Rules Committee Vote - Trades

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Jul 2, 2010.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Rules Committee Vote - Trades

I want to propose an adjustment to our trades.

I want to limit the deals to 3 players per trade (currently 4) and add an adjustment that states you are allowed 4 trades per offseason (up to 3 per) but you are only allowed 1 max trades per offseason (a max is consistent of 3 players from at least one team involved in the trade).

Follow me?

Trades that include picks can be up to 3 per and they can have up to 4 of those trades, as long as they only include 2 or less players. Teams are only allowed 1 trade per season/offseason that included the giving or receiving of 3 players.

Why am I doing this?

Because of this recent 'fantasy' building, that is true, that has been mentioned. NFL teams simply don't trade away 3 and 4 players per trade, it just doesn't happen.

I think by adding this we add realism and force teams to build via the draft and fa's like real NFL teams.

Discuss and Vote please.

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

sounds fine to me, I vote yes.

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

Rah...another 'Dunlap Rule." Damn was I really just that good as a GM? Lol.

Okay to make this rule more clear let's just say you can have X total number of items involved in trades per season. Let's say you can have 10 total items invloved in trades....(This means every player/pick you send or receive counts against this number).

This would still allow for creativity as a GM, and would be much easier to understand and follow.

This means I could make a 5 player trade with nate (send 5 players and receive 5)....however that would be the ONLY trade I could make as I would be at the limit of 10 items.

I don't like rules that quash creativity, but I understand there is a little too much wheeling and dealing going on. So how about this as a middle ground compromise?

4. natedawg212000

It's not a dunlap rule, if anything it's a nate rule because until last season I was really willing and dealing.

I don't really like the idea, personally, just because it will allow 5 player trades, and that's just not realistic at all.

Let's keep talking.

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

Yes but if they make a 5 player trade then they will be done for the year. I don't see anybody making 5 player trades when they realize they'd be done with trades...but if two respectable owners want to make a trade like that I don't think we should regulate that much.

I do agree with you Nate that trades are a bit out of hand. However we already have a rule in place that basically frowns on multi team trades. If we couple that with a new rule like you wrote above I think that would be us going a bit too far.

This is a league where a lot of guys (including me) have as much fun or more in doing the GM stuff for our teams.

Again I agree that we could modify our trade rules to make it better, but coupling the multi-team trade rule with a new rule like the one above would really really quash creativity....a bit too much in my view.

Maybe we need another board member to throw an idea in here? I dunno. If Jeremy feels like Nates rule above is fine then of course this is a democracy and I'd understand being out voted. But I just can't vote yes to that. :)

6. natedawg212000

Ya, let's see what Jeremy thinks. Again, I am not totally against your idea, but I do like mine better. Let's see what Jeremy thinks and we can figure it out. I could handle both ways.

7. natedawg212000

Dunlap and I have been discussing options and here is one:

what if we allowed 4 items per trade, but only 3 of those can be players and 4 trades per team. thats still 12 players one team can move per season. If they do a multiteam trade, the transaction simply counts for as many teams are involved. So a 3 team trade where all 3 teams send somethign to one another count as 3 trades for those 3 teams. if in a 3 team deal one team only trades with 1 of those teams and the other guys swap then its only 1 trade. follow me?

This would also be better if we went with my suggestion in the Cap Book thread about giving the top 3 rated players on each team a 'super star' boost to their cap number of 10 points, exactly like we do for high draft picks. We can even do top 6-8 players receive a boost. Top 3 get a 10 points boost, next 4 get a 8 point boost, next 3 get a 6 point boost.

Those numbers can be tweaked and agreed upon, but i thought it was a good idea.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I really think we need to limit the trades. They had gotten a little crazy especially in Year 3 but thats OK as it get excitement going.
    To add to this, I am not sure if this wasnt a big reason some teams stayed in the cellar and some were consistently in playoffs. We had lots of teams rape their rosters of good talent on bad trades. Trade review board did a great job but some owners just dont know to look past the OVR in a players rating.The seasoned owners do.

IMO, easiest way to do this is put a cap on the amount of players one team can acquire or lose regardless of the amount of trades it took him to do it.

Is 10 a good number?

I can recieve 4 players and lose 6 or I can recieve 5 and recieve 5. And I can do this in any amount of trades per year that I want.

