Ryno's Car Thread

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by RynoAid, Feb 20, 2010.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Ryno's Car Thread

[​IMG]

In December the wife let me trade her car in and get the car i wanted. I had been waiting, driving a '05 Tahoe (im not a SUV guy) for 4 years since she convinced me to trade my first Saab in (an '03 9-3 Linear).

So i was in my own car hell for a long time, finally im out... I purchased an '06 Saab 9-3 Aero with 25,312 on the Odometer. I got it for a steal and actually lowered our car payment from what the wife was driving. ('07 Maxima)

MOTOR TREND - FIRST LOOK (published in late 2005)

The last time Saab begged parent GM for an engine with enough cylinders to compete in the U.S., it was thrown an odd 3.0-liter, 54-degree iron-block V-6and a tiny budget with which to Saabify it. A turbo on the front bank pressurized the whole engine to just 3.9 psi (the internal structure couldn't tolerate any more), so output was constrained to a ho-hum 200 horsepower, and sales ended in 2003. This new 60-degree turbo V-6 is custom-tailored for Saab.

The engine shares its chain-driven DOHC architecture and variable intake-valve timing with the "high-feature" V-6 currently powering Cadillacs and other upscale GM vehicles. The turbo is Saab's alone, but some features required to meet the demands of turbocharging, like oil-cooled pistons, have been applied across the other brands. Stronger forged connecting rods and high-strength aluminum cylinder heads fortify the combustion chamber sufficiently to run almost nine pounds of boost with a compression ratio of 9.5:1.

Click to view Gallery
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Base... read full caption Click to view Gallery2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
    Base price $35,100 (est)
    Vehicle layout Front engine, FWD, 4-door, 5-pass sedan
    Engine 2.8L/247 hp/258 lb-ft turbo-charged DOHC 24-valve V-6
    Transmission 6-speed man; 6-speed auto
    Curb weight 3450 lbs (mfr)
    Wheelbase 105.3 in
    Length x Width x Height 182.5 x 69.0 x 56.8 in
    0-60 mph 6.0-7.0 sec (MT est)
    EPA city/hwy fuel econ Not yet rated
    On sale in U.S. September 2005
    The water-cooled Mitsubishi TDO4-15TK turbocharger is a twin-scroll design, meaning two separate chambers channel exhaust from each cylinder bank directly onto the turbine wheel. By doing this, the individual exhaust pulses in each header help push the turbine, boosting performance and reducing lag. Collecting the exhaust before it reaches the turbo allows these pulses to cancel out. Saab investigated an even wilder approach to reducing boost lag: turning the cylinder heads around so the exhaust came out in the valley and fed sequential twin-turbos, but intense heat was melting paint on the hood.

Saab claims the 9-3 Aero V-6 is its quickest car ever, so we expect the six-speed manual version to just edge ahead of the Viggen and 9-2x Aero, hitting 60 mph in six seconds flat and the quarter in the mid-14s with the Aisin six-speed automatic version running about a second off that pace. This six never feels as peaky and high-strung as Saab's turbo fours often do, and torque steer, with the wheel pointed straight ahead, is unnoticeable on smooth roads. Ample thrust is available at all speeds, so passing maneuvers can be accomplished without shifting. This is a good thing, because the six-speed manual box feels notchy, particularly when shifting from first to second or fifth to sixth. The automatic seems well matched to the engine and offers a fully manual mode with steering-wheel shifting.

Tweaks were made to the suspension bushings and springs, primarily to account for the V-6's 180 pounds of extra weight. Tighter steering and larger anti-roll bars improve the new Aero's road manners and general responsiveness while retaining a supple ride quality. It won't pass for a BMW (we've never driven a front-drive car that could), but we expect the new 9-3 Aero to stand tall against other high-performing front-drivers. Sedan sales begin this September priced just above $35,000, with wagon and convertible versions following in December.

