Rules Committee reviews

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Rules Committee reviews

Nate and Jeremy,

A few things we need to start touching base on now to get out before the offseason starts for year 3. Figure we get it done now and worked out to avoid issues.

1. Bid minimums on free agents

We talked about this briefly while Cade was still around, but we never hardcore decided anything. Do we want to do a minimum of 3 bids per team per player on free agency? I personally think it's great as it'll force owners to think even more about their cap and bidding beforehand.

2. Draft

I know we talked about a 4 round draft, but we could possibly do more this go around. Web has the second year's draft class, so what I will do is try to get an offline franchise rolling with that draft class in it so I can do a full spreadsheet like last time. With Google Docs, I can update the spreadsheet while people watch, so we could make this process move a lot faster and get more rounds in, if you want. Just makes draft picks more valuable.

If we still stick with 4 rounds, though, we need to at least think about the value of those picks as "players" in trades in the offseason.

3. Cuts during offsesason

I don't think this is a "rule", per se, but it probably needs to be. No cutting of players that drop you below roster minimums in Madden (No FBs cut to drop you to 0 FBs, no below 2 WRs, etc.). Also, do we want to set a minimum roster to have in the offseason? I found out that you can cut down to 30 players in online franchise. Do we want to set a minimum of say 40 players or 35, or just the rule about no cutting below roster minimums?

Think that covers everything for now. Let me know if I'm missing anything and let's start these debates now to get these rules in place if we need these rules at all.

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I personally love the 3 bid max. I think it would force guys to poop or get off the pot.

I just think after 4 rounds, everyone's pooped. I wouldn't go more than 5, everyone gets burnt out and it will still take some time. I am not hardcore one way or the other on this.

I personally say they just can't cut below roster minimums, if we do that it would be something like this:
    1 qb
    1 rb
    1 fb
    2 wr
    1 te
    1 lt
    1 lg
    1 c
    1 rg
    1 rt
    1 le
    1 de
    2 dt
    1 lolb
    1 mlb
    1 rolb
    2 cb
    1 fs
    1 ss
    1 k
    1 p

that's not 30, but thats the minimums at each position, ya, no?

3. natedawg212000

also, can i get you to announce the sub format? please....

4. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

All sounds good to me.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I love the 3 bid minimum as well. The only thing we'll have to do is be more diligent about monitoring free agent bids as a whole, especially during the hectic offseason. Perhaps have everyone put in the subject line what bid number they are on as a requirement? It makes each post a pain to watch but if we get people in the habit now it won't be so bad later.

I can understand not wanting to do more than 4 rounds in a draft. It was a long process but I think with a year under our belt we can make it go smoother for 5 rounds.

I totally agree with you on the no dropping below roster minimums. If you can't physically cut the player, then you can't cut the player. Does that statement make sense? lol It was way too much hassle for Nate to keep track of everything.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I will resond to this in a second.

7. Jeremy

-I like the 3 bid max for FAs. Something like 1 of 3 or 1\3 could be put in every bid to keep track of bid counts.

-I think 4 rounds is plenty. With us knowing all the players ratings and potentials, all thats left is roster fillers and that can be taken care of in FA.

-If the game doesnt allow him to be cut you cant cut him,period.

8. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I love all 3 rules, especially the 3 bid rule.

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

So the rules committee is in agreement totally on the 3 bid rule as well as the minimum rosters rule. I'll post the changes to the document on google docs so all can see.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Finally getting around to changing rules. Added rules 10B and 26B. Bid minimums and roster minimums.

Please read and let me know if I need to change the wording.

11. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I was thinking about this over the weekend while the site was down. When we implement the 3 bid max rule, is there going to be some way to protect a bidder from being outbid by someone that not used any of their bids yet? For example, let’s say Win and I are both interested in a player. He opens the bidding at 10, then I go 12, then he raises to 15 and I counter with a bid of 18 hoping he doesn’t bid again. At this point we have both used 2 bids. Win counters with 20 and he is out of bids. I don’t want to go that high so I bail out. Then someone else comes in that was waiting the whole time and bids 21. Now Win can’t bid anymore. I don’t think I like that. I think there should be some kind of cut off for people that have already posted bids. In my example, if Win and I were the only ones bidding the first 24 hours, that the bidding will lock and only him and I would be able to bid the last 24 hours. I know this would be a little more difficult to track, but I think that we are opening a door for a lot of angry owners that get screwed the way my example is laid out. What do you guys think?

12. Big D

Big D Walk On

This is the exact example I laid out as well as I was worried. All I can say is use the loophole to your advantage...I know I'm going to. There's nothing else we can do.

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

If I'm really serious about a player, why wouldn't I bid 20 to start and run you out before I have to cash in my other 2 bids? We can play devil's advocate all day, but the bottom line is if you really want a player, you'll be smart and aggressive with your bids. With the 3 bid rule we are encouraging smarter FA bidding as a whole.

14. Jeremy

We can put a limit on when new bids can be placed.
    For example, I am the first owner to bid on John Doe. There is a 24 hr window for anyone else to come in and get involved in the bidding. After that 24hr window is up NO NEW OWNERS can place bids and the owners already involved commence on the bidding war.

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

We could do that as well, just add it to the mix as far as rules go. Nate, what do you think of doing a 24 hour window to jump into the mix?

