S1: Mid Season Review

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

The Experience

We are roughly halfway through this season.

How is your team doing overall?

How do you feel at this point? Right where you should be? Worse? Better?

Predictions on who wins divisions/conferences?

Let's have a little discussion.

2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Getting better but started off horribly. Full write up with two summaries coming tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Overall we are doing alright but have lost three crucial games to big name opponents, all by less than a TD and that is really frustrating at times. Need that clutch skill.

At this point I feel pretty vulnerable actually, I finish the season against 4 users and need just one more win to become bowl eligible. Knowing my history vs users that will be tough to do and I risk going 5-7...again. But so far I've given users a headache with Ole Miss and plan try my best to at least make a bowl like I stated in my season prediction.

Division/Conference Predictions

Pac-12

Washington State is surprising everyone and coming out with a hot start to the season and an early lead but there is a lot of season left. I think Washington wins the game and the tiebreaker if WSU stumbles against anyone but them in the Pac-12. UCLA looks to be in control of the South with a big win over Cal recently.

Overall: Washington and UCLA meet in the Pac-12 CCG with Washington victorious.

SEC

Missouri controls the East and with Vandy out of the way completely, only Tennessee is his competition and he already took them down. In the West it will come down to Alabama and Mississippi St, I'm in a distant third with a 2-2 Divisional record with Alabama holding a tiebreaker over me. I think Mississippi State overtakes the Tide to win the West.

Overall: Missouri and Miss St have a rematch in the CCG with Missouri once again victorious.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Starting to rebound. My QB is a Senior and a great runner but not my style, I will be looking to move towards a pro style offense in the future.

Recruiting is pretty bad, but we should land some decent guys and at least fill empty spots.

I have been getting bombed by home stretch in school, but after this week I finish 2 of my 4 classes, so things will slowly start clearing up for me so I can hopefully get back into the full swing of things.

5. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

upload_2013-11-11_9-7-4.png

How is your team doing overall?

The team is playing great. The offense is unstoppable with Josey and Fields both having exceptional speed. The passing attack has begun to falter, throwing too many interceptions. The defensive line has been able to pile up the sack totals early in the season but the team has recently been giving up too many points and more conservative approach might be needed down the stretch to get into the SEC CCG.

How do you feel at this point? Right where you should be? Worse? Better?

Overall Record: 6-1 (5-0 conference with 2 game lead over TN)
    Record vs USER: 2-1

Based on the talent I think we are right where we need to be. We have some serious talent that looks bound for Columbia this year that will only continue to strengthen this talented football team.

Predictions on who wins divisions/conferences?

SEC
    Mizzou over Miss State

Pac-12
    Washington over UCLA

I also believe that the Heisman trophy is Josey's to lose. He has won SEC offensive player of the week award back-2-back weeks. Manziel is having an amazing season but in an effort to avoid super cheese :doodie: I have been pulling Josey late in games. If Josey is going to make the jump over Manziel, Josey may need to stay in the game late if the situation allows itself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Tennessee Volunteers

My team sucks. We are boring on offense and weak on defense.

We are doing much worse than expected. I legitimately felt a SEC title was a realistic goal. Not gonna happen.

The only silver lining is the success on the recruiting trail, Tennessee has received 2big oral commitments so far is in line for many more.

I will go with Mizzou and UCLA.

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Lol. Oral.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dakota7

With my luck right now those kids may decommit.

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

So far Cal is doing better than expected. We're 5-2 and are already 4-1 in user games with 1 user game left. On the flip side, user games are usually pretty easy with default sliders and we're only 1-1 against the CPU and we still have games against USC, ASU, and Clemson so there's likely more losses coming in the future. Right now we're right where we need to be in terms of win/loss, but just barely where we need to be in terms of rankings (we're only ranked #40 and we need to finish in the top 40 to get that 4th star of prestige). Despite wins over Tennessee, Missouri, and Mississippi St, the voters haven't been remotely impressed.

We're in serious trouble on the recruiting trails. I'm too used to recruiting with a much higher level coach with a more prestigious school (at least by the time I raised their prestige up from a :3stars: ) so I've gotten myself into entirely too many battles with the USCs and Stanfords of the world that we have no hope of winning. I'm having to regroup midseason and cutting bait on a bunch of recruits and trying to salvage a viable plan B. Being well on my way to beating my rival UCLA in front of a ton of recruits only to have the game get disconnected and losing the rematch really hurt, but even if I had won that game, I still would've ultimately lost most of these guys to USC/Stanford/etc.

