Rules Clarification

Discussion in 'Where Amazing Happens: NBA2k14 Online Association' started by majesty95, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

The rules thread was locked so I had to create a new thread.

In my game with Rhight I encountered some things that I thought we outside the scope of sim. Of course, I'm new to NBA league and am not a huge basketball fan so I really have no idea. Here is what I saw. Please help provide some clarification:
    • Half court press the entire game, even late when up 50. In fact, he went to a 1/2 court trap with about a minute to play.
    • Frequently swiping to steal the ball. He wound up with 20 steals. Some may have come from bad passes on my part (not sure how the game charts those), but I felt he was constantly in my face pressuring me, even up 30+ in the 4th.
    • Shooting threes late. Again, he was up 30 and kept shooting threes. He wound up taking 25 in a game he was up by 20 at the half and near 40 by the 3rd.
    • 74 points in the paint. Admittedly, I really have no clue how to play good defense but I really didn't see many jump shots unless they were threes. I couldn't have kept up with him had I tried to do that anyway but I was trying to run plays even though I still don't really grasp how to do them effectively.
    I'm not really calling him out. I just need some clarification. I'm used to looking at things through an NCAA or Madden scope so I don't know how things are viewed in basketball terms. It certainly wasn't fun for me and I was aggravated at the end. I'm just not sure if that was my fault, his or a combination of both? :oops:

2. Rhight

Rhight Walk On

The three's came due to u playing zone %90 of the game. I can't go in the post with u in a zone. 1-3-1 zone my man in the corner stayed open. On defense I ran one defense vs u the entire game. Man with pressure shooters. That's it. On a inbound that was stolen, it was actually the CPU who stole it, u threw it right to Battier. I couldn't run plays due to u being in zone, they where ineffective because vs zone u really just swing the ball and look for gaps in the defense. The only thing I did do was pressure ur point guard, when he was around the three point line. You threw a lot of lazy passes, which vs all the great defenders I have is not a smart thing. In all honesty the CPU forced a lot of your turnovers I stayed on my point guard %95 of the time on defense. I hope I don have to explain myself constantly, because I know basketball very well, and I follow the Heat religiously so I know the style they play. Hope I cleared some things up for u Majesty

3. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I will say this, I've found that people are playing way too aggressive on defense in many user games, trying to pick up my point guard right at half court. It's hard to run anything that looks like an NBA offense when you basically just have to call for a high screen and drive to the basket on the uber-aggressive defense. I played Rhight, and while I thought he definitely played aggressively on defense, he played a fairly SIM game. The fact that he's the Heat really doesn't help, they're a cheesy team and he has to play to their strengths, just like I expect the users with the Thunder, Clippers and Rockets will too.

As for any rules question, it's best to ask DC

4. majesty95

Well, I didn't play 1-3-1 much but I did run quite a bit of zone bc I remember Mark Cuban saying that is how the Mavs beat the Heat, lol. I really didn't know what else to do. When I did play man you blew past me.

As far as not getting into the paint, you scored 74 points from the paint. I'm not basketball guru but that seems high. I know I suck, but I'd like to see the number of non 3 point jumpers you had. I don't think it was many. Like I said I was trying to so the right thing and call plays but you were constantly trying to steal the ball. As soon as I crossed half court your PG was in my grill.

Like I said, I'm no basketball nut but it was a drastically different game then when I played KNICKSFAN_84 so that's why I posted. I got in trouble for questioning tactics privately in another league so I thought I would ask publicly so get input from multiple sources.

If you don't want to explain yourself then I'm not sure what to tell you. We are supposed to be a "community" site where people go to have fun. Nothing fun about losing by 50, having the guy draining 3's up 40 and going to a half court trap up 50....

5. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

I have seen the half court press as well.. I do not play press. I start d at around the 3 point line and let players get in the half court... But I know I suck and do not really know how to play this game.. My wins are always too dang close and hurt my head!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. majesty95

That's all I'm trying to figure out. Should I be running plays or playing willy nilly? Can I press the whole game or should I allow them to set up? The only thing that really irritated me was bombing threes and hacking for steals up 40 late in the game. I think that is universally unsportsmanlike in most games. :(

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

DC will make the rulings here but I agree, I'm f'ing tired of the constant half court pressure, and people picking my ballhandlers up 35 feet away from the basket with high pressure. Honestly, it's easy for me to beat. I have Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiter, Jarrett Jack and now Vince Carter. All are more than capable of breaking down pressure, especially if I bring a big man to set a pick that far away from the hoop. But the thing is, that basically becomes my offense against those users, and that's no fun. I love running plays. I hope we can move away from this constant halfcourt pressure nonsense

• Like Like x 1
  8. majesty95

"Sim" is like the unicorn it seems. Impossible to capture. At least in some settings....

9. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I mean for what it's worth I've had very little complaints about the games i've played with people and I've played just about everyone so far

10. majesty95

Ahh. Thought you were complaining about pressure, lol. I'll just do whatever my opponent is doing. I don't really know any better haha.

11. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I mean that's just one small critique but cheese vs. SIM isn't a black and white argument

12. majesty95

I know. That was kind of my point ;)

13. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

I was able as well to beat it with CP3, Crawford, and Collison but it was not enjoyable getting stolen on just crosses the half court!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rhight

Rhight Walk On

Only thing I have to say is I probably shot more threes than I should have, only because I was up. It's still a new game and we are all learning the in'a and out's. But I was not swiping for the ball constantly. I as a user have reached for a steal less than 10 time son the 4 user games I've played. Most all of my steals come from playing passing lanes by the CPU. I just dnt know what to do on offense when u play zone other than attack gaps and hit shoots. My whole life I've played basketball, and when it comes to attackg a zone def the thing that sticks in my head is "you got to shoot them out of it"

15. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Alright I will review this once I get to work and in front of my computer but you should be running plays 85% of the time. Ill have more once I can read all of this

16. DC

DC Shake n Bake

If someone is up by 50, then they need to be running plays and letting the clock run.

You should run plays 85% of the time, Fast breaks off of steals or loose balls are ok.

17. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Our knowledge of the game is not something that matters to us. Its playing realistically and also playing a fair game toward our opponent. We want to keep an enjoyable experience for everyone. We dont want someone upset because they were losing by a certain amount and having the score run up on them.

18. DC

DC Shake n Bake

This should be in a pm between the users and me MG and spayers from now on. The only reason I am allowing this open is because these are legitimate Concerns that we as a league can strive fix. I am hoping this does not result in name calling or abusive language. That could turn out to have some open spots in the league if so.

Eastern Conference
    Glen Cieske -- Milwaulkee Bucks
    Mr_West23 -- Chicago Bulls
    Spayer419 -- Cleveland Cavaliers
    Rhight -- Miami Heat
    KNICKSFAN_84 -- New York Knicks
    xFatJoe -- Brooklyn Nets
    jandy -- Indiana Pacers
    CTfromDC -- Washington Wizards

Western Conference
    krtgolfing -- LA Clippers
    robgman15 -- Houston Rockets
    DC -- Oklahoma City Thunder
    majesty95 -- Minnesota Timberwolves
    Luke -- Portland Trail Blazers
    _MG_ -- Golden State Warriors

19. Rhight

Rhight Walk On

How do u run plays vs zone defense? It makes no sense. The screens are ineffective Due to there not being a specific man for them to guard. I run a play every possession I ain't able to get on a fast break. Whether it's a quick post or isolation depending on my match up, but vs Maajesty and his zone def it was unrealistic to run plays. Yet I still ran them most of the game it's just with him being In a zone it left shooters open. I mean LeBron, wade and Bosh barely seen the floor in the 2nd half so it ain't like I tried to run the score up

20. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I tell you what. I actually agree with that. If someone is running alot of zone. You do attack inside, swing the ball etc. Defenses should mix it up as well. majesty95 you agree here?

EX
    http://www.coachesclipboard.net/ZoneOffense.html

21. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I mean you should not be primarily playing zone defense. But in generally defenses shouldn't be picking up till right at the three point line

22. Rhight

Rhight Walk On

I agree with that spayer! I've adjusted, even tho as I just played Chicago, Derrick Rose makes u adjust. There is no way I could pressure him

23. Mr_West23

Mr_West23 Walk On

Just played the Heat, lost by two on a Luol Deng gw 3pt miss. And I will say the Heat are the Heat, nobody likes the way they play in real life either.

• Like Like x 1
  24. DC

DC Shake n Bake

The heat should dominate most games. We can all agree with that. In the future be respectful of your opponent. If you are up by 30 or 40. run the clock til there are 7 or so secs left on the game clock.

calling this matter closed fellas.

25. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yeah I agree, but even when I was playing the Warriors and the Knicks they were picking up Kyrie at like halfcourt. And thats not even a good defensive strategy for Kyrie, but it's still annoying and repetitive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.