Rules Reworking?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, there are some rules that I think we can eliminate or redo, and I will give my reasons why in this post. Let me know if you think I am completely off base or what:

Base Defense: Switch up your formations; no team runs a 4-6 def the whole game. And also don’t use the same defensive play every down. You should have 5-8 defensive plays to use given the situation (Down and Distance). EXCEPTION: The 4-4 defense can be used as your main defense.

Okay, my thing here is what it states in the rule: no team runs a 4-6 the whole game. This rule does NOT state what the main base defenses are. I would suggest making the 4-3 or 3-4 the only defenses playable on a given basis. The 4-4 and 4-6 should be a change of pace (no more than say 25% of the time, but no percentage needs be listed in the rules), not constant defenses. No one uses the 4-4 all the time either.

Multi Defenses: 1-5-5 is NOT ALLOWED. 4-3/4-6/3-4 should not be used vs 4+ wr set unlesss short yardage or 1st down. Mix it up, as per rules.

Why did we outlaw the 1-5-5? Was it in Madden 10 or 11? I think we should allow this defense, again as a change of pace type defense. Take this rule out for the most part. I personally say we should require personnel matchups on defense. If the team brings out 3 WRs, the defense HAS to match up with 3 CBs. 4 WRs = 4 CBs. Now if teams take advantage and run draws and delays all the time in these setups, then we change this. But if someone IS doing that all the time, they aren't being sim, are they?

Defensive players rushing: You must rush at least 3 players per play, every play.

I know this was a Madden 10 rule because of the completely retarded nature of zone coverage in that game. I think we could eliminate this. Honestly, how many plays in the defensive playbook have just two rushing players? Not many unless you're running a complete prevent.

Any percentage based declarations of run/pass percentages, as well as throwing percentages to the HB/FB, should be taken out as far as the specific percentage. My reasoning for this is very simple: we have XFN. XFN is stat central. We can easily look at who is getting unsim as far as their pass/run ratio, and throwing to HBs versus WRs/TEs. If we see a discrepancy, we issue warnings. Compare stats of run/pass ratio versus the NFL norm. Could even have someone police that and check the stat books from time to time and report on it. Maybe like an audit of teams every week starting in week 7. Check their run/pass stats versus an NFL norm. Does this part make sense?

Wildcat:
    Wildcat is limited to no more than 4 times a game and never on back to back plays

WR Screen:
    WR screen is limited to no more than 4 times a game and never on back to back plays.

Wildcat in Madden 10 was crazy overpowered. And with our constant issues with screens from Madden 10, I understand these rules. Perhaps a revisit of the amount of times/game these plays can be run? I think 4 screens per game, with all the blitzing going on, is a bit low. Maybe expand to 6? Definitely not back-to-back plays, though. Wildcat I think could be run as much as 10 times per game. I've not seen anyone run one single wildcat play against me this year. I mean the year of Madden 11. None in OMFL seasons 4 or 5 as of yet.

QB runs: No more than 6 times a game not including sneaks. I prefer not as a first option, only if chased or if nothing open. After looking downfield for recievers, play sim please.

Again, a rule I understand but I think it needs to be expanded a bit. 6 rushes per game with a mobile quarterback is kind of low. I'm not suggesting a hugely large number, though. I think 8 would be sufficient, OR 10 including sneaks. I also do not personally like the rule of not using as a first option. I usually call one play a game (just one) where I do not even bother looking downfield with Garrard and just roll out right and run with it. This gives the defense another wrinkle to worry about. This one is dicey, but I think we can relax a bit on it.

I think this about covers it. Let me know how crazy or on point I may be.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I have some thoughts that I will post later.

3. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

I am just worried about adding more rules mid season...

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

More of a refresh. Lord knows I don't want more rules.

5. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I dont agree, just my opinion, with doing anythign to any of the O rules that you posted. I think they are good solid rules to have and I dont want to change them. Just my thoughts. D rules I can be talked out of. I still think the 1-1-5 or whatever it a total cheese D though and no one ever doesn't rush less than 3 players in the NFL.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

In a prevent defense I know I have seen 2 rushers and 9 in coverage. To be fair, though, there is two or three plays that call for 9 in coverage, so it's not like it can be abused.

As far as the offensive stuff, to each his own opinion, I guess.

7. natedawg212000

Again, I am not the ruling voice, I am only counted when its a tie. So this is still wide open for discussion.

8. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

I sorta agree with winny about the rushing 3 rule but if we dropped that rule, it would open a huge gray area with the abuse of dropping 11 players in coverage via defensive hotroutes and arnt we having problems with that anyways?

9. natedawg212000

yes ox. its becoming a big problem. since the discussion though it seems to have fixed things.