Car Specs

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
    - Turbo compressor
    - 2,792 cc 2.8 liters V 6 front engine with 89 mm bore, 74.8 mm stroke, 9.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder LP9
    - Premium unleaded fuel 91
    - Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 28 and EPA city (mpg): 18
    - Multi-point injection fuel system
    - 16.4 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank
    - Power: 186 kW , 250 HP SAE @ 5,500 rpm; 258 ft lb , 350 Nm @ 2,000 rpm
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan Handling, Ride & Braking Standard Features
    - Four-wheel ABS
    - Brake assist system
    - Cornering brake control
    - Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs
    - Electronic brake distribution
    - Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management
    - Immobilizer
    - Spacesaver steel rim internal spare wheel
    - Stability control
    - Strut front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs , multi-link rear suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan Exterior & Aerodynamics Standard Features
    - Body side molding
    - Part-painted front and rear bumpers
    - Day time running lights
    - Driver and passenger power heated body color door mirrors with switch
    - External dimensions: overall length (inches): 182.5, overall width (inches): 69, overall height (inches): 56.8, wheelbase (inches): 105.3, front track (inches): 59.9, rear track (inches): 59.3 and curb to curb turning circle (feet): 35.4
    - Front fog lights
    - Projector beam lens Xenon bulb headlights
    - Heat reflective glass
    - Luxury trim alloy & leather on gearknob and alloy look on doors
    - Black paint
    - Fixed rear window with defogger
    - Trunk/hatch spoiler
    - Glass electric front sunroof
    - Tinted glass on cabin
    - Weights: curb weight (lbs) 3,285
    - Windshield wipers with automatic intermittent wipe
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Sedan Interior Standard Features
    - 12v power outlet: front and 2
    - Air conditioning with climate control and rear outlet
    - Element antenna
    - Peripheral anti-theft protection
    - Audio anti-theft protection: separate display, code and integrated in dash
    - Manufacturer's own RDS audio system with AM/FM, Disc Autochanger and six-disc remote changer
    - Cargo area light
    - Cargo capacity: all seats in place (cu ft): 15
    - Clock
    - Computer with average speed, average fuel consumption and range for remaining fuel
    - Full dashboard console with open storage box , full floor console with covered storage box
    - Delayed/fade courtesy lights
    - Cruise control
    - Front seats and rear seats cup holders pop out
    - Door ajar warning
    - Door entry light
    - Door pockets/bins for driver seat, passenger seat and rear seats
    - External temperature
    - Floor covering: carpet in load area
    - Floor mats
    - Driver and passenger front airbag with occupant sensors intelligent
    - Sports electrically adjustable driver seat with height adjustment, lumbar adjustment, four adjustments and tilt adjustment , sports electrically adjustable passenger seat with height adjustment, four adjustments and tilt adjustment
    - Height adjustable 3-point reel front seat belts on driver seat and passenger seat with pre-tensioners
    - Front seat center armrest
    - Glove compartment
    - Two height adjustable active head restraints on front seats , two height adjustable head restraints on rear seats
    - Headlight control with time delay switch-off and auto off with ignition
    - Illuminated entry system
    - Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 38.9, rear headroom (inches): 37, front leg room (inches): 42.3, rear leg room (inches): 35.1, front shoulder room (inches): 56.3, rear shoulder room (inches): 55.1 and interior volume (cu ft): 93.4
    - Low fuel level warning
    - Low washer fluid level warning
    - Remote power locks includes trunk/hatch and includes power windows
    - Power steering
    - Front power windows with two one-touch , rear power windows
    - Front and rear reading lights
    - Rear fog lights
    - 3-point reel rear seat belts on driver side, passenger side and center side
    - Rear seat center armrest with trunk access
    - Three asymmetrical bench front facing rear seats with zero adjustments
    - Rear view mirror
    - Steering wheel mounted remote audio controls
    - Remote control remote trunk/hatch release
    - Front and rear roof airbag
    - Front seat back storage
    - Leather seat upholstery with additional vinyl
    - Seating: five seats
    - Service interval indicator
    - Front side airbag
    - Thirteen speaker(s)
    - Leather covered multi-function steering wheel with tilt adjustment and telescopic adjustment
    - Tachometer
    - Illuminated driver and passenger vanity mirror
    - Ventilation system with recirculation setting and micro filter

Here are my favorite pics so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I am not a big car fan myself, I am a truck guy. But I have read alot of good things about SAAB vehicles. Sharp ride man, I like Black personally myself also.

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

For my first Mod... im working with a guy who tunes Saabs. www.vtunersaabs.com

Im building him a new site, you can see it at www.traditionfootball.com/vtuner

In return he's going to give me a free Stage 0 tune.

I will go from 250 HP to 320 HP with just a remap of the CPU. Here's the Dyno.

[​IMG]

4. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

After i get Staged, the next thing i want to address is wheels and tires.

I really like my OEM Aero wheels, but that have just a bit of curb rash on two of them. I also like black wheels... so i was thinking about powder coating mine with a semi-gloss black.

it would look like this.. what do you think?

[​IMG]

5. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Coming from another car guy, sharp ride. I like the stage 0 mod, getting that much horsepower while basically doing nothing is ridiculous.

