Rules Discussion

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Basis4aDay56, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Rules Discussion

Hey Shaun, are any of the rules negotiable? If so I guess I'll create this thread.

A couple things from me:

1) I'd like us to recruit on Heisman and have the only restriction of you can only sign as many as you have seniors + leave. I'm only 2 weeks into recruiting in my offline dynasty so maybe others can shed light on this...

2) Talking people into staying -- I'd like us to get rid of it, or say that anyone over 88 (so, 89+) that wants to go pro should be allowed to. Any transfers should be allowed to transfer even if they're dumb to do so.

That's really it -- the description thread is lookin good!

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Papa Perry, Bravejaf and I did a test OD yesterday to just try out recruiting. I used Miss St, Perry used Nevada and Brave used Penn St, with the goal being to see how competitive the CPU was vs users with different level teams. We ran one season (so far) on AA recruiting. The end of season rankings turned out with Penn St having the 19th rated overall class, Miss St with the 76th rated class and Nevada with the 95th rated class. Perry and I were pretty much stuck with recruiting nothing but 3 stars, and brave commented that he lost out on about 50% of the recruits that another CPU heavy hitter was chasing.

I don't know how much different it will be on Heisman, but it's looking like the CPU on AA is not going to be a pushover on recruiting.

Some things we noticed:
    • You better set your board early and start recruiting any guy you think you MAY need down the road. The days are gone where you can decide in week 8 that you need some more guys to recruit and find a bunch of 4 star talent unrecruited by anyone. By week 5, every player in the top 250 was heavily being recruited by one of the CPU teams.
    • Recruit ratings are really down this year. Again, only one season in, but I signed 2 4 star and 13 3 star recruits, with the highest rated player being a 67. Brave said that the highest 5 star he had (he signed 2) was in the low 70's.
    • Kicker/Punter recruits really suck. We're talking even the top recruits only have KPW in the C range.

Maybe someone can test it on Heisman and see how that looks, but like I said, I don't think people will be able to cherry-pick every recruit they want anymore, even on AA.

3. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Ryno seemed to agree with you on the podcast, AA sounds like the way to go for now.

4. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

As far as not talking people into staying, I can't find who it was that mentioned this, but it sounds like this year players are a lot more likely to leave early. I think the way that shaun has it set up on the description thread is a realistic way of doing it.

5. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I had 4 guys leaving early on USC in an offliner and was able to get them ALL to stay so the logic is still crap from that standpoint

6. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    --

I think that is pretty standard and will eliminate us being able to talk back everyone. The type of players listed above should be rare now that recruits trend lower and progress less.

--

As far as recruiting on Heisman, I haven't had the opportunity to recruit for a few seasons. What I would like to see is the extreme top end of the recruiting pool. Basically, what can Florida, Texas and USC recruit if a user is trying to get as many 5 stars as possible.

7. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Ya I was about to say that. We need to test ND, USC, Florida on Hiesman.

8. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

I think Shuan's recruiting and asking players to stay is the way to go... I would however extend the players leaving section to include redshirt Sophomores that win major awards... which basically means anyone going pro that has won a major award won't stay if they opt to leave.

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

From the limited testing I've done, I'd imagine that AA recruiting will be enough. The following quote from Dru is very promising. PSU, who was recruiting only against the CPU (since the other 2 users couldn't recruit top tier talent) ony signed 2 5*s. Add in some extra top tier recruiters, and it looks like it'll be tough

10. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

You've got to remember that it's new(ish) recruiting system. So people have yet to find a way to recruit efficiently.

BTW - did they test it with promises, or not.

11. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Yes, we had zero rules in our test aside from the fact that we all only recruited players so that we wouldn't go over 70 total.

Perry used no promises, I made at least one promise (no redshirt) to every recruit and I believe brave did as well for PSU.

The promises aren't as effective as in last year, a promise will seem to net you somewhere between 60-200 points depending on the recruits interest in the pitch related to the promise. But you can only do it 3 times total, and I believe the CPU was using them based on how many points they would accumulate week to week.

We didn't test how a failed promise will work yet.

Also, we tried to recruit a guy that didn't have us initially in his top 10, with zero success. All in all, the CPU is far better at recruiting, and the main thing everyone will have to do is identify your need positions early and make sure you at minimum start recruiting guys to fill those early, even if you are only spending 10-20 minutes. You can't find squat to recruit after week 4 or 5, the CPU doesn't leave any stone unturned.

I plan on doing a test offline dynasty with Texas on Heisman across the board. I've been playing my games with San Diego St and Miss St thus far, so my failure at doing anything well (I went 2-7 in games yesterday, including 1-5 in user games) hopefully stems from the lack of talent on those two teams.

12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

My offline OD is as Auburn: a decent team that has 5* prestige, pipelines are AL and FL. So far only done 2 weeks of recruiting on Heisman so the jury is still out.

13. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Maybe I overlooked this somewhere, but could someone please clarify.

1) Are gameplan settings allowed?
    2) Are we allowed to offer more scholly's then we have available?
    3) Are run/pass commit allowed?
    4) Can you key on WR's?

Got my first user game coming up and just want to make sure I'm not at a disadvantage. Gonna need all the help I can get against those highly overrated Alabamians....Alabamans

14. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    1) Yes
    2) I don't care, but if you sign more than you should you will get the death penalty
    3) Yes
    4) Yes

All the Yes answers above come with the expectation you can do it without being a douche.

15. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Yeah, but only douches use gameplanning. :D

... on a serious note.

Agressive line is worse then before, you can't even draw a person offsides this year.

Pass commit is really enchances a blitz... I'd be for it in third and 9+, to make it more realistic for users to fear being stuck in 3 and "oh shit" long.

Personally I think GP and commiting should never be used against the cpu, and yes GP/commit can be used in a realistic manner... but I hate anything that enchances talent like aggressive D-Line.

16. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    What are the rules on talking palyers from leaving? With my recruiting class and the performance of my QB and WR i may be screwed.

17. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

From the league description sticky:

18. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Thanks Jello. Time to sit them for a few quarters after the Texas game.