Rules Updated

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

With the season coming to a close, some things needed updating.

I updated our Salary Cap/Roster Management thread. I revised the old Max $ system to make it simpler. Many of you do not even know this exists; now would be a good time to familiarize yourself with how it works.
    http://forums.traditionsportsonline...ap-roster-management-rules.36601/#post-375505

I updated our Rules and Expectations thread to include our Disconnect/Lag guideline. Its not much, but its at least something for owners to follow.
    http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/tmfl-rules-expectations.37420/

Please post here with any questions or concerns.

2. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

I would like a rule added that Rush has to play left handed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

I could play with my ass. Lol. It's a inside joke between me and Keller.

4. ChickenOfTheSea

man, that's just wrong :)

5. Keller

Goes back to the Halo glory days.

6. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

How much fun would it be to go back and relive one of those Halo parties? Those were the days.

I probably wouldn't even have a Xbox if it wasn't for Halo. I'd probably be a Sony guy [​IMG]. Thank God that didn't happen.

7. Keller

We tried and they always fail. Its just not the same.

8. JoHud

JoHud Walk On

I have read the new max$$$ rules and now realize I should just be kneeling on the ball starting in the 1st qtr lol. I guess the only bonus is I suspect most people have not read them so free agency should be ripe with players.

9. Keller

If the system totally breaks everything - we'll revise it. In my head at least, I think it will work. There shouldn't be any players who are putting up 2000yd seasons and not being compensated as such, that's the goal.

It should also help keep scores down.

10. JoHud

JoHud Walk On

There seems to be a lot that is subjective.

For instance, QB Matt Ryan had hall of fame like year, but his OVR is getting really high as well so by default he would already be paid as one of the highest QB's in the league, and you could argue his stats are some what unrealistic. Or to put it a better way, one of the things you want to avoid.

Now my WR Schillins is 79 OVR, and my 2nd best WR by only 2 OVR points. He has like 36 catches, 600+ yards, and 8 TD's. Id say very realistic stats for a big tall goaline type WR. Based on the fact he hits 8 TDs, he will qualify for a max money accelerator, but a very subjective one. I can not say now what that would be.

So we have 2 players. 1 had a very madden like year :), and the other had a below avg for the most part, but had 8 TD's. My salary is way more likely to be affected Because Ryan's OVR when his contract is up will most likely put him at the highest level anyways. Schillings will probably not move much based on a B pot and having a couple years under his belt.

It seems like its set up to greatly hurt teams that don't have a lot of great players. My #1 WR is 81 OVR, so lower OVR players will see more touches, and thus are more likely to hit the thresholds, and thus demand more money, which leads to either bad teams paying more for the avg players they have or releasing them and starting the cycle over.

I am not too worried about it, but I do wonder how many people are aware of them. Did you see Vince Young's season?

Of course I will have to bench Joe Web for the last game to avoid hitting them. Lucky for the Bills!

11. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

lol Peyton Hillis had 974 yards and that was part of the reason I didn't play him the last few games and got Hardesty some work, since I just resigned Hillis, don't need him hitting even more accelerators for me.

12. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

I feel like this could turn into a problem @keller. i dont think its right that people can bench players to avoid cap penalties. seems kinda unsim

13. ChickenOfTheSea

So just stirring the pot here, I was unfortunate to have to work throughout all of the past season and not be able to play my games. so I didn't have to address this. But it does beg the question, like the Browns playing it smart, have their seed locked up, so its in their interest to rest starters who may also be close to contract accelerators. something you could easily see in an NFL game. I remember when Sean Alexander was a yard short of 1500 one season and in the final game of the year, with a 3rd and 2 on the goal-line, Holmgren who was in a mini pissing contest with Alexander called timeout and ran a passing play that was later rumored to have been done deliberately to prevent Alexander from hitting an accelerator.

The reason I bring this up is, what if the Seahawks Mike Williams was 3 catches from a 100 reception season in TMFL and I bench him to avoid the extra expense, its a great move form the sim owner perspective. But in the interest of realism, wouldn't the player potentially be pissed? hes in it for the team but hes also healthy, and want his extra million bucks.

@JoHud From one bad team to another, I'm with you in some ways, but by the same token you always hear that bad teams have to pay more to keep average players and usually lose their studs to bigger market teams. Maybe its true :) or maybe the odds are that a cruddy QB and average receivers will have a much lower chance of hitting accelerators? Hypothetically, your $8, 82 Ovr WR is not going to cost you 8 dollars until his 3 year deal is up, at which point he may be a 90 receiver, or maybe you trade him, draft a better one and release him, etc
    Who knows. if hes a 1 year guy, thats a little worse. But is it worse than having Matt Ryan and Roddy White and Michael Turner on one team? Where you are going to end up with the top guy at 3 positions, and a higher number of higher rated therefore more expensive players? meaning you will have to release some of that better tier talent to keep your top guys, and the pool improves for us weaker teams? I think we will know a lot more come this off season.

14. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I didn't see it as a benching, I saw it as a way to avoid injury and get some carries for my young RB in Hardesty so he could possibly be the man to split carries with Hillis down the line. I don't see it as unsim. I see it as a smart move on my part, I also got in my rookie RT some work the least few games and my rookie CB in to get him some work. Is that unsim, because as you see during the year more and more rookies play as the season goes along to get them some more experience. I do not see any problem in what I did.

15. yankeery25

yankeery25 Banned

I dont think your specific case is a problem, but i said it "could turn into a problem." if i benched cj2k for javon ringer to avoid paying cj more, that wouldnt be good...

16. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

As a team owner that is up to you, you need to manage your salary cap so how you do it is completely up to you, if you think you could win the game with Javon Ringer instead of CJ well so be it that is up to you.

17. JoHud

JoHud Walk On

Good points, I think the "intent" of this is to keep people from just railing the CPU and putting up ridicules numbers as I am sure we have all seen in other leagues. So my main point was the fact that my WR could end up costing me much more for a below average season while Matt Ryan since already going to cost him a bunch really has no reason to not just rail the CPU since he will already cost so much. Maybe those record breaking seasons should have additional costs.....

Just good to get more people discussing it.

18. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I do understand your statement, the risk of putting up ridiculous stats with Matt Ryan is the risk of injury, as well as the risk of non-balanced offense. If you just want to sit back and throw all game long with a QB and not run the ball you should be sanctioned for it. It is in our rules stating that you need to be a balanced offense unless your down by a considerable margin. With a player like Ryan or Roddy White, when they get up by a decent amount against the CPU they should be pulling their starters as to not have ridiculous scores against the CPU and that is another one of rules is to not run up the score against the CPU or against any opponent, as that too will lead to sanctions by the commissioner it says so playing with Ryan or Roddy for example is a risk and does come with consequences if they continue to pile up big numbers unjustly. (Using Ryan and White since that's what was being used by JoHud)

19. Keller

The idea is to prevent teams from having players put up monster numbers for them and still be able to pay them like they didn't just have a monster season. If your players have a big year, they will demand to be compensated.

If I find that things are so ridiculous that we cant field good teams, I'll adjust it. Like I said; at least in my head, it makes sense.