Rules Discussion/Questions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Basis4aDay56, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Rules Discussion/Questions

Hey guys, just a heads up that the rules have been posted. Any questions, comments, or concerns can be posted here!

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

So as long as we have gave up no runs the pitcher can stay in all game?

And sacrifice bunts count towards your bunt total?

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Guess I'm not fully understanding the Throwing Behind the Runner section. Could you elaborate a little more?

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Correct.

Any bunt that is executed by anyone other than the pitcher counts towards the two that are allowed.

Don't try to throw the runner out at first base from the outfield on a base hit. You can throw behind any other runners -- some in other forums have alluded to how they think it should be banned because guys will then take extra bases. However, throwing behind runners all day isn't fundamental baseball, and any extra bases that guys can weasel off you are your own fault. Really though, the only RULE to take out of that section is to not attempt to throw the runner (the guy that just hit the ball) out at first base from the outfield.

5. Hova

Is that because it is possible in this game and not in real life? lol I say this because the CPU has done that too me

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I'm assuming you're talking about trying to throw the guy out at first from the outfield. It isn't sim/realistic to try to do that -- you never see that in the pros but for the RAREST of occasions. As such, we won't be doing it.

7. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I have a gameplay question.

I've only played one online game, and that was against Bondzai. It seemed like there was some lag when hitting in that game and I had to start my swing much sooner than when I play the cpu. Is that common in online games, or was it maybe just a glitch in our connection? What does everyone else think about the hitting in online games? I did wind up with 9 or 10 hits, but they were mostly on tipped off pitches.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed that or if it was just me.

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

There is always a very slight hitting lag. This is why I moved the pitch speed down to 75 from 85. At 85 online, you have to start your swing so fast that you can't read the pitch one iota with a hard thrower on the mound.

9. BDSDIGITAL

It's super cool that an issue like that can be addressed! Sounds great, thanks.

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Well the lag cannot be cut down, unfortunately. Also, the default pitch speed is 60, which is far too slow to be considered Major League Baseball. I think that once everyone is a couple games in playing on 75 pitch speed, they'll never look back. I expect some to be frustrated their first couple games, though.

11. Hova

How will personnel be handled? What if someone drops out? Can they be replaced or dropped? Also can new guys be added midseason?

12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

This will be a learn-as-we-go situation because I am not positive of any of that. I know that new guys can be brought in, but I'm not sure if they have to be the team that left. I know that if we can't fill it that I can sim a game for someone, but I don't know specifics on that either.

13. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

Does this mean that the first person to 5 games has free reign over the free agents?

14. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

i have some questions about pitching. You say we have a pitch max of 75 pitches unless we're throwing a no-hitter/perfect game/shutout. does that mean that if we lose that we have to take the pitcher out? I would be okay with that if it was the middle of the game, but if it happened late (8-9th inning) could our pitcher finish it out? Call me a cynic, but I have a feeling if we have to take out the pitcher once he loses it, someone is going to have a comeback win that might not have happened if the original guy stays in.

also i think the 75 pitch count is too short. i think with 75 pitches, if you're playing someone who is super patient at the plate, you'll probably burn through 75 pitches by 5-6th inning. the average number of pitches thrown per start is 100 IRL, so i would 95-100 is realistic for a video game.

15. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I agree about the pitch count. I think having it even a little higher will encourage guys to vary their pitches and set-up batters instead of always having to go for the 'out' pitch. Personally, I try to let my catcher call 80%-90% of my game. I get great variety and get pretty results.

That being said, I just checked out Basis' other league on the 2K site and I'm really impressed with how the league sites are done. Its neat to be able to check out updates stats and post pics/vids from games. Can't wait to get going with this.

16. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Sort of. The amount of moves are limited, and it is limited by overall rating. It hasn't been a problem in the league that I am in with this system.

If your guy is over 75 pitches and loses his no-hitter/shutout, he needs to come out ASAP. If your guy is at 75 pitches but throwing a no-hitter/shutout, you should always have someone warm in the bullpen ready to come in.

Well, I disagree, and I disagree based on experience I have had. Since you are supposed to throw 8/10 pitches as a strike, someone being super patient won't really have too much of an effect. The point of this is to get the bullpen involved, because it is far too easy to just leave your starter in for the whole game. We're going to start off on a 75 pitch limit and see how it goes. If every single game, every single pitcher is coming out of the game in the 5th inning SOLELY due to pitch count, then yes, that would be an issue. It won't happen like that, but if it does, we can discuss it again.

My post above really addresses this, so my only reason for responding to this is to reiterate that pitches should be thrown in the zone a minimum of 80% of the time, and pitches outside the zone should not be very far out of the zone. Bad gestures and poor command sometimes influences how far out of the zone pitches are, but you should be TRYING to keep it close.

The website functionality is absolutely amazing. The website is really the only reason I want to do this league, to be honest.

17. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I haven't played the game online yet. I take it lag makes throwing outside of the strike-zone difficult to judge?

18. BDSDIGITAL

I personally found it very difficult to judge except on fastballs, and that wasn't very easy either. I'm hoping the changes that Basis made will make it a little better.