Run defense, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by harriscw, Mar 7, 2010.

1. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Run defense, or lack thereof

I need a little help here, if it's not really obvious already. I am certainly not great at this game, but the only thing I consistently fail miserably at is run defense against the CPU. I generally fall behind in the second half and my QB seems to get rattled and loses all accuracy, but my run defense is what puts me in the hole. These CPU running backs will commonly run over three players in one play, and score from 60 yards out; and this seems to happen two to three times a game. I have tried all I know to try, and am having no luck. I am getting better with switching to a player and getting a hit on the ball carrier, but they often shrug me off.

I'm not asking for any trade secrets here, but I need a little something to help me get competitive, at least with CPU teams like Vanderbilt and Baylor. Are you guys having the same problems? It doesn't bother me to lose a good game, but it's not much fun when Vandy's backup sets a rushing record against you. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

I have the same issue, fortunately, I can play a ball control offense and generally keep the score close.

Hova suggested to me that I control the SS on all plays, drop him into coverage on pass plays and fly up on the run to help the front 7. It works best when I position him 5-7 yards deep on the strong side of the offensive formation.

Now, I still give up huge plays in the run game, but for every 60+ yard run, I stop the run for 3 or fewer yards 10 times using this strategy.

It is a process, and took me awhile to get comfortable with it, but now, I love it.

Now, if I could just stop CPU Florida...

3. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Do you ever crash the DLine in or out before the snap? Sometimes this helps them get off them suctions blocks and make plays in the backfield, but this could just be a ratings things, my defense is A+ so that may be why I have a pretty good run D

4. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    One thing I have done less of is stunting my D-line b/c the rest of the team does not adjust to it at all it seems. I prefer controlling a DT and a lot times try to avoid switching players.

5. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

This works for me as well. I shift them to the strong or weak side a lot right before the snap.

6. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

I usually just help the run D by bringing down my safety but sometimes they still pancake me or blow me up idk its been discussed before the cpu run game needs tweeking

7. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

We have 3 users in the top 10 run defense in the nation, 5 in the top 20

8. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Thanks for the great response.

I have been controlling a LB, and have got better at hitting the back, although I still can't get "big hits". I do shift the line sometimes, but have never tried the crash in/out, but I will. I'll definitely experiment with the SS as well. Bad thing about that is, that's my freshman stud Tony Harris, the one guy on the D that almost always makes the tackle anyway!