<begin_rant>
    Our offense is all discombobulated right now. Everyone knows that I'd run the ball on every down if I could so most of the users I've faced have stacked the box against me, forcing me to throw the ball, which I hate. It's clearly not an issue with not being effective (against users I'm 4-1 and my QB has these stats: 202.3 QBR, 88/113 (78%), 1313 yds (263 YPG), 11 TD, 3 INT) it's just really boring. On top of that every user (except MSU) uses aggressive option defense which I've found that I really fucking hate. Again it's not an issue of effectiveness (only 4 user HBs have a better YPC average than my #1 HB) it just makes running options REALLY fucking boring. It turns all normal (double) options into single options. It also turns all triple options into single fucking options. I might as well just go with designed runs as my only running plays. My PB has 85 option plays of 34 different types, yet against users they might as well just be designed HB runs. I LOVE all the new option types they added to '14 and it's easily my favorite new feature to the game, but with 1 simple setting everyone can just get rid of them all and make them all designed runs. It's the equivalent of if I could set a slider so that air raid guys could only ever throw to 1 or 2 receivers. Imagine how fucking retarded that would be, yet you can do the same thing to an option team. Again, I'm not saying this makes my offense less effective, I'm saying it makes it nearly infinitely more fucking boring. On top of that, it almost completely removes what will be the main asset of every QB that I recruit; his legs. I go for guys that are dangerous on the ground, but less effective through the air, yet 1 magical button can completely make it impossible for him to run the ball except for designed QB runs. Where is my magic button that can make it impossible for pocket passers to throw the ball and force them to have to run? And yes, I mean "impossible", not "more difficult." My PB has 17 designed QB runs of 5 different types so 83% of my QB's opportunities to run are from option plays, yet against most users he has 0% chance to run on any option so that means that 83% of his chances to run are completely removed. Why don't I have a magical button that makes it impossible (again, not difficult, but impossible) for other QBs to pass the ball on 83% of their passing plays?

What's the point of recruiting someone like these guys:
    upload_2013-11-11_11-25-1.png upload_2013-11-11_11-32-42.png upload_2013-11-11_11-33-4.png

If the only thing he can ever do against a user is to either throw the ball (boring) or simply hand it to a HB (WAY more fucking boring)? I don't really see the point.......
    </end_rant>

Given Tennessee's surprising struggles, the SEC-E obviously belongs to Missouri. MSU controls their own fate in the SEC-W, but they've struggled a LOT against users and they still have to go through Ole Miss and Arkansas. I see them losing 1 or both of those games which could open the door for Ole Miss, but I see them losing again as well so it probably opens the door for a CPU team. Either way I see a team with 3 conference losses winning the West. I see the West representative winning the SEC.

With a 1 game lead on everyone (following their loss to Stanford) UCLA opened the door for Arizona or possibly USC, but I still see UCLA coming out of the Pac12-S, probably with 2 conference losses. The Pac12-N is the most interesting race of all with undefeated schools from the state of Washington. I see them both losing a game or two down the stretch, but I think their season finale will decide who wins the division. I think WSU pulls it out to face UCLA for the Pac12 championship. Since in the Pac12 the best team hosts the game, and given how powerful home field advantage is in '14, I think the home team wins the conference.

10. Hova

Good. Someone finally learned how to stop it. Stop running that lame offense and go pro style (y)

11. jello1717

Did you not read my post? In case you didn't, lemme make it easier for you:

12. Hova

Atleast you are not winning titles and recruiting studs in year 1 like Illinois

13. dakota7

I was looking through season stats and just realized that I haven't forced a single turnover this season. That's why I am struggling.

14. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I'm -17 in Turnover Differential so I think i know my problem.... Maybe.

15. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Arizona Wildcats Mid-Season Report
    Opening Rant:
    The Arizona Wildcats came into the season with very high hopes. They were expected to compete for some post season aspirations in a first every Rose Bowl. Unfortunately, those dreams were made painfully obvious that they were just that. Dreams. Arizona is trying to find their way. The Hyper Offense that Arizona had hoped would explode took a lot of time to figure out. Turnovers have KILLED the Wildcats. They have been the black eye on the #1 passing offense in the nation. Their defense has also been very disappointing. They have been gashed at times but the secondary is a huge disgrace. Giving up 276 yards a game is unacceptable. They need to figure this out because things are going to come crashing down for them. There are a few bright spots though. Davonte Neal has proved to be the explosive player he was made out to be when first recruited. He wasn't utilized to his ability at Notre Dame but can be in the Arizona offense. Also, the new QB Javelle Allen has come out as the playmaker on offense. He is starting to make a lot of plays and looks to drive Arizona to a bowl in their second half of the season. On defense, Marquis Flowers is starting to make plays on defense. He is a great player and he plays like it. Arizona will have a tough road in the last 6 games, facing 4 teams with winning records (3 users and FSU). They still can win something in the PAC-12 but that means winning out. It's a goal and they look to accomplish it.

