Rutgers gets big win over UCLA

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Little did we know the impact SR-RB Jammal Berry would have on a game. Today we found out.

Berry was the subject to a stout and all out run blitzing UCLA squad as they contained the talented back early and often. Frustrated, Coach Moreecemos decided to go back to what he knows best, that's passing the ball.

It wasn't a sure thing knowing how FR-QB Daniel Sims would react to passing against a talent UCLA squad and their speedy corners but this was to loosen up the UCLA defense. Sims proved to be stellar.

Sims being a freshman certainly doesn't play like one. Standing tall in the pocket, he delivered passes with pinpoint accuracy. His 1st TD pass, he floated a perfect ball over UCLA defender to J.T. Tartacoff for a score. Another, Sims threw into double coverage but Tartacoff snagged the pass out of the air. He would show his 6'6" WR some love, throwing 30 yards over the middle in perfect stride to Brandon Coleman for a huge gain. Then for his 2nd TD pass, he nailed Tartacoff in stride right before two UCLA defenders converged for a score. Sims ended up 18/25 passing for 336 yards and 2TD's.

By that time, it seemed the UCLA defense wasn't hell bent on stopping Berry. But on the play of the game, Berry found room on an off tackle to finally use his speed in the open field to score from 61 yards out. Berry was contained most of the game but ended up with 119 yards and 3 scores, not to mention catching 3 passes for 65 yards.

The defense struggled stopping freshman Jeff Banks and his two main targets, Speedy slot WR Paul Richardson and TE Ian Logan. Rutgers defenders really struggled defending the slant, whether it was to the inside or outside. It was until late in the 3rd and the 4th we guarded underneath and picked a few passes off. It was a struggle, until that point to stop the UCLA offense. FR-FS Lenny McDuffie had a great day with 10 tackles and an INT.

GG Bruce.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

HUGE win for Rutgers, I was pretty sure this was going to turn out to be a Bruin victory but you guys pulled off the upset.

UCLA lost some key pieces, not to take anything away from this victory though. I told Rusty within two years none of us will even be close in terms of talent so enjoy this competition while it's still around.

3. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Just one of those games, we dropped at least 6 passes when we were open, then the grabs in traffic and double coverage on ballon balls by Rutgers really hurt as well. There were a few passes I thought we had played well only to watch the DB stare at the ball let the catch happen and then make a tackle.

We were waiting for PI to get called and it never did as our WRs were bumped, knocked and pushed around all day. The Rutgers D was fairly tough at times often running our routes better then we did....I knew it would be an issue with our lack of speed outside.

We had a couple chances for picks and dropped those as well. I knew we were in trouble early, you can just tell sometimes how a game is going and this was one of those games...

We sucked bad on D we couldnt stop the passes to the middle of the field drags or slants...and when we tried that MO went outside and completed some high balls down the field into coverage, those are killers when all you need is a knock down to make the other team punt...

We didnt have any plan or idea for what Rutgers does or wants to do..it showed....then we got away from what we do best on O which is run the ball.. Frustration played a huge role in that. Mo called a nice game on both sides of the ball and executed it very well.

Couple nice user picks and catches really swung this game the Scarlet Knights way. Mo and his team beat us to the punch time and again.

We were awful, prolly the worst user game I have played in two years....god what a POS UCLA was in this game..I hate not being able to stop plays even when I know whats coming and call the right D, we had good position at times but we couldnt knock the ball away or out.. Awareness plays a huge role this year, Vet teams will play well, young teams will have games like this atrocity....I am sure we have all been there.. We need to go back to the drawing board...playing a ton of young players that make mistakes, hurts now, hope it pays off later.

GG Mo you smashed our face in.