Rules Changes to Cap Book - Based on Feedback

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Rules Changes to Cap Book - Based on Feedback

Okay, this rule does NOT affect current ownership in any way shape or form. However, it will affect this offseason (which is why I'm installing it NOW).

This is a rule we are installing to make capology simpler for all involved. This rule involves trades. I have posted the old way, then the new way, so you guys can compare how the new way we figure cap hits for trades looks compared to the old way.

Old way to do cap figures:

If a team works a trade with another team, both teams figure out how much in bonuses are paid to the players being traded. The team with the larger amount of bonuses takes a cap hit for the difference between their bonuses and the other team's bonuses. An example is below:

A blockbuster deal involving Colts QB Peyton Manning (overall 99, bonus of $5 million) and Chargers HB Ladainian Tomlinson (overall 94, bonus total of $3 million). The Colts have the larger cap hit based on bonuses paid to the players involved ($5 million versus $3 million). Therefore, the Colts take a $2 million cap hit for the season because they traded away more bonus than they took in from the trade.

New way to do trade cap figures:

If a team works a trade with another team, each team figures out how much in bonuses are paid to the players they are trading to the other team. *That amount of bonuses is the amount of cap hit a team takes to do the trade in question. *An example is below:

A blockbuster deal involving Colts QB Peyton Manning (overall 99, bonus of $5 million) and Chargers HB Ladainian Tomlinson (overall 94, bonus total of $3 million). *The Colts have a cap hit of $5 million dollars to make this trade (Peyton’s bonus salary as #1 QB), and the Chargers have a $3 million cap hit to make this trade (Tomlinson’s total bonus salary as #1 HB). *Both teams note this in their cap hits for the rest of the year and complete the trade.

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Any links to cap rulebook will reflect the NEW trading cap hit rules. PLEASE keep in mind that I am still wanting feedback on this cap system from ANY and ALL owners! Let me know what is good/bad about it via PM! I will look up the original post and bump it up. I want owners to be a driving force in making the cap system work for all involved and be as easy as possible.

Help me do this, guys. That is all I ask.

3. Miklos_Nyiszli

Miklos_Nyiszli Walk On

so i have a question then, on the blockbuster deals with the cap hit for the manning and LT can u also add money in those type of deals to make it where that person does not lose that cap hit?

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

At this time, we don't have any cash based deals to allow cash that owners may have under the cap to "pay" for cap hits to other team, or cash only based deals of any type.

Although if our efforts to make the cap book easier for owners to understand works, there is no reason we could not try to work something like this in. However, at this time, I personally think working a way to use just cash in transactions would be too complicated, and that is not the priority of what we are working on in simplifying our cap system in place now.

However, I must admit, it is an intriguing idea. If you have any other ideas/feedback, I'd love to hear them. :)