Run/Pass Commits & Aggressive Game Plans

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JHeb, Aug 12, 2009.

1. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Run/Pass Commits & Aggressive Game Plans

Effective Immediately:

Per Razcalking1978...

"Heya folks. I've done a fair bit of reading on Defensive Keys and GamePlans, and I don't think they're something that I want in this dynasty. They're not balanced, they are in no way sim, and anything important they do can be replicated by proper play calling.

As of this week, the following rules are in place:

1. No Defensive Keys at any time. This is when you hold down the Left Trigger and choose Pass, Run Middle, Run Left or Run Right. Don't do it.

2. No Aggressive GamePlans. I'm okay if you want to set something to Conservative to protect the ball late in the game, things like that. But the Aggressive settings cause nothing but animosity, especially in user games. Aggressive GamePlans are not allowed as of this week.

Persons using these in user games will either lose scholarships or be removed from the league depending on the severity of the situation."

As for the Mid-Majors, I'm okay with setting your teams to all conservative if you want but do not use the aggressive setting. I know all of the arguements for it but IMO any kind of allowance I could write into the rules for us using it could and likely would be taken advantage of. As Raz said above, the results you want from the settings can basically be achieved by calling normal plays and making adjustments, etc.

Keep it SIM fellas...

JHeb

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I'll just go on record that I'm totally against the banning of aggressive gameplans. They add a much needed strategy to the game all of the major one can be countered by your opponent (hence the strategy element). I know that the stripping setting is what gets everyone's panties in a wad and that's the one that's the most easily countered. Just to make sure it's clear, are you banning all aggressive settings? Specifically:
    • Option defense to key on the HB instead of the QB
    • zone coverages to play a shorter zone
    • Holding blocks
    • Impact blocking
    • Other, non potentially game changing settings that I can't recall off the top of my head
    I don't see how any of those above are game changing in the least nor are they at all "non-sim." Why shouldn't I be able to make a dangerous QB pitch the ball on an option? Why can't I play a shorter zone to try to defend against the overpowered slant? Etc.
    I'll just tell you now to prepare for all of those crucial fumbles where the defender insists that he wasn't using aggressive while the offensive guy is positive that he cheated and used aggressive.

3. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I don't care about the game planning. The defensive keys on the other hand I hate. Using the run commit in goal line situations I'd be ok with, but using the keys for a majority of the game is starting to anger me.

I lost a game I should have won in TF:Trifecta because my opponent used the run commit keys almost the whole game, even on passing downs (which led to some ridiculous blitz pressure), which made it impossible to run. I was leading the whole game but he managed to go up by 1 with :30 left because I had no way to run out the clock even though I was trying to the whole 4th quarter and part of the 3rd.

4. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Sorry, I should have been more clear...What I meant to relay to the dynasty is to NOT run/pass commit...I also do not want to see the aggressive stripping setting in play. I know we can just set our team to conservative, which I always do anyway, but to see your opponent aggressively attempting to strip on every tackle is not what we want to see. I think most or all of us would agree with that.

I'm def. open to creating one or two very specific situations where run commit could be used (goalline) but it'd have to be rock solid stuff and NOT open to any kind of interpretation.

Let me hear your thoughts on all of this...

5. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Agreed the run commit has gotten out of hand and even morphed into a blitzing strategy on passing downs. There is nothing better than my QB being sacked on a run play before I can get to the handoff.

I wish I could tell my O-line to commit to Pass Protect and they stonewall any defenders trying to come through the line. Oh wait, that is what they are suppose to be trying to do...

Maybe we could allow the run commit on any down that is 2 yds to go or less. And also allow run commit inside the 5-10 yardline whether the team is about to score or trying to get out of their territory? But I'm fine with just throwing it out all together because we could end up with a long list of times to use it or not use it. What about teams running out the clock, etc.

6. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

This may explain why I suck against players. I NEVER even used the Run/Pass Commit. Of course, If im down by 3 late in the 4th with 50 seconds left, I would hit the aggressive button on everything. If were not using it anymore, Its fine by me. More Sim for us all

7. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Just a reminder to all of us and to the new guys...

8. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I've received a report of the aggressive stuff being used in a recent user v. user game but have no video proof of it. That person has been notified.

DO NOT USE AGGRESSIVE PLAYCALLING FOR STRIPPING THE BALL, RUN COMMIT, PASS COMMIT, etc.

We're getting along pretty well as a league, we don't need this crap causing animosity amongst us.

If someone is pulling crap against you, finish the game, save the video...Save the Video!!!!

9. jello1717

If you're talking about run commits, that's easy to document in video. If you're talking about stripping the ball, good luck with that one, like I wrote earlier in this thread:
    There's no way to document someone using aggressive stripping in video. Aggressive stripping only makes defenders try to strip the ball more often than normal. Every single one of us can come up with a video or 3 of defenders trying to strip the ball (with the full blown stripping animation) against anyone with that setting on normal. The very best you could possibly do would be to provide 5 videos of someone's defenders stripping the ball, and stats that show he forced 3 fumbles (even with that many it's your fault for being really, really stupid and not switching running to conservative) and had 60 penalty yards against him. Even from that, there's no way to defeat the argument that he just had a good (in terms of fumbles) and bad (in terms of penalties) day.

10. NatiSaint

NatiSaint Walk On

I can honestly say that I have never changed the gameplan settings after my first ranked game on ncaa. Tried it out to see what it was like and got like 10 facemask penalties. Ever since then I havent used any of them, just don't wanna risk it - especially in a tight game.

Although it does make perfect sense as to why sometiems I can run the ball and sometimes they are in my face on the hand off - didn't realize that when the opponent uses that it makes their team almost godlike.

Doesn't change my gameplan if it's banned or allowed - although if it's cheese get it out... but personally it has no effect on me.

11. jello1717

There's a big difference between aggressive gameplans and defensive keys. The defensive keys are what you describe when you say
    Defensive keys are extremely cheesy and are banned and are easy to document. It's debatable as to whether or not gameplanning is cheesy but it's still banned (at least some of the aggressive ones) but that isn't really enforceable in my opinion.

12. NatiSaint

NatiSaint Walk On

Makes Sense - I just think it better not to use them anyway and save the trouble. Sure they all have a positive but they each have negative too - might as well just be balanced. It's done me well this far and I can't complain with the results ive had from keeping everything balanced.

13. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Really I'm not so worried about an advantage it'd give b/c there are counters and if someone is pulling crap like that, you need to adjust your game. What I'm mostly concerned about with this stuff is bickering in the dynasty that may or might cause people to leave. And yes, I know, if someone will leave over that then they should probably be gone anyway. I know. But, I'd rather keep some continuity with everyone getting along and playing the game the right way.

Ya know?

P.S.

Nati, love the new sig...Sweet.

14. NatiSaint

NatiSaint Walk On

I made it myself thank you :)

I live in Cincinnati and love the Cincinnati Skyline (not the chili although it is delicious) and had to put my bengals on there even if I havent gotten them in a TF league yet.