Rules Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by dakota7, May 23, 2010.

1. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Rules Discussion

We've had quite a bit of turnover this past season, so I want to just touch on a few things that aren't actually in the rules thread for Climb The Ladder but have been understood to be banned in past seasons. For the most part, these are rules that you will find in virtually all TF leagues.

1) QB sneak banned. The play is automatic and there is no true way for the defense to stop it in short yardage.

2) Run Commit banned. Need I say more?

3) Pass Commit. Opinions? This is banned in most leagues, but I couldn't find a thread discussing or banning it here. It has very little negative impact on the defense, so my opinion is we ban it.

4) Aggressive gameplans. I'm ok with using it, but we need to mix it up.

5) Ace speed option. This play is easy to abuse, if you don't run it the way its designed. The play is meant to go wide off tackle, reading the DE or OLB and then making the decision on keeper or pitch. Because of the crappy AI, the QB is able to take it behind the guard for an automatic 3 or 4 yards, usually. This makes it kinda cheesy in short yardage. I don't have a problem with people running it wide, as designed. But using it in short yardage can really lead to problems, in my opinion. Thoughts?

6) 4th downs. This is addressed in the rules thread, defined as behind in the 2nd half or in your opponents territory with a yard or less to go. I feel that's a little too restrictive, often there are times where you're caught in a situation where you've got 4th and 4 in that gray area, too far for a field goal but too close to punt. I think a little relaxing of the rule and a lot of common sense should be enough on this topic.

Let me know what you guys think.

2. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

1. I agree. QB Banned is lame and should be banned.

2. Run Commit should definitely be banned. Nothing more to say there.

3. I personally think Pass Commit is bullshit as well and should be banned as well. There is clearly an effect as it makes the back 7-8 jump routes more often and intercept the ball pretty much any time that they get their hands on the ball.

4. Again, I think they should be banned or at least Jump the Snap, Big Hit, and Strip Ball unless in VERY special circumstances (3rd and long or down late, etc)

5. Really no comment on this one.

6. I agree. I usually go for it on their side of the field unless it's like 4th and 5 or more against the CPU because they're a cheating whore like that if they decide that they're going to actually play defense for once, which in turn makes me want to take it to them. Thus, I go for it most of the time on their side of the field.

3. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

1.) I agree with QB sneak ban. My only comment would be that if it is inches that QB sneak would be a true play in real game situations and is rarely stopped.
    2.) Run Committ should be absolutely banned...it is crap!
    3.) I am okay with using Pass committ. I understand MorsDraconis point about jumping routes. However, using Pass committ stops your DBs from biteing on play action on obvious passing downs such as 3rd and 7 or more.
    4.) I think aggressive should be banned especially on the defensive side of the ball. There really isn't anything the offense can do to counter it. I have had ball carrying on conservative and still had a fumbles caused by the aggresive big hit. If you want to have a big hit then use the hit stick.
    5.) Maybe it should be banned all together to stop the temptation from turning it up behind the gaurd.
    6.) I agree that the 4th down rule should be relaxed a little to account for the grey area. However, I think there still should be a yardage limit. Like if it's 4th and more than 5 yrds you need to punt or try a FG. This would stop the miracle 4th and 8yrd conversion.

These are just my thoughts. I will respect and follow all rules laid out by the league and the commish. I believe as long as we all try to play in the true spirit of the game we will continue to have great games.

4. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

1-4 I agree on the bans.
    5. I haven't had a problem with this playing users online or in other dynasties. If it's something that's been an issue in the past, I would agree with banning it.
    6. I agree with being able to go for it inside your oppenents 40 on 4th down.

5. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

1) Banned
    2) Banned
    3) Banned
    4) Prefer it be banned
    5) Case by case? If its a problem in a game send you footage?
    6) Define gray area. Is it for situations like you described? Is it for 4th and 1 on your own 48 or 49?

6. dakota7

6) I think you need to be across mid-field, in your opponents territory. It needs to be realistic. Most college kickers aren't making 55 yard field goals, but do you really want to punt on 4th and 5 in that situation? I think if its 4th and 5 inside your opponents 40, you can safely go for it.

7. dakota7

Generally speaking, play action passes on 3rd and 7 wouldn't be sim. In order to use play action effectively, the threat of a run play needs to be there and unless you're Georgia Tech, not too many schools are running the ball on 3rd and long. Essentially, play action passes in obvious passing situations shouldn't be a problem.

8. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I agree. Playaction on 3rd and long is bullshit and definitely should not be happening.

9. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

I agree with you, I was just trying to ask if your own 45-49 yardline on 4th and 1 is a gray area in your opinion and is open for interpretation. I have had games the last two seasons where people have gone for it even though the rule states otherwise. Maybe a re-wording of the rule is needed if you think this is a gray area?

10. dakota7

I agree........Do you think 4th and 5 or less anytime in your opponents territory is too much?

11. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

Generally speaking, I think its fine if you are between the 35-49 yardlines of your opponents territory. The 35 is still kind of no-mans land unless you have a really good kicker. Any closer than that though and you should probably be kicking a FG.

12. dakota7

Going on 4th Down: We want to be as sim as possible so here are a few guidelines for going for it on 4th down....

A. Whenever you are between your opponents 49 and 35 yard line with 5 yards or less to go, you are permitted to for it on 4th down. Inside the 35, it must be 4th and 2 or less.
    B. If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    C. If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.

How does this sound?

13. vBIG SLICKv

I think that sounds fair.

14. vBIG SLICKv

I think that sounds fair.

15. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

This sounds fine to me, can you edit the rules in the league description to reflect this?

16. dakota7

Yeah........I'll probably get to it tonight sometime

17. dakota7

Looks like we're in agreement with #1 and #2 and #3 (with one exception, sorry Slick.....democracy).

#4? This was a little closer......I say we ban it too.

#5--didn't seem to be a problem, so I'll just recommend that everyone uses a little common sense when calling/executing this play.

I edited the 4th down rule to reflect this:

Thanks guys