Rule question

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by bcduggan, Nov 12, 2009.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Rule question

Can Pass interference be called on a pass that does not cross the line?

2. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

in what situation? game or irl?

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I don't think it matters. I believe a pass behind the l.o.s. is a lateral, and the receiver is fair game, just as if it was an option pitch or something.

4. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

no if the qb arm is going forward its a pass reguardless if it crosses the los...

i know in college you cant get DPI until the ball is in the air. most likely if the ball hasnt crossed then you probably wouldnt see a flag.. if guys were getting into it you would see possibly a defensive hold or something like that..

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

You're probably right.

6. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I am asking on a screen pass, not a lateral. The ball does not cross the LOS and it going forward.

I was asking irl, and in game.

My problem is that if it isn't called irl, then it should not be called in game.

Example: played LSU (cpu) in an onlinde dynasty game, 3rd down they called a screen, the DL rushing the QB touched the HB behind the line as he started going out for the screen. Pass Interference was called. The ball never crossed LOS.

7. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I believe NFL and college differ on this rule. NFL has a 5 yard bump rule. Anything beyond that is either defensive holding or defensive pass interference. PI is spot foul and Holding is 5 yds and automatic 1st. College does not have a bump rule. They do have PI and Holding. 15 yds and 5 yds respectively. Automatic first down with both calls. Now onto the PI call behind the line. Technically it can be called on any forward pass, whether behind or beyond the LOS. I cannot say I have ever seen it called on a screen pass IRL though. The other place I have seen it called on NCAA is on PA. I have tackled the RB on the fake and got called for the PI as the QB threw a pass to him. BS there. And there should never be PI called on a tipped pass. Just another point of emphasis.

Mike

8. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

It may have been play action but I called it a screen because there were 3 linemen leading the way.

They gave it a 5 yard penalty in the game and called it Pass Interference

9. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I am watching Texas So vs Grambling, and on a HB screen the DT grabbed the HB and held him before the pass. No pass inteference call, announcer said it was allowed.

10. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Is that a local channel or it is on Cable/dish?

11. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

sorry, it was on ESPN U