Even when a new coach comes in with a different philosophy it takes him 2+ years to get his personnel correct. He shouldnt be able to turn over his roster in one offseason.

I am not a numbers guy but more of a K-I-S-S, so when Nate and Dunlap start with those equations my head starts smoking.Not to say it isnt a better idea, it just takes me 3-4 reads to get it.

9. Big D

Big D Walk On

Nate said he doesn't like 5 player trades, so how about we limit it to 8 'items' instead of 10 per season. (Not including draft picks).

How does that sound?

10. natedawg212000

well what if we allowed 10 items, only 8 of those items can be players, or only 4 trades per team. Which ever of those come first.

follow me?

11. Big D

Big D Walk On

Yup i like it

12. Jeremy

When does it reset. After OMFL Bowl?

13. Big D

Big D Walk On

Once we advance to the offseason....correct.

14. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Sounds fine to me.

15. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Sorry I know I am not a rules member but I have a question on trades and such. Is there a way we could implement a marquee player tag or something. Basically to stop some of the fantasy style trading. Each team has one player that can not be traded like Peyton Manning in example. It is just strange sometimes to see these franchise lifer players on other teams like a fantasy team. I know there is no way to really decide who is and who is not an untouchable player for every team just throwing an idea out there. If it is too much and not my place just tell me to shut up and worry about being the assistant cap and trade guy...

16. Jeremy

I thought same thing Dunn. Like a no trade list.

17. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

I think that was a more simple and easy way to say it then what I said, yes a no trade list. Also better for a new owner when he takes over and the team has it's franchise player.

18. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

I like your idea Nate

19. natedawg212000

Sorry that this fell off, this is my problem with that. I was in a league where you weren't allowed to do anything that was not going to happen in real life. As a coach, that's not fair. If i feel i can win without drew brees and without reggie bush, then as a gm in this league I should be allowed the freedom to make the moves that I need to make and get the team that I feel I need to win, on the field. This saints team I am taking over will have NO defense at all, just like the Saints team I took over last year. I MUST trade away star players on offense to get star players on defense so that I can compete. You will never see Colston traded, but he will be the FIRST person I move because he does NOT fit my style of offense that I run in the OMFL and would ride the bench. I get what you guys are saying about fantasy trading, but if you are that good of a GM to trade for a fantasy team, and the trades are even and fair and pass through our committee, then I don't see why you should be punished. Trading is what makes this league fun for over 75% of the owners because most of us know we will never win a bowl game or be in the playoffs. I want to limit the amount of player turnover, but I really don't want to limit the GM creativity to build and shape a team that fits them.

20. natedawg212000

Dunlap pointed out that we currently had only 4 items per trade and this would not allow a 2 for 3 type deal.

I agree with him. I think we should state 10 points, 8 of those points can be players, or 4 trades per, with no set of how many items you can send and receive per trade.

Well, now that I read that I dont know how much I like that either. The whole point was to come up with a system that kept teams from trading 6 players in one trade, or even 4 and 5 players in one trade.

So how do we do this?

What if we allow you to spend up to 3 player points per trade and receive up to 3 player points per trade and as many draft points both ways per trade?

This would allow a 3 for 3 player deal (which is a lot and will never happen in the NFL) and a 5 item for 5 item deal (which would use all of their points). This would also allow for a 1 draft pick for 4 draft pick type deals with high picks moving down.

thoughts?

21. Big D

Big D Walk On

Honestly, I don't think you will have any problem just going without a cap on max amount per trade. I don't think we will ever have a 5 player trade...and if we do it'll be like one or so for our entire Madden 11 run. I'd say lets add as little language to this as possible.

22. natedawg212000

Again, I don't agree with that (which is why we have a whole committee to discuss and vote). I never want to see a max 4 player for 4 player deal.

Let's keep discussing with the other guys and see. If I am in the minority here then I'll concede. It's not make or break for me.

23. Jeremy

I like this idea.

24. natedawg212000

I think the discussion is in here, if not we can bring it back up. It's up to you guys.

25. Jeremy

You guys know my feelings here.
    Allow draft pick trading with trade comittee approval and any owner that trades away any of their teams picks CANNOT swap ownership from that team for the entire run of madden 11.