Run Defense help

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by harriscw, Mar 14, 2010.

1. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Run Defense help

I'm a member of the OFFL West; a great league. I use Texas Tech, and they are among the least talented user teams. I get creamed in the running game against the CPU, frequently giving up 200+ yards, and over 300 on occasion. User games are not a problem. Biggest problem I have is CPU HB's breaking tackles. Any special position I should use, or a certain formation or playbook more effective? Is team talent that big of an issue? I think my defense is a "B" overall. How about the "Big Hit"? Just flick the right directional button up, right? I bet I've got that to work two times in the 6 months I've had this game.

I missed a bowl game for the second consecutive season, so I've got to cut those rushing numbers just to get into contention. Thanks for any advice.

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

It probably has to do with the slider settings in the league. Since you can't change them, try the following:

Set defensive tackling gameplan to conservative for sure tackles
    Focus on recruiting players with higher tackle ratings

Good luck.

3. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

I agree with setting your tackling gameplan to conservative and I also set big hit to conservative. I don't miss very many tackles and I like to think having those to conservative helps, but I'm not really sure. Also I would say don't go for the strip (using L1 PS3) because you miss more tackles that way.

I don't know if using a certain position will necessarily help you but I like to switch to the guy making the tackle. I don't know if it helps but I feel more comfortable making the tackle myself rather than leaving it up to the CPU. Using different plays won't really help with broken tackles.

In recruiting along with getting guys that tackle well it helps if you get fast guys so that even if one misses the tackle usually you have another guy there shortly after to help out. Also you may want to recruit guys with good awareness and play recognition, because half the battle with tackling is getting to the ball carrier and better awareness and play recognition can help with that.

Hope that helps

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

For me it's really about team speed. Any of my guys can miss a tackle, but if there's 2-5 more guys showing up to pile on it doesn't really matter.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    This is the key.

6. GoGators

The team speed makes a good point. I've read before that some people will switch off the guy making the tackle so they can make sure they get the next guy there in case the first guy misses. Basic football premise of getting everyone to the ball. Only problem that creates is since we have the canned animations, sometimes you can morph right through the guy w/o making any impact at all. Nothing ticks me off more (well except the O-line blocking AI)

7. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Thanks for the great response. A couple guys in the league have told me it's all about the talent level, the speed thing I guess is part of that.

How about the "big hit"? Is there some trick to it, or am I just screwing it up? Do you have to be strafing, or letting off the burst button? I have noticed some guys get a "big hit" almost every play, and I can never get it to work.

8. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Thanks for the great response. A couple guys in the league have told me it's all about the talent level, the speed thing I guess is part of that.

How about the "big hit"? Is there some trick to it, or am I just screwing it up? Do you have to be strafing, or letting off the burst button? I have noticed some guys get a "big hit" almost every play, and I can never get it to work.

9. GoGators

You have to keep in mind that when playing user vs user in online dynasty, the sliders revert back to default settings. This makes everyone even and makes the big hits more likely. Plus, I feel the big hit is more powerful than it's offensive counterparts of trucking or juking so if you're in the vicinty and you hit stick your golden in user vs user games. There's really nothing a user can do about it.

In CPU games, the sliders come into play. When this happens, you get the CPU cheating and anticipating your moves so when you hit stick they know it's coming and juke around it and etc. It really comes down to the sliders in CPU games. Talent level does matter, but sliders play a big part as well.

As for the Big Hit, no strafing required. Just work on your timing. Playing online, it seems to be delayed slightly so you may just be hitting it too late or are not close enough to the ball carrier at the time. Get close and flick the stick. Up for power down to take out the legs.

Guns up and good luck!

10. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Thanks Gator, that's good info. I'm starting to see the sliders matter more than I realize, and I definitely know what you mean about CPU anticipation. I watched a replay from a game when a DT knocked down a pass I threw over the middle. As soon as my receiver came open on a slant behind him, he jumped up, while engaged with a O-lineman. By the time I saw the receiver and threw the ball the DT was 2 feet off the ground with his hand in the air!

Thanks, and Go Gators.

11. GoGators

No problem. Another one I really like is if you fake the snap and one of your offensive lineman jumps offsides, if you watch closely, the guy jumps offsides before the audio comes through the game. Talk about anticipation haha.

12. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

Team speed I think is the best answer. If you have multiple guys around the ball then missing tackles doesn't seem to bother you so much. I would also suggest trying to get at least 7 guys into the tackle box. However, be careful as it could bite you in the pass game.

13. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

Speed is a factor i would say try to get guys into your program that have good speed and good tackle ratings. This should help along with using a conservative tackling scheme

14. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Gone through another full season since starting this conversation, and these are the things I have been looking for in recruits; seems everyone else is to, so it must work. Been using conservative tackling as well. I was a little better, but I'm beginning to think the sliders are adjusted to make the game competitive for experienced users, with great teams. I'm a moderate user with a moderate team; for now anyway.

15. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

Ever notice when your playing the compute, that it knows what play you pick. If you pick a pass play from the play selection screen than audible to a run, the play works better. Even on some run plays. I kept picking ace big half back toss one game and than audibled to a dive play, and I kept gashing them right up the middle.

16. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Yeah, I have. I come out in a 4 receiver dive play inside the five, and CPU comes out in a goaline blitz, ignoring all of my receivers. If I audible to a pass, staying in the same formation, the D scatters like ants to cover my guys. I'm sure making competitive AI is difficult, but when the CPU cheeses you, it's hard not to cheese back sometimes. I'm usually a good sport though, and just run my dive play, and lose three yards.

Our league did just turn down CPU Run Block by 5, and they still cream me on the pancakes, but now my run-D just looks below average, not unrealistically horrible, which is probably realistic.

17. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

CPU does not run enough against me to be effective.

Depending on what I see the cpu use as formations, I either play press or show blitz. Also depending on formation I highlight either a WR or the HB.

Same goes for playing users, but playing users I also use DBs at normal(no press or show blitz). However, that's because in 90% of user games the user vs me anyway tends to throw more than 65% of the time.

Most users average 4 yards a carry vs me, my cpu teams average between -2 and +3 yards a carry vs me as well.

Speed/acc is most important attribute to stop run in my opinion, followed by awareness. Most of my teams are way too slow but their awareness makes up for lack of speed and for the most part I handle the run rather well.