Running up the score

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Brandon S., Jan 10, 2012.

1. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

What is everyone's thoughts on running up the score? I hate to look at it as "Running up the score" but i was listening to Drew Brees after beating the Lions and he was asked about running up the score and he said he will never apologize for staying aggressive.

There have been several games this year that I have almost blown a lead because I don't want to run up the score, and i have had multiple injuries to my backups and special teams players because of not wanting to be a douche and run up the score. I know this has happened to others as well.

So when winning big, what do you do? Not trying to piss anyone off by blowing them out, but if someone is having a bad game and you are playing lights out, thats how it goes sometimes. I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I've blown people out and i'm pretty sure i had the worst blowout in the league (Giants beat me 40-0 after i beat him 27-14) I never got mad at Ford for running up the score because i kept putting him in position to score.

What are your thoughts on running up the score? Stop and keep it reasonable, or dont risk blowing the lead?

• Like Like x 1
  2. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Example

- 4th Q, 8 min left up by 24. Ideally your going to want to run out some clock by running the ball, but it's perfectly fine to throw as well and to score again.

- 4th Q, under 2 min left up by 24. Not ok to throw. Run or just take a knee.

If it's under two min and your up big always take a knee. If your thowing under 2 min when up big then thats running up the score. If you take a pic and return it for six during the final seconds when your up big, thats running up the score. Just fall down in that situation.

An example I could use from my last game with the Lions -- I was up by 10 with about 2 min left. I needed one more first down to run out the clock and it was 3rd and 7 or something. I decided to throw to get the first and to seal the game. He brought the house thinking run, and it left Bowe open with no one near him. Instead of taking it for six I actually stopped and ran backwards to get tackled, then took a knee. Scoring there would have been unnecessary as the game was over with the Lions now being out of timeouts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Masler

Masler Moderator

I disagree. If you were down by 24 would you want someone to keep passing and scoring. It is OK to pass and get the first down but the only scoring that should be done if you are up by FOUR scores should be FG's. Now say they score a TD with more than half the quarter left, a passing score would be frustrating but you are protecting your lead. But still no one should purposely try to score, be a good sport. If you start giving up points, you went too soft on defense and that's your own fault.

IMO, running up the score is when it is obvious your opponent has NO chance of coming back. Ex 1:15 on the clock, 2 timeouts. Kneel the ball, make them waste 2 TO and kneel a third time, game over.

4. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

1:15 is a good example. 8 min left in the 4th is not. Anything can happen with that much time on the clock. NFL teams have scored 21 points in a matter of a few minutes.

What would the Saints do with 8 min left in the red zone on 3rd down. Run the ball and take the FG? Hell no they would go for it and possibly score again. And there is nothing wrong with that. There is a difference between being aggressive to win the game, and running up the score.

5. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Don't remind me, I'm a Giants fan....

6. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I for sure wouldnt be passing the ball around up 24 in the 4th...

7. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

The Panthers cameback on me earlier this season from 20 down in 4th. Now my rule is full steam ahead until I get up 4 scores or time is low.

• Like Like x 2
  8. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Did you watch that Eagles clip? They scored 28 points in 4 in a half minutes.

Were talking about being up 24 with 8 min left. You guys can play any way you want to play. In fact be my guest if it's against me. Let off the gas and assume that's its "over." But if it's me, I'm going to try to keep the chains moving no matter what. If that means I need to throw on 3rd down or even 2nd down then I will throw it. That way I can continue to run the clock down. And if I score again then so be it. I'm not going to let up with that much time left.

9. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Getting first down runs and chewing up the clock and respecting my opponent is more important than suffering the rare come from behind loss. And if they do happen to score and take it down to 17 or 14 point lead, I would the resume my normal offensive gameplay to reassert my lead.

10. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Whatever floats your boat.

11. XLenceofXQtion

XLenceofXQtion Walk On

Sean Payton is overly aggressive... dont like the guy. When he kicked the onside kick in the superbowl... I jumped out of my seat "thats fucked up! what a cheeser" lol... he must play ranked games

12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Never punts either, goes for every 4th down

• Like Like x 1
  13. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

He's very overly aggressive for sure. But I don't have a problem with it. He's won a Super Bowl by doing that, and he will probably win at least one more. Bill Belichick is also very aggressive, and has multiple Super Bowl wins. I don't agree with aggressive play being dirty or cheesy. And like I said before, there is a difference between being aggressive to win -- and running up the score and having bad sportsmanship.

14. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

As with the other threads, my question really is where do we draw the line (as in, what do we put in the rule book) and what is the punishment for crossing that line?

15. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

The rule should be.... don't be a douchebag and respect your opponent. There are thousands of different scenarios that could happen. Use good judgement. Everyone has a different opinion on when the game is "locked up." So each game is case by case basis. Being aggressive to win is not the same as running up the score. Throwing under 2 min when you can take a knee to win, or returning a pick for a TD when your winning big with a few min left are examples of running up the score. These cases should be reported. End of discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Are we looking to add an official rule in the rulebook for this?

Something like "report any cases of running up the score, whether its against the CPU or a User, to Keller"

???

• Like Like x 1