Rutgers controls their own destiny in wild shootout

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Feb 10, 2009
    Featured Threads:
    Rutgers took another step in hopes of a title shot with a wild 49-42 shootout in Piscataway, NJ.

At first glance, the Scarlet Knights wanted to pass over this Cincy defense. That was until a rainstorm ruined those plans. Rutgers tried to pass over the Cincy defense but they were surprisingly effective early, picking off a Sims pass and playing tight defense.

That's when Rutgers broke out Jamaal Berry.

Berry became the focus of the offense and it gelled. Cincy could not stop the Rutgers offense as Berry consistently took 5-6 yards and then breaking tackles left and right. He had 104 yards on the ground with 2TD's but he was largely effective in the screen game getting his speed out in the open.

Berry led Rutgers to a 35-21 score going into the 4th with the ball when disaster struck. Berry got cracked on a run and left the game with a strained back that will take him out for 3 weeks and all but ended his heisman hopes. More importantly, it left Rutgers down to their 3rd string RB, Marcus Thompson (Jordan Thomas the #2 back has been hurt for most of the year). With the ball down in the endzone, FR-QB Daniel Sims threw a terrible pick and it would give Cincy tons of momentum. They would go down and score to put the score at 35-28. Rutgers figured they needed to just do what they have been doing and that's run the ball down Cincy's throat. This is where a legend was made.

Marcus Thompson had a 4th quarter for the ages. He came in and received a screen pass for 44 yards. Then he took the ball up the gut for 30 yards for a TD. Cincinnati came back and immediately scored (geez you would think my CB's would TRY to defend with their ratings...SMH) on a 23 yard pass from backup QB Rawlins to Wilson to put the score at 42-35. Thompson would answer the call, as on the next offensive play he ran 81 yards off tackle with 4 Cincinnati players chasing Thompson from behind. 49-35. Cincy with 2:24 left once again answered the bell scoring in less than 40 seconds...49-42. With 1:50, Rutgers needed to run this time out...both defense was reeling at this point. Thompson once again shined.

1st and 10- 5 yard run
    2nd and 5- 8 yard run
    1st and 10- 52 yard run

On that run, Thompson smartly dove before hitting paydirt ensuring there will be no more scoring by Cincinnati. Thompson had 176 yards rushing ALONE in the 4th quarter and with the 44 yard pass he had, had 220 yards combined and 2TD's. Rutgers now has two games left with Louisville and Michigan but will be without their top 2 backs for both tilts. They will need to win out and then have 2 out of Illinois/Cal/Utah to reach the title game.

Illinois has a tough battle against Purdue coming up and a tilt with LSU looming.
    Cal has two ranked teams left including USC and a huge test against Stanford left.
    Utah has TCU as their lone likely toughest test.

The fight for the title is nearing a conclusion.
  2. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Feb 21, 2009
    Good Game Mo. Cinci's defense is so frustrating to play with. I have like 2 players rated over 80 overall and it showed when you ran the ball. Your Oline opened huge holes no matter what defense I called. I debated kicking on onside kick after my final score but decided to trust my defense for some stupid reason...I'm not having much luck landing good defensive recruits either so it may be a while before this team is a legit contender.

My QB Legaux is out for 3 weeks as well...which sucks because I can't run much option with either of my backup QBs.