Announcement Rules Change / General Gameplay Discussion

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Shaun Mason, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Guys,

By now you all know that my biggest single pet peeve are unrealistic stats. I'm doing everything in my power to tune gameplay but there are still some incredible outliers.

Examples
    • Andre Johnson - Currently on pace to set to shatter all known NFL records.
    • MJD/Adrian Peterson - Both on pace to exceed 2,000 yards rushing.
    • The entire defense in St. Louis. Chris Long has 20 sacks through 8 games and in this weeks game Matrix Monkey broke the NFL record for sacks in a game with 14.
    • Passer rating as a whole.
    Before we even start this conversation, I am aware there is going to be three arguments. I'll remedy them right away.

1. "CPU games are skewing the stats for {insert player here}."

This IS a valid argument. I look at EVERY game recap and I can only recall ONE game where someone played the CPU and it wasn't a stat-whoring blowout. So, effective immediately:

If you can't get your game scheduled, it will be SIMMED. There will be NO MORE playing the woeful CPU. As a corollary to this rule; if I think you are avoiding games you will be removed from the league.

2. "Fix it with sliders"

Short answer: I'm trying my best. Some of these issues have opposite effects. I can't decrease the pass rush too much or passer ratings shoot through the roof. I can't bump up run defense without crippling anyone who doesn't have superman in the backfield. I will be making some changes tonight.

3. "{Insert Player Name} is a beast, of course he has 1239412 sacks/yards/catches

Bull-fucking-shit.

Frankly, I expect more from you guys. It shouldn't take 8 games for you to realize you are being a douche. I'm not above removing you. Guy have 20 sacks? We all know by now that the RT's can't block worth a shit. Move him to the other side.

On the other side: If you have an elite pass rusher on the defense across from you...don't exacerbate the problem by holding the ball and taking sacks. One of the reason some of the passer ratings are inflated is because guys aren't throwing balls away they would in real life. I'm guilty of this. Second, don't try to block JPP/Chris Long/etc with a tight end, or even a single tackle. There is a reason those guys get a running back chipping them all game. Learn to slide protect and keep a back in.

Receivers who are going crazy: Throw the ball to someone else. It's really that simple. Also, your offense SHOULD NOT CONSIST of a ton of deep throws. Frankly many of you would win more games if you stopped trying to chuck the ball 20 yards down the field 10 times a game. If you watch the NFL, most offenses throw that deep ball 3-4 times a game and only if it looks wide open.

Running backs: Virtually no one in the NFL carries it 20+ times with regularity anymore. Every team runs multiple backs.

Most of this should be common sense. I realize some of you have never played Madden (or not in a while). This isn't NCAA. NFL defenses are really good. If you are doing something that makes me think you are being a douche, it's because you are doing something douchey. Sim extends to play calling.

Discuss.

Keller
    SimFBallCritic
    CoachRedd
    Philstyle3005
    PAgamer07
    Kasper
    bawvu97
    Shaun Mason
    AzureEffect
    LSUTRUTH
    ZCar352
    Gravity
    Danthraxxx
    Big Suge Knight
    Cheez
    Baron
    sawemoff
    MoonBBad
    I Peench
    HovaTheGodMC
    Dru50
    Masler
    Timpegoose
    Philstyle3005
    capp34
    antcap24
    fuzzyl0gic
    TEClemson53
    Matrix Monkey
    JFace907
    JohnnyClutch

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 11
  2. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Shaun as a caviat to rule one I think you need to consider the following. The owner who made the better effort to schedule should get the sim in his favor. It's not fair if one owner makes and effort and the other's schedule blows for a particular week so you have to leave it up to a sim.

Every game can matter and I play every game like it matters. The goal is to get to the playoffs and if you lose a sim due to circumstances that I state above it would suck.

3. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    There is no way for me to determine a winner in a sim. Missing games should be infrequent, if it isn't, I will find another user for that team.

Frankly, people can't seem to not be douches against the CPU.

