Rules Discussion for Rule #8

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Dec 1, 2009.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Rules Discussion for Rule #8

8 - Position Changes
    You may only do position changes DURING the OFFSEASON. Here are the guidelines for valid position changes:

Offense
    QB (no subs - only qb's can play qb)
    HB (can sub to 4th/5th WR in a 4/5 WR set, but no WR's can play HB)
    FB (can play FB, HB, or TE)
    TE (can play any slot WR position, and a WR with 85 sp or lower can be a TE)
    WR (Can play TE if sp is lower than 85 and a HB or TE can play WR)
    All Oline Positions can be swapped

Defense
    D-line (can play any D-line position, DE's can be changed to OLB ONLY)
    LB's (can play any LB position, OLB can be DE's ONLY)
    SS or FS (are interchangeable)
    CB (no subs but can have a FS or SS play the CB position)

KR/PR (Any player eligible)

We are not discouraging package changes in the game, THAT IS ALLOWED.

This is a coaches tool to use and do not find issues with them when calling packages during the game.

Do not make moves with personnel before the game starts that puts a player in a position that is banned.

So to clarify, you may package sub in game, but you may not sub in game or in depth a player who can not play that position.

If your players are tired and the game auto-subs someone in then that is fine also.

This also means if your player needs to play another position that is ALLOWED he may do so and swap back and forth, but you can only permanently swap them in the offseason.

2. natedawg212000

I think we need to discuss this current rule. The game subs in players way often because players actually get tired in this game! I have no issue letting cb's and safeties interchange. any ways, thoughts and what we can do here to allow more flexibility. I know i've seen wrs playing safety when players get tired, auto-subed by cpu.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

My only suggestions:

HB (Can be your 3rd WR in your depth chart.)
    TE (can play anywhere in WR depth chart)
    O-Line(All positions interchangeable. Can be in the TE depth Chart.)

SS,FS & CB (All are interchangebale.)

All others can stay the same. We can alos take out WR playing TE. From what I have seen the game doesnt allow WR at TE.

4. natedawg212000

you can't sub a wr in te formation? hum.. thats something i'll have to look at.

btw, i like your idea and suggestion.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Jeremy appears to be on point with this one as well. Sure he gets tired of me agreeing with him, but I agree with him anyways.

6. natedawg212000

board members who did not give input here, you guys are KILLING ME. The whole point of having a board is having guys who are extremely active and will give me their input, and give it fast. I'll post this up.

7. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

What Jeremy said is fine. I think the biggest problem here is people just auto-reorder their rosters. I went through my roster and made sure that I don't have any CB's in my WR depth chart just because they are actually rated higher then some of my WR's and same with my CB's.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I do have a question that isn't really covered in the rules that I have not done yet, but would like to do if legal.

HB Earnest Graham for me (78 ovr) is better at FB (82 ovr) and actually in RL is a fullback first, halfback second. Can I start him in depth chart at FB or is that not legal? I have him as #2 behind Tahi (true FB) but was curious if I could put Graham, who is listed at HB, as starting FB. I didn't see where we COULDN'T do it, but I know we've discussed something like this before and I couldn't remember what we said about it.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I say HB-FB interchangeable

10. natedawg212000

imo, i dont want hb's playing fb. If you want a hb playing fb then you use the in game subs. i say tes and oline can play fb.

11. natedawg212000

reason is i dont want 97 speed fbs in this league.

12. natedawg212000

last comment and i'll see what you guys think, don't let my feelings on this sway you. its what we as a board decide. this to me is not a big deal one way or the other.

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

NP Nate. I understand your point. Just wanted clarification. Is it cool for me to even have him on depth chart then or shouldI remove him completely?

14. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I feel the same way as Nate on this.

15. natedawg212000

imo (and only mine) i don't want rbs in the depth chart of fbs as full time fb unless we put a speed limit on it. now if you want a 2 rbs in the back field (which i do sometimes) then you use the formation sub in the game.

16. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

i think DE-OLB and SS/FS-OLB should be allowed also. Honestly just CB/WR should be banned, thats really the only thing that can be abused.

17. natedawg212000

thoughts on mustangs comment? i donno what i feel about ss/fs to OLB. I am fine with DE to OLB

18. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Setting speed limits would help with keeping things under control from your point of view, Nate. That would be harder with SS/OLB, but I don't see a problem with SS/OLB. Could institute speed limit of 85 or lower can play OLB only, and for HB to FB, has to be below 80 speed.

There are drawbacks to putting a safety at OLB. Most of them are not great tacklers (not as good as OLB on average), excluding the very best safeties in the game. And, if I'm not mistaken, when you play at a different position you have lower awareness, which means if the player does not play as that player, the safety/linebacker will not be as good as a normal starting LB.

I like the rules as they are, honestly. Just wanted clarification on the rules.

19. natedawg212000

this is a totally new game, so i am willing to give all this a shot if you guys are.

20. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

My main question, since I'm new to online Madden, and still learning Madden 10 (Madden 06 was last Madden I hardcore played), is how can CB/WR be abused?

Also, to add to the depth chart stuff, you could make a HB that plays FB have a certain block rating or strength rating instead of speed. Same with safety/linebacker, substituting coverage/tackling skills or something like that. Just thinking outside the box a bit, I think.

21. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I for one don't see a need to put HB in at FB or SS/FS at OLB, minus running a 2 HB set occasionally. I dont see why this would be needed. 2 me it just feels like people want to do what ever they want for an advantage. I've always been that player who just rolls with what I have, but thats just me. What ever is decided, im fine with. Doesn't really matter to me im just here to have fun and enjoy playing people instead of winning almost everygame against the CPU and winning 5 SuperBowls in a row, because the CPU is so predictable.

22. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I would like predictability. It would mean a victory for me.

23. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I am late to conversation, but I wanted to get my input in. I may be in the minority, but I do not like to see players move around at all. I like to set my depth chart with players at their rightful position. One thing that me and my brother would always fight about was that he had Elvis Dumerville. When he played OLB he was around 75. When he put him at DE he would go up to a 98. I had a similar thing with Suggs on my team. He is around a 92 at OLB, but a 99 at DE. I never used him at DE because I thought that was unfair. I can also line up RB's and CB's at WR and have higher rating than my 4th WR, but I dont. I think the game should be as real as possible. Unless you are the Pats a few years ago, you shouldnt play a CB at WR or vice versa. I would have people set their depth charts correctly with positions. If the CPU subs someone in, there is nothing that we can do. Just my 2 cents. I know this may be harsh, but that Dumerville thing use to drive me nuts!

CB/WR should be banned

24. natedawg212000

ya, and it is. i dont like that either. i dont mind rbs at wr because that happens often. i guess my whole point is, this game still have flaws, but its the most complete madden i've ever played, especially when it comes to players playing positions. if a wr doenst have good hands, then hes not gonna catch the ball. it actually works in this years version. in past years you could make a 59 ov wr a stud if he was fast, but that aint happening any more.

25. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

So I've noticed. Half my roster is people that would have worked in Madden 06. Wow am I out of date.

But on the switching players deal...I personally like it. I like finding out a player is better at another position. I have 2 players (Tamba Hali and Brian Johnston) that are better DEs (75 and 66 ovr respectively) than their normal position of OLB (65 and 56 ovr respectively). It does add a bit to a team getting those kinds of players but wanting to run a different system. Say I'm running 3-4 right now but change to a 4-3. Those 2 OLBs now become solid DEs to back up my starters and I have flexibility. I think that is what I like most of all is flexibility to play players a bit out of position. I agree with how it is limited though.