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think that's a smart solution guys....what I wouldn't want to happen is say Nate and I get into a bidding war over drew brees...it takes us a couple days my final bid is 40 and nates is 41. Out of nowhere here comes Wajomatic witha bid of 42 to steal it from us as we have already used our 3 bids. Imagine if we have this reapeated over and over again. What I'd do as a smart guy is just wait until all of the bidding wars start to settle down before I place one of my 3 bids...I could just lie in the weeds and wait until all of the other interested parties have used up their allotted 3 bids and I keep swooping in and stealing players. We would have a whole mess on our hands. And trust me if I see this loophole the so do 90 percent of the other owners. Big mess we'd have.

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Yeah, that is a loophole. But if the same owner does that over and over, they will have to answer to me - cap guy. So I don't see how the same owner could do it over and over again.

What I could see though is people getting worried that someone would do that, and overbid for players just to scare people away. I know personally that my second bid would be my "go away" bid - to scare most of the vultures away, but enough to afford and still have a bid in pocket to bust someone.

18. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

So this is kind of what I was thinking. I laid it out on paper this morning to help explain. Let me know what you guys think.

3 Bid Rule:

Once the thread has started teams have 48 real hours to bid on that player, and no team is allowed more than 3 bids on a single player. If you really want a player and have been outmatched twice, your 3rd bid will have to be pretty convincing so no one else bids on that player.

Lock-In Rule:

There will be a Lock-In rule applied to FA bidding. The period to which a player may be bid on is 48 hours beginning with the first offer. The Lock-In rule states that after 40 hours no other team but the teams that have already made an offer may bid on that player.

This is to prevent teams from waiting in the shadows as team's bid against each other, and then coming in to the final hour or so and out bidding everyone else.

Here's an example of a bidding process:

Thread Title: QB Kurt Warner 93 (10)

First Bid - Baltimore Ravens - 12 (SAT AUG 1ST 12:30 PM)
    Next Bid - Denver Broncos - 14
    Next Bid - Baltimore Ravens - 15
    Next Bid - Jacksonville Jaguars - 16
    Next Bid - Denver Broncos - 17
    Next Bid - Carolina Panthers - 18
    ---40 HOURS HAS PASSED ---ONLY THE RAVENS, BRONCOS, PANTHERS, JAGS MAY BID----
    Next Bid - Baltimore Ravens - 20 (*BALTIMORE HAS NO MORE BIDS*)
    Next Bid - Denver Broncos - 21
    ---48 HOURS HAS PASSED ----BIDDING IS OVER----- (MON AUG 3RD 12:30PM)

In this case, the Broncos will sign Warner for a 21 point cap value.

Once a player is released the bidding process starts over again. Warner would start at 10.

19. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I got a simpler idea that sort of incorporates what you have, but it will make it more of a pain for the monitor of FA.

Instead of bidding outright for a player, a team lays claim to his rights (like a waiver wire is in baseball). Once that happens, all other teams have 24 hours to lay a claim to bid on that player's services. After those 24 hours have passed, then bidding can begin, but ONLY after the FA thread monitor or a board member has said bidding can begin.

If no other team than the original claim team makes a pass at the player, then the owner who claimed him gets him outright for minimum bid (no interest in player). If other teams claim him, then ONLY those teams that laid claim in 24 hours can bid.

We then go by the 3 bid rule.

How's that?

20. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Two examples of my system:

Example 1

I put a claim out on RT Mark Tauscher, 79 overall. No other teams within 24 hours post that they are interested in that player. After 24 hours, I am awarded Tauscher at the minimum of 7 points. No further bidding is needed as no other teams saw interest.

Example 2

I put a claim out on QB Ben Roethlisberger, 94 overall. In a 24 hour period, the Jags, Saints, Ravens, Panthers, and Steelers lay a claim to his rights as well. After the 24 hour period is expired, Jeremy (or another board member) says that bidding can begin. Now ONLY those teams above (including my Bucs) can make bids, and can make no more than 3 bids on Big Ben.

21. Jeremy

I like it Win.

22. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

The simpler the better. I like both ideas. Just a question though. How many claims would I be able to put in? Can I put one in on the top 3 FA's at one position and then bid on all 3 once the 24 hours has passed? Is there a limit? Just curious.

Also, I can help with some of the FA monitoring if Jeremy needs it.

23. natedawg212000

ya, then guys this doesnt solve anything at all. i'll just place a bid on every single player that i want and do the exact same thing that we are trying to stop from happening. in the real world if you want a player, then stop playing games and low balling him or going up by 1 pt each time. Bid for real, like you want to win the player. If a guy swoops in and steals your guy, then you better have a back up plan. I just think we are confusing a very simple thing here. Theres a loop hole to everything. My point with the 3 bids is you dont get to 'waste' them with a 1 point bid, bid for real. Trust me, if a player is 42 points and everyones out of bids, there won't be many like that who will swoop in and steal that player. I see the issue, but I just think we must be smart about your offseason and dont waste bids with a 1 point raise, if you do, then you get burnt.

24. natedawg212000

trying to stay in the same vein as you guys, what if we came up with some sort of limits on who they can go after in fa's?
    EX:
    3 players 85 ov and above
    4 players 75-84
    5 players 65-74
    unlimited 64 and below

Put this with their 3 bids per player rule, and how people have to really plan out their offseason and would force their hand a little bit more.

25. Jeremy

This might be far fetched but do you guys think we could somehow run a trial mock FA period with only the 3 bid max rule implemented and see how it works. Now that I am writing it, it does sound like a lot of work but the best way to iron out things like this is to actually see them in action.