rules question

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bcduggan, Dec 8, 2009.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

rules question

4th and 1 team with ball is up 3 with under a minute left in game. They are in FG range. Losing team (defense) has no timeouts. Can the team leading go for it on 4th down?

This situation came up in LSU's game, I wanted to go for it. However, I kicked a FG though. I believe most teams would have went for it though.

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Personally, thats a tough call. I guess it just depends on your style. I myself probably kick the FG and make them drive the entire field to beat me. But I could see where someone wants to go for the "kill". Especially if it's in their territory.

3. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

By this answer, I could have went for it. I wanted to go for it, I chose not to because of what I thought rule was. If I was on D in that situation I would have expected my opponent to try to run clock out. I was only asking because in other "sim" dynasties, not on trad, I got chewed out for going for it in situations like that.

If it was my half of the field or close to midfield, I would have punted no questions asked. I'm not Belicheck. lol

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I honestly cant see where anyone can complain if the ball is in "their territory" (say, anything inside the 35-yd line). Because only up three points, a FG doesnt put the game out of reach for your opponent. They could still score on the next possesion and win the game. A first down ends the game entirely. Or if you dont get it, they still would have to drive a significate length of the field to tie or win the game.

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

funny thing was how the game played out, if I went for it and failed Wisconsin gets ball back down 3 ball in about same location but with 10 seconds more on clock, that's one more play for him.

6. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

i would say it matters where exactly on the field u were. if it was a long fieldgoal u could miss and leave them a shorter field i say go for it. if its a sure fg i say put the 3 on the board is realistic. one other exception would be the score of the game. was this a shootout where both teams were scoring like crazy? if so then maybe u go for it because u know ur d wont stop him a la bill belichek. thats a tough one though and i could see both sides of it

7. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

FG was I believe 45-50 yards out, I knew I had a good chance of making the kick even though it was a road game.

8. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

Bcduggan-

I expected you to go for it and forgot about that rule at the time. In that situation (especially with the way you were running the ball), you would have been justified in bypassing the field goal. Isn't three yards the cutoff?

9. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

tuco i could be wrong but i think he said this was in another dynasty not on tradition. unless u are in that dynasty too.

10. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

BC,

In most user games, there is almost always a situation that falls in a gray area that is tough to define by any rule.. Most of the rules we have arent necessarily the concrete answer for every situation in the game, and there are times where a player may elect to "stretch" a rule to make a play..

IE.. Going for it on 4th down when you are out of FG range, but punting a touchback may only add 10-15 yards.. Some coaches may elect to go for it in this situation..

As long as you show your opponent respect throughout the entire game, and only take advantage of these gray areas a minimal amount of times in a game.. then there should not be an issue.. That is the great thing about this site, is that we try to build relationships where you start to know your opponent more after each season, and start to learn these situations that they may go beyond the rules a bit and stay in the realm of sim play..

If there is ever a situation where it is realistic to make a play call that slips slightly outside what the rules state, as long as you give your opponent some respect by giving him advanced notice so that he doesnt end up getting screwed .. (IE electing to go for it on 4th, and your oppoenent comes out in FG Block.. pause the game and send a quick PM that says "going for it".. )

11. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I did ask my opponent about going for it, I don't think he responded to my question. If I went for it, he would have seen I was in an actual formation, most likely goal line, instead of FG formation though, if he had an issue he could have paused it then and I would have called TO or taken delay penalty and gone from there.

I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions on this.

Brian

12. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

You could have gone for it. It's a tricky spot to be in but you are free to go for it in that situation andthat's what I would have done. Thanks for airing on the side of caution though since you weren't positive about the rule.

13. shadowofanubis66

shadowofanubis66 Walk On

I'd have gone for it. My philosophy was that if you are that close to a first... you kill the game off right then and there. Plenty of things can go wrong if you are defending against 5 receiver sets for an entire drive and stopping someone from gaining one yard is very difficult to do. Perhaps i was pretty aggressive as a coach, but i'd always put the pressure on the other guy to stop me. Only one person ever has in 4 seasons.