4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I guess I'm a retard because I don't know how anyone is doing any of this stuff. I have Mario and I can't get after the passer like those guys are. I have some decent RBs and I cannot put up those types of numbers unless I'm running counters and stretches every single play and I KNOW that people really aren't dumb enough to be doing that, right? Then as far as putting up crazy numbers to your best WR - I'm surprised defenses are even letting that happen. Is everyone just milking the easy completions?

Like I said, I don't even know how guys are accomplishing this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Neither do I. I realize I have zero talent in Cleveland, but some of this shit is terrible. Chris Long isn't that good.

I would suspect that in passing situations Matrix Monkey is running a lot of man and coverage sacks are killing people. I haven't played him though. People need to remember that running zone on rushing downs and man in passing downs isn't mixing it up.

I'm to the point where I'm honestly considering re-instituting game evaluations (which I hate doing because it's a ton of fucking work for me).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  6. MoonBBad

The majority of the long runs I have seen have come off stretch plays. Getting to the outside while the linebackers get sucked into blocks seems to be as effective as ever. And if you have a talented running back and are running him 25-30 times a game 15 of those probably are going to be outside the tackle runs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MoonBBad

You can't sim multiple times till you get the result you want? It's a shame we got to shut down CPU play due to this. This could screw people if the playoff/wild card race is real tight.

8. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I can't sim them at all. Games are resolved on the server when I advance.

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    1. You shouldn't be running 25-30 times a game with ONE back.
    2. No way the ratio of outside to inside should be close to 50/50. Outside runs are constraint plays. If anyone doesn't know what a constraint play is, I will educate you.

10. MoonBBad

I'm not saying I am I am saying what I have observed. I am trying to keep it like shanahan would an running a two back offense with Helu and Royster.

11. Keller

If we can remove people for breaking the passing record two times in 5 weeks then I don't think its a stretch to remove people for going ape shit with DEs, HBs or WRs.

Maybe with the pass rush thing people are abusing pass commit? I probably have used it like.... 5 times all year?

Just my .02

• Like Like x 3
  12. MoonBBad

Does pass commit help with the pass rush? I thought it was more for the secondary.

13. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

There is pass commit? lol

• Like Like x 6
  14. Keller

Fuzzy - yes.

Moon - It's just a hypothesis. I really have no clue if it does or doesn't.

15. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

In regards to Andre Johnson, I don't feel like I'm spamming him. Sure his stats are insane. He isn't really getting more than 7-10 looks a game. They also aren't all deep routes. The stats are ridiculous though and I will do my best to tone it back.

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    When I say "You" I don't mean you personally, I mean the collective "You".

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It isn't, and if that is what is necessary I will.

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Only way I know how to do is it via Kinect, lol.

I don't use the Kinect because I'm on the mic as much as possible, as should everyone.

19. Keller

I think its left trigger and up on the right stick maybe?

20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    If it is, there isn't any confirmation on the screen that you called it that I can remember.

21. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Shaun in my last 3 games i have been giving my carries through my RB EX last game MJD had 19, Jennings and Ballard had 7 each. So 14 for the other guys 19 for MJD how am I supposed to make that anymore even?

My run play calling is being tracked. Ex vs Masler last night MJD carried the ball 4 times on the dive, 4 on Inside Zone, 2 on HB blast, 4 on Power 0, and 5 on HB stretch. So 14 of his 19 runs were inside runs. Im not sure what else I can do. Alot of my big runs are from users shooting the gap with a LB because im running the ball inside so much. Then I finally run outside and they still try and shoot the gap.

22. Keller

Power 0, Inside Zone and HB Blast can all be easily taken outside. 5 stretch plays may also be too many, for my taste, but what do I know.

23. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Also what are we going to do about people on vacation? Thats not fair to the guy who is here

24. Keller

There is if you don't have those UI elements turned off (its in the options menu with auto strafe and such). I forget exactly what its called though.

25. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    What play did the 77 yard run come on?