Rutgers survives @ Pitt

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Rutgers survives @ Pitt

This would be a tale of the two impact RB's, Dion Lewis and DeAntwan Williams. Both made their presences known throughout the game.

Williams has been the catalyst for the Rutgers offense this season and he started off the game right, leading Rutgers down the field on their 1st drive for a score ran in by FB Robert Turner. Then on the next drive, Williams broke a long one for 73 yards to give the Scarlet Knights a 14-0 lead.

Things began to turn when Rutgers lost Williams for two quarters, as well as his backup Jordan Thomas for the game. That put Rutgers with their 3rd string RB a bruising back. The Rutgers offense wasn't as smooth with Marcus Thompson at RB and Pitt began chipping away with Lewis being the main cog. Rutgers would tighten up the defense once Pitt got close for a score with a big time INT by CB Givens. Rutgers would go up 21-0 with a Thompson TD run.

The momentum began to change when Pitt threw a bomb to WR Mike Shanahan for 52 yards to close the half and it demoralized the Scarlet Knights a bit. It became 21-14 when Lewis ran one in from a yard out. Up 7, Rutgers went to what they knew best....passing of course! Shimko nailed Coleman on a wide open pass and he did the rest taking it 55 yards to paydirt. After that Pitt came back and started to hold the Rutgers offense. Lewis was slashing back and forth and in the 4th FB Marques Moore cut the lead to 7. Williams finally came back into the game by that point and Rutgers sealed a big time win in Pitt, 28-21.

Williams- 15 car, 168yds, TD
    Shimko- 9/15, 202yds, TD
    Coleman- 6rec, 157yds, TD
    Greene/Givens- INT each

Myers- 7/19, 159yds, TD, 2INT's
    Lewis- 25car, 126yds, TD, 3rec, 63yds

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

when did this shit go down?!?!?

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

man, those dropped passes really hurt in the first half... kept me from keeping the drives alive and put the ball back into Rutgers hands... 21-0 before my guys woke up.

We lost Sunseri in the Miss. St game for 10 weeks so we had to roll out Soph(RS) Mark Myers for the big game... he was not ready, but neither where our wideouts.

Dion Lewis and our young o-line showed up though, and the defense played admirably after getting shelled in the 1st qtr...

gg Mo, didn't have enough on D this year... still working on it.. i'll be back.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Yeah ryno had some guys drop passes on 3rd downs which would have kept drives going. That's not a fault on the QB there. Sunseri would have helped today I believe.

We survived and hopefully this will sway those LB recruits my way ;)

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Jms, ryno caught me at a perfect time. I had work at 12, he msg me at 1030 this morning to knock it out

6. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

kind of a related aside, but one of the things i really like about this game are how injuries do impact your team - but not in a gay cheesy way.

seems you can count on one or two minor injuries and one big injury every season, and need to whether the storm.

more importantly it keeps you honest depth wise.

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

out of curiosity ... did you take I-95 to get to the game :thumbsup:

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Sounds like you hung around and battled and that can be very tough to do in this game when you get down 21-0. Nice comeback Jeff, and nice win Mo.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Haha yeah. I-95 northwest extension to be exact!

And yeah Bly, I try my hardest to rotate my backs. Today though they just got hurt by dumb luck. Right now I don't necessarily have the depth at the position and Williams is a scat back which I can't really give him 25-30 carries a game.

10. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Yeah man, I was talking to Helli about this the other day. Part of it is because we haven't been able to build huge talent nests right off the bat like years past because most of us started with lowly ranked teams. And I will give EA credit, the way recruiting works this year, it is a true struggle to steal everyone you want. It's been alot of fun so far.

11. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i got x2 m'fer!!! (y)

12. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

yea, i just wanted my blanky and good teletubbies episode after the 1st qtr... completely demoralized by Mo's good play and the mistakes my guys were making.

The defense made a few plays and then Dion kinda carried the load. Myers made a few good throws, but his arm strength is a drop off from Sunseri so my timing was a bit off and it was all a bit akward.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Wow u got x2? FML :(:(