Rules Clarification?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by DrunkenSoldier, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

Rules Clarification?

G-Unit and I were playing are ACC Championship game(which was retarded) we got disconnected twice then we had to get back to the same point in the game, it took over 2 hrs to get are game in. Anyways my question is inthe 3rd quarter G-Unit had the ball on his own 39 yd line and the lead by 3 points , it was 4th and inches, i lined up with my punt return team and he runs a play. Dont u have to punt that?
    He said u can go for it because it was 4th and inches. I said u have to be on my side of the 50 to go for it. Just like to have a clarification.

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Jesus dude. Your that bent? And how many times are you going to say that our game was retarded? Yeah it sucks that we disconnected twice.

You dont need clarification. It's a judgment call. I run a triple option offense. My fullback gets more carries than any player on my team probably and the QB/Full Back Mid-Line Iso play is what I run 70% of the time in my entire offense.

I am up 3-0 in the ACC Champsionship Game on my own 39-yd line, I had been moving the ball running decently to that point. It's 4th & Inches.

Sorry dude I am probably going for that everytime considering the circumstances and the game. IT'S MY CHOICE, and it's realistic. Coaches all the time decide to leave the offense on the field in those same "4th & Inches" situations.

If it would have been 4th & 1, or more, I would have punted it. But 4th & Inches, sorry I am going to punch my 1st down ticket on 4th down 99% of the time and go for the kill.

I was in killer instinct mode. I am only up 3-0 late in the 3rd. And I am confident I could get a couple "Inches" with my offense.

Really a bland subject considering the fact on the next set of downs I fell short to 4th & 3 and punted.

And on another note, even if I didnt run the triple-option and I just run a standard offense or hell, Texas Tech's offense. I am probably still going for it on 4th and Inches. Sorry. I feel that's the User's choice on how aggressive he wants to be on a 4th and Inches situation. Like I said, anything more and I would have punted the ball.

3. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

Taken from Rules Post.

Going on 4th Down: I encourage straight play in this league, however, I do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, here is the rule on 4th downs:
    A. Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 3 yards or less to go, you are permitted to for it on 4th down.
    B. If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    C. If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.

Here is what the rules state. Doesnt really say anything about 4th and In. IMO I would say that in the situation presented I dont feel that the rules were broken. Had it been in the first qtr that would probably throw a red flag. but since its late in the 3rd in a 3-0 ballgame it would be reasonable to see that IRL a team would go for this. The game wasnt decided here from the summaries I read.

4. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Drunken,

From now on, take this to the commish via PM instead calling another user out on the boards.. The rules are a little cloudy in this type of situation and should be discussed as a group on how to move forward about adding another line of text in the rules..

IMO, that is still SIM play to me.. I have seen enough teams risk a 4th and Inches because they either have that much confidence in their offense and/or defense to get a stop if they are not successful..

5. Iron Mickey

Thanks Hack & T2

I think that the rules for the 4th & Inches should be looked at and possibly clarified clearer.

I felt that it was a good, realistic, SIM situation and I am glad you guys agree. I did not feel I was doing any wrong doing.

Like Hack & T2 said. Lots, and I mean lots of college coaches go for it on 4th & Inches regardless of the field position or score.

6. hawkeyes73

hawkeyes73 Guest

Not offend anyone but i got to side with my many gunit on this one. Like he said it was only inches, if it would have been 4th and 1 then he should punt

7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    What coach would go for 4th and inches that close to your opponents FG range only up by a FG? In a championship game? Close to none.

WHAT?!? It has EVERYTHING to do with field position and score. Ha, how could you say it doesn't?

Although I wouldn't have had a problem with you going for it in my league and it doesn't break any rules, it does fall in that "grey area". This leaves what is 'Sim' up to the interpretation of the users involved, obviously with there can be problems associated with this with people who don't quite get it. There is a discussion in The Deuce about this now. You should read it.

There is attitude radiating from both your posts, so you can cut that crap out now... both of you. This isn't how we act around here and it won't be tolerated again. Send a polite PM if you have a problem and if it needs to go beyond that, it should go to your commish, like Hack said. It's called sportsmanship guys, let's show a little more respect towards one another. We are a community of sim gamers, not just a bunch of competitive gamers vying for some kind of trophy.

8. Iron Mickey

Sorry Drifter, but you obviously dont watch much real college football, nor NFL. There is no "grey" in intrepeting wheither this is SIM or not.

A prime example in itself is the real GT Coach, Paul Johnson. I see it every week in real life when I go to Tech home games. Anyone that knows Paul Johnson knows hes a hardcore riverboat gambler. I would say I have seen him go for it in his own territory on fourth down and short "several" times this season.

On a second note, you talk about attitude radiating. From my side no there wasnt. I was just stating my case and defending myself and play. I dont need you talking to me like I am some punk fat kid stuck behind his mom's computer.

I have been here a while, played many user games, and have caused no issues with no one. I havent started jack or been disrespectful to no one, so lay off attacking me please. And dont threaten me.

9. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

I don't see anything wrong with what G-Unit did on fourth and inches or his reaction to the way Drunkensoldier called him out. And if the rules aren't clear then I think they need to be. Fourth and inches should be pretty much free game IMO.

10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    No attitude huh? I think you need to re-read your posts. Most notably the ones about "your" call and how "you" can do it because it's "your" game.

Please don't insult my football knowledge or how games should be played out in leagues. I've been doing this a lot longer than you. I could care less what you see at georgia tech games. What makes Paul Johnson the textbook of what to do? Please show me how many times real coaches like Jim Tressel and Pete Carrol make coaching decisions like that. Even someone like Bob Stoops, who is renowned for his aggressive playcalling wouldn't make that call. It's one of the fundamental coaching stigmas ever: "Do not give your opponent the ball in scoring position". Then you have to consider that you were only up by a FG. I'm not saying you should have punted, I'm just saying that it isn't a SMART coaching decision. This game doesn't represent the full effect of risk and reward that its real life counterpart does. And I will talk to you in the manner of which you act, which in this case, was a whiney, "punk fat kid stuck behind your mom's computer" trying to defend something the wrong way.

I wasn't calling you out as a player or member here. There is a "gray" area between the rules and what actually is sim, not in what is right or wrong. Of course, we could all sit down and hammer out a Sim-play bible, but we don't have that kind of time and we would still leave something out of every scenario. It's the nature of the beast that is online leagues.

11. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Well this got out of hand. I know two things: 1. Hack didn't seem to have a problem with the call or the response to DrunkenSoldier. 2. For someone who doesn't want confrontation on the boards SOMEONE'S posts are very confrontational.

How about we squash it and let hoodlum decide. I think I know what his response will be.

12. Iron Mickey

Whiney. lol. Wow, your on another level man. I havent whined about shit. Hell, I didnt even create this damn thread!!

Jim Fassel and Pete Carroll?? LoL. Those are some winners and great decision makers let me tell you. One is Coaching in the UFL now and Pete Carroll cant get his "all-star team" to be the likes of Oregon State and Washington....lol.

I will take Coah Paul Johnson's "text book" to winning any day over your coach's. Paul Johnson won lots of games leading our Country's once terrible Naval Academey back to contention with 235lbs offensive and defensive linemen.

Someone shut this damn thread down. From the looks of everyone's comments we know what was right and wrong.

I appreciate the guys who voiced there opinion on this subject. Thanks

13. Iron Mickey

Word man. Thanks

14. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

This thread is now closed.. Any further comments or concerns can be directed to me via PM...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.