I like the black rims, I just don't like those black rims. Sorry. It might just be because it's a picture though and you can't really see the details of them very well. Not a big fan of the blue Saab logo staying on an all black rim either. Just my .02 though.

6. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

thanks for the reply...

I like the rims because they are OEM. I want to keep some of the mods close to the Saab brand. I would just be coloring them.

And i totally agree on the badges.. and that's why im replacing them all with these.

[​IMG]

7. Iron Mickey

Personally I am not a big fan of black rims. But actually for your ride it looks pretty damn good. It all depends on the vehicle really. I agree on changing to those badges though Ryno.

Like the horse power jump too. Nice. Expect worse gas mileage though...lol.

8. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Good looking ride. Not sure my big ass would fit in that car but it looks good for some one else to drive.

9. Iron Mickey

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i second that...if ryno is picking me up in the SAAB at DFW next year to go to a Boys game....i might have to sqeeze my ass in...lmao

10. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Me being a car guy Ryno, first props, I love those 9-3's. Second, the black looks good, but for some other color selections on wheels (just color selection) look at www.rotawheels.com They have some great colors, and there are some other colors that look great with black. On that remap of the ecu, that is flywheel HP correct? It looks like they are probably throwing another 5-6lbs of boost at the motor in the remap. Otherwise probably some fine tuning of very conservative mapping in both timing and fuel from the factory. That is quite a gain for a remap, honestly.

Mike

11. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, that sort of a gain from just a remap is nuts. Hopefully you maintain at least some streetability, especially since it's your DD.

I'm a fan of black rims on some cars. For some reason, I'm not liking that pic you posted. Can't explain why though. I guess I favor 'deeper dish' rims. Something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. GoGators

I love the rims on the BMW above. I think the black with the touches of chrome really set them off. Although, no offense if it's someones car from here, but it looks kind of silly having everything blacked out (wheels, tail lights, etc.), without tinted windows. Makes me think, oops you forgot something.

The black badges you posted for the rims are sick and should make the original picture you posted a lot better. I think with blacking the rims out though you need to look into the headlight and tail light covers too. I wouldn't go completely black on them, but they should probably get smoked to keep with the theme.

13. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

you need 19" - "20 rims to pull off the deep inset... and really, those cars you showed are a step above mine in quality, and those rims are justified for that level of performance/luxury. I just have a small, agile little sports sedan that getting a huge power boost. Not sure those inset rims would look good on my car.

maybe im wrong.. would have to photoshop them.

14. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

hmm....

[​IMG]

15. GoGators

hahaha, that looks funny. Yeah, the deep dish rims are go big or go home. They really only look right on big bodies cars. Also, if you get a rim that's too big/heavy it's going to hinder your performance/HP.

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

IMO the blackout looks sharp man.

17. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I have gold powdercoated OEM M3 wheels on my car with Chrome Lip. But IMO black wheels look better all black.

18. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I've seen 18" that look good. The scale of the ones you 'shopped onto your car are probably the equivalent to 16".

And yes, that are usually more performance cars, but if you have a 280+ whp car, you might like the extra 3/8" to 1/2" of rubber you can fit on a wider, deep wheel.

Even if it's just a slight inset:

[​IMG]

The front ones on this:

[​IMG]

19. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

got my Stage 0 yesterday. Took the car to the dealership this week for a 24pt inspection to make sure everything is in proper working order and get the last manufacturer warranteed oil service.. (you only change every 15,000 miles or so in this car). They found a small leak in the coolant hose/pipe that runs to the turbo and it was causing my coolant to slowly drain out of the expansion tank. Fixed under warranty.

So by the end of the weekend i should be rolling at 320HP, hoping to do 0-60 in around 4.4 seconds.... i might just jizzz myself..

20. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Where do you drive this thing to test your speed? Down the highway? lol

21. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i live on the edge of the metroplex... there is ALOT of country road and new, desolate highway out here... so yea, basically

22. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

23. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I like the black rims, but Im not a big fan of the all black. Personally, I LOVE the Black Out, but black rims with a chrome lip or the dark dark grey like on that BMW. For me when it comes to cars, all black is the way I will go 90% of the time...th eother 10%...White

24. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Personally:
    The rims in POST #4 are on point.. black out

POST #14 I don't like them very much.

just my taste and sharing it.. (y)

25. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

We should have a TF Texas Track Day hahaha. Ive never taken my little civic to the track, but it would be fun to run a few 1/4 mile runs.