Run Commit?

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by Full Moon Fever, Aug 8, 2012.

?

Should Run Commit be allowed?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2012.
  1. Yea

75.0%
  2. Nay

25.0%
  1. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

What say ye?

2. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

In before the lock.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Full Moon Fever

I see no reason to lock this. I realize there are some hurt feelings in the other game/threads, but it DOES raise the point that we currently have no rules against run commit (and never have). I just thought that since there is a discussion going on apparently in PM's, that we could let our voices be heard. We have voted on other rules. This one shouldn't be any different.

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Never used it...don't plan on using it...don't care if you guys use it. You have a 1 in 3 chance of being right I suppose. I guess Fuzzy just guessed right 2 times in a row.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I hold the opinion that it's just like any other "questionable" thing in NCAA, use it just don't abuse it

• Like Like x 1
  6. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Can we just advance already!!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Well that was easy.

8. fuzzyl0gic

But wait, isn't it an obvious fact that is banned site wide?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Full Moon Fever

1. Who the F is Corey Haggard?
    2. Where the hell is Steamer43?

• Like Like x 2
  10. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Seriously? Why are all these random people showing up over here today?

11. fuzzyl0gic

CB exposure.

12. Full Moon Fever

People use that?

13. Full Moon Fever

Lol. For someone who was dead tired and about to go to sleep and would probably sleep through a text, he's awfully busy in the CB.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

I really enjoyed his post to Steamer. "Call me. I won't answer."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Full Moon Fever

16. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I refuse to push play on that video based on its title alone.

17. fuzzyl0gic

I did. If he would have ran to the right or left the first time, TD. If he would have went to the right or middle second time, TD. I'm sure if he scored we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but I'm glad we have an official discussion about it now.

18. Full Moon Fever

Yeah I was actually looking for a call me maybe .gif and that came up. I hate that song (more accurately I hate that every swingin' dick in the world decided it would be cool to make a video to it) but since it was Harvard I thought "Why the hell not?"

19. fuzzyl0gic

My chances of guessing right both times were 1/9, or 11.1%. I got lucky.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  20. fuzzyl0gic

Looks like she's official boys.

21. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Not that the new guys would have known... Buy I'm almost positive this happened last year/2 years ago and we ruled that run commit was only allowrd inside the 10. Let me know if I'm off on this.

22. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

While we're on the topic, Option Commit should be completely disallowed, banned and thrown out the window for good measure. :)

23. fuzzyl0gic

I was under the impression it was acceptable in short yardage goal line situations, I definitely don't think it should be used anywhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  24. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

Steamer43

Ultimately it is your call since you are commissioner. As a fellow commissioner, I would just like to point out that if you would ask any other league commissioner or go to the commissioner's lounge for the popular opinion most would side with banning run committing. I'd highly caution siding with the votes on this topic.

There is a big difference between run and pass commit. It is still very very possible to execute a play even if the defense calls the perfect play and pass commits on a pass play as long as you execute it perfectly. This is a not a case of run commit, and turns run defense into a slightly more advanced game of tic tac toe. I personally believe pass commit plays in the game as if you were a coach telling your team "hey, WATCH FOR A PASS!" while run commit plays like an extremely unrealistic avenue to warp your entire defense to a certain side of the ball. I would be okay with it if it was much more realistic and balanced.

I think the run game right now is the perfect chess match without run commit. It's not too hard and not too easy. Pass commit is needed with broken zone coverage and the giant cushion DBs give. Add in that curls are $$$$ every time unless you press, show blitz, or get very very lucky and it's a nice equalizer for defenses. I'm not sure the same can be said about run commit.

Just something to think about. Obviously the majority disagrees, but I think this is a case where the minority should be considered. I think your vote is because you possess at least some similar line of thinking. I guess we will see. You've done a great job as commissioner and I will adapt if you decide with the majority, but it would not be my preference.

25. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

We do post a lot of random ass shit and obviously if they are perusing random TF they are bored as fuck.

I'm memory serves this correct once upon a time we had this banned b/c no matter the direction you committed it was a 90% chance you stopped them for a loss. I know at some point they went away from this and I think we decided to allow it. DirtycashDylan can expand on that.