Grades:

Quarterbacks: C-
    After settling on Javelle Allen, the offense looks to be moving a lot better under him.

Runningbacks: C
    Arizona has been hurting. Ka'Deem Carey was hurt for the first 4 weeks. With him gone, Arizona went 0-4. When he was back, Arizona is 2-0.

Wide Receivers: B+
    The bright spot for the Wildcats offense, but they need to continue this play into the second half of the season.

Offensive Line: D-
    A lot of sacks given up this season. The biggest offender being Eric Bender Ramsay with 8

Defensive Line: C-
    The Defensive Line has done okay, totaling 15 sacks between them (7 from Justin Washington)

Linebackers: B-
    Marquis Flowers and Jake Fischer are playing well, but could be way better.

Defensive Backs: C
    Having their moments, the DBs need massive improvement in the second half.

Special Teams: B+
    Jake Smith is playing well with only one missed field goal from 50+, Riggleman is booting balls on his punts, and Jordan Grandon is a serviceable returner.

Predictions:

Arizona will finishing the season 6-6 with wins over Arizona St, Colorado, Florida St (major upset), and California at home (wishful thinking upset). A bowl game is the prize and the Wildcats only have 2 losses left to give up. Weeks 9-11 will tell a lot for the Wildcats season.

UCLA will win the PAC-12 South, Wazzu will win the North. UCLA will upset the Cougars and head to their home stadium in Pasadena.

Ole Miss will come back and pull out the SEC West, as Mizzou pulls away from the SEC East (having past up and beaten all their other "competition). Ole Miss will upset Mizzou in the CCG.

California will finish the season with a 9-3 with that loss vs Arizona but will find a way to get a top 10 recruiting class, starting the Jello dominance. Mississippi State will fall to A&M and Bama which will make them feel the pressure into the Ole Miss Egg Bowl game and they get demolished. In their bowl game, Mississippi State will lose big and will be in for a tough offseason (All love for you Raidernation just making some wild predictions if you can't tell).

Masler I'm signing off for my content for the week. Off to play Skyrim and Pokemon for the night. Game will be done tomorrow before or after class (most likely before the class).

• Like Like x 3
  16. jello1717

My D has been terrible too. You're the only team in the country with fewer forced turnovers than mine....

We've harassed QBs with 18 deflections, but my guys just can't catch them as they only have 3 INTs....

17. jello1717

Masler are the Pac12 and SEC champs setup to play in a BCS bowl?

18. Masler

Masler Moderator

Sugar Bowl

19. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

standings.png
    schedule.png
    Mississippi State is a quality football team and if it weren't for turnovers late in games we would likely be sitting in the top ten with one loss going into the SEC home stretch. We are fielding a good run defense this year and because of that teams have chosen to go to the air on us with a degree of success.
    This will all have to change in the coming weeks.

leaders.png
    passing.png receiving.png
    rushing.png return.png
    Our destiny is in our hands with 3 losses we still have a shot at the SEC championship game and possible BCS bowl bid. We just have to leave this middle of the road mentality to the way side. Hard not to say I'm disappointed but I had it coming. The play book will be opened up in preparation for this run at the SEC title. The Alabama game will be the indicator whether or not we're ready for the SEC Championship level football.

Outside of myself I'd go with Mizzou winning the conference but if the old Fmode11 shows up Ole Miss will be in the SEC drivers seat. Out west I'm going with UCLA to win the Pac, though it remains to be seen whether jello1717 is bluffing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  20. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

ScreenHunter_69 Oct. 29 20.36.jpg

This is late but of course we are happy with our season we are 4-1 in user games with one left...5 of the 6 have been road games as well which is also a pretty daunting task. The only home user game the Cougars had was vs Ole Miss and Masler.

We are sitting at 9- 1 right now, getting ready to play Utah, a winnable game if our D continues to perform. We are pleased and feel we have over achieved this year which helps moving ahead.

We have managed to stick together a class of players we like and think will help us....but a couple must get players remain and we will be rooting big time for the Beavers to beat rival Oregon next week in the Civil war.

Go Beavers bigrice25

Civil-War-Game (1).jpg

• Like Like x 1