The goal is to limit those 1$ rookies who rush for 1500yards and their owners never have to pay more than a few $ for them. Its complicated, but I think its going to work.

We will certainly try to get 32 owners but that isn't always easy. Its a balance. Some guys involved will want to get moving or will move elsewhere AND some guys wll want to wait to get more. We'll find something that works.

I will do my best to coordinate with everyone a 1 night rookie draft. I too think its the best way to go, but there are alternatives.

4. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I've never used this salary method. I liked the free agent tag system that this league and TMFL had last year.

I'm sure I'll get used to the dollar cap.

5. Keller

I feel like its far and away the best system to use which is why I've chosen to go that route. If everyone is up in arms about using the FA tag system though, I would certainly go back to it, so long as that IS in fact what the owners want.

The cap just takes a few minutes of your time during the offseason as well as some careful planning. It can be quite strategic really. I love it.

6. dakota7

Yeah, I wasn't saying the salary system was bad, I've just never used it. I'm sure I'll get used to it.......or I'll screw it up and the rest of the NFC North will love it.

As far as getting to 32 users, I can tell you that last year we started with 32, but never stayed at 32. I think trying to maintain at 32 is a good goal, but realistically we should be shooting for a smaller number......24 or whatever. I think a few cpu games is a good thing. I'd even be ok with 16 and we just play on all-madden. Then if we go with 2 users in each division, everyone gets the same number of user games/cpu games. Playing on the highest difficulty doesn't make cpu games automatic (at least not for me).

Just some thoughts. As far as cpu/user trades........we could have a trade committee approve those.

7. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

I read all the rules and everything looks good so far. I like a 2 advances a week schedule. There are certainly going to be days during the week that I will not be able to get online, not to mention there are other games such as Halo coming out soon that I will be playing. I also like 9/15 for the game time and runoff. My only question is only moving players to certain positions on defense. D Ware in real life plays both DE and LB during the game. He also moves from the left to the right side. I understand that Ware is a beast and a exception because most players stick to their position and don't move around like Ware does. But, I like to move Ware around as well to utilize all his abilities. For instance, in a Dime set, I like to put Ware at LE or RE. Sometimes I have him drop into zones or to cover the flats, but I mostly use him to rush the passer. I like to use the Dime formation in passing situations, and the only other way to get him on the field during that formation is to sub him in to MLB, and that's a position he never plays. So I just wanted to bring it up since it's definitely something I like to do on defense.

8. Keller

Hmm. I don't see any problem with it. I know for a fact the Cowboys do stuff like that in real life PLUS I know other owners may have a player like that they wish to do the same thing with. Its not like you're subbing in a corner or something and looping around the tackle. Lets see what the other owners think but I'd say right now it seems good to go.

9. dakota7

I think you see a lot of that from teams today, particularly teams that run 3-4 defenses. I don't have a problem with a OLB putting a hand down in passing situations. I think those rules were created to prevent cheesers from moving CB's to DE....like keller said.

10. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

So, after reading this... would there be any problem with Dexter McCluster playing RB at random times? He's an Xfactor back so far for the Chiefs. They seem to use him as a Wes Welker / Reggie Bush / Jamaal Charles.

I'm not even sure if Madden will allow him in there, he's solely listed as a WR. But he was also one of the Chiefs running back in Preseason week 1 after TJones and JCharles were finished playing.

11. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

the only thing about advancing too fast is that you don't get to look at leaderboards, states, etc, so you really dont get a feel for the league. Last year the league I was in had player of the week votes and posts and a updated leaderboard offline for when people are at work, etc. to talk trash until the next week starts. Also had game of the week write ups etc, good stuff. I'm sure there would be volunteers to do all of that, just my two cents.

12. Keller

don't think we should set a precedent by saying the WR's at RB are universally allowed HOWEVER knowing Dexter McCluster, he could end up listed at that position anyways. If you can sub him in and want to, do so.

13. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

I had a question about one of the game play rules.

"03.02 - Motioning
    Motioning by backs and receivers is allowed. If the defense audibles before your motion is complete you must wait for the defense to get reset before snapping the ball, when possible. Otherwise, you are free to snap the ball when the Motion man reaches their spot on the field and the motion is complete. Multiple instances of motion prior to the same snap of the football will be frowned upon if done excessively or in a manner viewed to abuse the AI in the game."

Now say I'm running up the middle and wanted to motion a receiver inward to use as an extra blocker. Technically the motion wouldn't be complete because I would snap before he reached the end but then again there are plays that utilize auto-motion that have the same concept.

This also creates another issue. Say mid-motion the defense begins to adjust. For me to have to wait for them to set defeats the purpose of the motion in the first place and pretty much ruins that aspect of the play. I know this is all relatively minor but I wanted to get a clarification because it could be a potential problem.

14. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

I just want to say that I really like the idea of advancing on saturday afternoons/nights. I know I will be really really busy throughout the year, and having the opportunity to do all my games on the weekend is a very intriguing and luxurious option. I am not very sure of my availability throughout the week, so having the weekend to play 2 games is a very good idea.

15. Keller

Motioning in years past has caused problems with defensive AI which is why the rule is there. You used to be able to bring in a WR on a HB dive or FB dive and it was literally automatic which is not the way it should be, wouldn't you agree?

I realize that real teams do this in the NFL & there are automotion plays for it, but this is something we will keep in place for the time being unless everyone chimes in and is for allowing this sort of thing. The automotion plays do not mess with AI, so they are 100% allowed. Regular motion to help block, however, is not.

16. Keller

Duly noted.

17. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

Do you agree its a good idea?

18. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

Okay got it, wasn't aware of the problem with the AI. Would this also apply if I wanted to motion a receiver before the snap for a better angle on a route?

19. Keller

It always applies, to every player, receiver or otherwise. They must come to a stop before you snap.