Run/Pass Commit

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Run/Pass Commit

We need to vote right now on to whether to allow these features or not. Last time we discussed it, we wanted to hold off on a decision until further testing.

It appears there is some confusion as to whether these features are allowed or not. Some are using them and some are refraining.

So vote now or forever hold your piece... err... peace.

2. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

we can still spotlight a WR no matter the outcome right?

3. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, we have always been able to do that....

4. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

I vote no. We have never used in the Duece & we have done fine without it.

5. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

I'm against it also

6. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I don't think they are unbalancing now. Run commit always backfires on me anyway.

7. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

I'm against it. I think it's unfair for the three of us who pass heavily. I do run the ball, but for the most part my offense is through the air.

8. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Couldn't the argument be made that you should balance your offense more then? If I know you are going to pass because you do so 90% of the time, why shouldn't I be able to gameplan accordingly? Just sayin....

I have no issue with any of them. I use Houston in T3 and pass the ball about 80% of the time. Guys there have used pass commit on me all game, but when you hit that pass commit for a 20 yard gain on a draw or screen it makes them rethink the strategy. I am petrified of using run commit since if someone passes vs it you get hit for a huge gain.

Personally, I think that with the lack of depth at CB most of us have, pass commit as at least an option is the only thing giving us a chance against the teams like Mizzou, South Carolina, etc that are looking to pass the ball most of the time. Even saying that, I usually only use the pass commit on long yardage situations or end of game/half.

9. theSANDMAN215

Good point. Now that you say that, I don't really care, haha. I haven't used it this year yet, so I don't know if it is like last year or not. I'd rather not use it, but if we vote to use it, I'd be fine. My vote is for no though.

10. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

The pass commit is nowhere near as broken as last year. I've had guys have it on vs me for the entire game with Houston and still can find guys open with Keenum if I'm smart about it.

11. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I vote no.

Honestly, I think run and pass commit were made to give the defense against guys running play action. You use pass commit when you know a guy is going to run play action and vice versa. I don't believe the intention of it is to defend the air raid.

Also, from a sim point of view, no coach has ever with more than one or two exceptions told their players to commit to the run or commit to the pass. You teach your defense to be balanced and cover their responsibilities. If you think a run is coming you CALL a play to stop the run. If you think a pass is coming, you CALL a play to stop the pass. The point here is let's make your defense reliant on your PLAYCALLING SKILLS and not just whether you push up or down on the right stick presnap.

12. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

guys, the commits are not nearly as effective this year as in the past... they actually balance out the game a bit more, especially for sub-par teams like mine.

Continuing to base your decisions off the broken model in '10 is doing a disservice to the the work done on the '11 game.

13. JrRawlins

I feel like its a crutch, i just feel like people should play straight up... no need for the commit features... but thats just my view... everyone is entitled to their own opinions/views

14. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I don't have a problem with the pass commit, because I haven't seen that provide an unfair advantage.

The run commit feature is simply ridiculous at times. Sure it can work against the Defense, but multiple DL crashing through the OL is just unsim.

Ive actually never used the pass commit feature, maybe I should.

15. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

it's not a crutch IMO...In real football, when both teams break the huddle and the LB examines the offenses formation strength and WR alignment they often make a quick run/pass call out to their teammates to focus on what they think the offense is about to do.

You can't always tell by the personnel in the huddle what's coming at you.. sometimes you don't see the intent of the offense until they are lined up. Having the ability to focus your team on a specific play type once you see the offense lined up is totally sim to me. Especially since the feature is WAY more balanced this year and if you make a wrong call, you will get smoked.

Honestly, since i play in other dynasty's that don't restrict commits, it will be very hard for me to not do it here.

16. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i guess i get worked up over this specific argument because i spent a ton of time talking with Russ about how this feature worked in '10 and how it should work in '11. I think they made awesome improvement in it's risk/reward and in toning down the strength of it. That's why i get frustrated when i don't feel it's given a fair evaluation within the context of THIS YEAR'S game. I worked specifically to address this communities concerns with that feature and feel like EA listened and has made changes we were looking for.

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I've messed around with the commits in my offline dynasty and in my opinion, they aren't as strong as they are in year's past.

Dru made a good point about being balanced. Despite what Gators thinks, defenses, and more notably the back seven, are in a different mentality against he air raid. Running keeps them honest. To be fair, Missouri's recent offensive playcalling breakdowns suggest that he probably never has to run the ball at all, which is absolutely not sim. Nothing against Gators, because he has the stick skills and the personnel to make that happen. But it's just lopsided when other teams have zero success through the air.

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    If I had to pin-point some aspect of the commit feature that is a bit lop-sided is the use of run commite on downs with less than 2 yards to go. I feel like that if you are trying to run through the tackles you have a very, very slim chance of converting. This is true even against a inferior DL.

19. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

there are definitely have and have not's in this league from a caliber of team standpoint.

20. theSANDMAN215

That's the main reason I don't like it, 3rd and 1, or a goalline situation, last year it made it near impossible to convert it. I don't know if this year's is the same or not.

21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    It's pretty tough to convert it. But I think you need to look at the entire picture. What rate of conversion do you normally expect from those situations? With teams like ours, it probably should be pretty low when playing better defenses.

My point that is that if it is harder to earn a first down, maybe the games would be more realistic. Unfortunately, the CPU defense is entirely too aggressive and risky. It gives even teams like mine a chance to beat the likes of Utah, Florida State and Virginia Tech.

22. JrRawlins

again, if your audibles are set you can easily change your play once the huddle breaks and the offense sets... even if they run no huddle you can still audible if you get a feeling of somethin different coming at you or individually set a defender to cover a certain area or player..... just my opinion..

about the other dynasties you play in, we are not them... (y)

23. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

yup, and it's looks like maybe not a good fit for me.

24. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

why allow audibles and not commits... seems like you are cherry picking what adjustments can be made.

25. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

My vote is to allow the commits for now and see what everyone thinks.

I haven't used them so I really don't have an opinion. Lets see what they do, and if they are causing problems we disallow them.