Rutgers wins on last second FG

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Daniel Sims knows that the burden of this team is on his shoulders. Going against a tough Washington defense, he knew that this year will be his toughest yet. With his improved accuracy, he now has to get his new WR's up to speed, all of which are raw and very unproven.

On this day, Sims threw 3 picks. The Huskies defense was particularly tough around the endzone where they picked off Sims twice in the area.

But as everyone is quickly learning, this kid has the moxy to be a star. Sims made quite a few beautiful passes on the game, including plenty placed perfectly over the CB's heads.

He made his biggest throws on the last series of the game. With the game tied at 24 and a minute + to go, he led Rutgers down the field, with his biggest throw being a simple short comeback, in which Jon Burch caught it, raced up field and broke two big tackles which put Rutgers in field goal range. Washington tried to ice the kicker Marvin Austin but he booted the 40 yarder inside the left goal post.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I feel it was inexcusable for us to lose this game. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't feel we got your best game today. In a lot of ways we played about as well as we're going to play all season and still could not get the win which is scary/depressing. Some bad play calling (I think I stuck with the run too long despite you guys daring me to pass) and dropping 3-4 easy INT's in addition to the ones we did catch took us out of an opportunity to win the game. The one where we hit your guy, and the ball lollipopped to the sideline where I manually went up to go get it and just dropped it was particularly painful.

I was proud of the way that after we went for it on 4th down and failed, then went down by 10 to you with about 5:30 to go in the game, that we clawed back into it and tied the game. We just left a little too much time on the clock. Well frankly I just got too conservative, I should have been more aggressive with my play calling and tried harder to score a TD/ 4 point lead instead of going for a FG. There was no way I was holding you without a FG, let's face it.

I was disappointed in our inability to run the ball. Were you stacking the box? Most of the game, but even when you weren't, we couldn't get everybody blocked. Our line really stunk up the joint run blocking against a D that is good not great. I was just glad that they started to pass block in the final two-three quarters.

I felt that despite not playing your best today you did a great job of saving that TO for the game-winning FG, and centering the ball so you didn't have to aim while kicking the game winner. That's the kind of stuff I have forgotten about before in the same pressure situation.

GG man, always a pleasure.

edit: I should mention that Greg Baker, our true soph. QB, had a decent bounce-back game after an awful opening performance last week. Threw his first TD of the season, then got the freebie when you didn't cover our HB out the backfield (WTF happened there?) and then a third that was quite a beautiful throw.h If I can get him some weapons he could be a great one.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    lol nah I didn't stack the box, I did though focus on your RB because I saw his 96 speed...I had to pray he didn't get outside or break one because I sold out my LB's quite a bit.

That one play, lol, I had someone covering him but he just didn't cover the RB. I saw you pass to him and I'm like really? not even an attempt to cover teh RB.

Baker has an arm, accuracy isn't there but I love the THP. 87 isn't bad at all for TAC now that I think about it.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

What I should have said was you were focusing on the run game. Stacking the box may not have been accurate I suppose but you were daring me to pass. lol.

5. jfosh

jfosh Super

I wanted Baker. Another great game Rutgers just keeps winning.

Pac-10 Will be a "Bear" to get through. Look forward to our game Helli

Good win mo.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I have this player on my team named Brian Wright. a JUCO soph. transfer. He is that rare HB with the ability to catch the ball, run routes, etc. He was damn good for me in this game. He will see action running the ball and may one day be the starter, however at the present time he is used in a dual role as the backup HB and WR. He made some real big plays for me in this one.

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I was close in the prediction...I thought Helli might pull this one off. I was spot on in picking the under (61)

8. jfosh

jfosh Super

ill be looking for wright when he enters the game

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    There was some good solid defense out there I felt.

Wright must have been the guy who caught the TD pass on me then

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I agree, really good D on both sides. I just wish I hadn't run the ball on the short downs. That really killed me. I'll probably do it again the next time, though. Gotta believe in the run!

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    hey that's what you taught me ;)

12. Zetroc

Zetroc Uncle Rico Inspired

sounded like a good'n