(S1)Pick 'Em Game | Week 4

Discussion in 'Pushing for Paydirt' started by Bulldog, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

GOTW: FSU-Clemson Rivalry oka Bowden Bowl
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Clemson and FSU first played in 1970, predating Florida State's membership in the ACC. The actual rivalry started to emerge in 1988 when the No. 3 Clemson Tigers hosted the No. 10 Seminoles in a grueling match-up, that was ultimately decided by Leroy Butler's infamous 78-yard "puntrooskie" run, costing Clemson the victory and dashing their national title hopes. Clemson avenged their loss in 1989, with a dominating 34-23 victory in Tallahassee, marked by a 73-yard scoring run by Terry Allen and a 73-yard interception return by Wayne Simmons. Both the Seminoles an Tigers finished the 1989 season with 10-2 records, and ranked No. 3 and No. 12 in the final AP poll, respectively. Prior to FSU's arrival, Clemson was a dominant team in the ACC winning six of the past 11 ACC titles from 1981-1991. However, after the departure of Clemson's national championship winning coach Danny Ford in 1989, the 1991 ACC title would be their last until 2011, as Florida State's success continued for much of the 1990s, with less consistent opposition in the conference. The rivalry picked up, however, when Tommy Bowden, son of FSU coach Bobby Bowden was hired at Clemson University in 1999, in an attempt to help rebuild the program. It was once called the Bowden Bowl. Florida State leads the all-time series 17-8.​
    The Tiger Bowl
    LSU at Auburn
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Both universities have been members of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) since December 1932, but the rivalry dates back to the first meeting of their football teams in 1901. The two teams did not play each other between 1943 and 1968, and then only occasionally until 1992. The SEC instituted divisional play in 1992, and the Auburn Tigers and LSU Tigers have met annually on the football field every year since. LSU leads the all-time series 25-20-1.​
    Michigan-Notre Dame Rivalry
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Michigan football and Notre Dame football are considered to be among the most elite college programs. Michigan and Notre Dame respectively rank #1 and #2 in winning percentage and #1 and #3 in all time wins. The rivalry is heightened by the two schools' competition for all-time win percentage, which each has held during their history, as well as national championships, with each school claiming 11. Both teams have iconic helmets, uniforms, and fight songs. Fierce competition for the same type of student-athletes as well as disputes over Notre Dame's potential conference membership in the Big Ten conference also serve to fuel the rivalry. Notre Dame and Michigan first played in 1887 in Notre Dame's first football game. The Wolverines proceeded to win the first eight contests, before Notre Dame notched its first win in the series in 1909. In 1942, in the first meeting since 1909, Michigan beat then #1 Notre Dame in Notre Dame Stadium. The next season, on October 9, top-ranked Notre Dame defeated second-ranked Michigan in the first matchup of top teams since the creation of the AP Poll 1936. The two teams ceased to play each other until the series was renewed in 1978. It has since been played annually with the exception of hiatuses in 1983–1984, 1995–1996, and 2000–2001. Including the 2011 season game, Michigan leads the overall series 22–15–1; since the 1978 renewal, Michigan leads 14–13–1. The two programs agreed to a 25-year contract extension in 2007 that will keep the rivalry game going through the 2031 season. Michigan leads the all-time record 23-15-1.​
    Rio Grande Rivalry
    New Mexico at New Mexico St.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The current format of the rivalry, awarding each school points based on victories over the other in head-to-head competition, was introduced prior to the start of the 2007-08 academic year. Each head-to-head contest between the institutions in any NCAA varsity sport is worth 1.5 points, with the exception of American football and volleyball, which are worth 3 points each, and baseball and softball, in which each game is worth .75 points. The point totals are tabulated at the end of the academic year and a traveling trophy is presented to the school with the greater accumulated points total. The trophy is to be officially presented to the winning school at its first home football or men's basketball game against the other school during the following academic year. Prior to the institution of the current all-sports format the annual head-to-head matchups between the UNM Lobos and NMSU Aggies, particularly in football and men's basketball, were often referred to as the "Battle of I-25" in recognition of the campuses both being located along that interstate highway. The University of New Mexico celebrates the rivalry with the Red Rally, an annual event which takes place the Thursday evening before that year's UNM-NMSU football game, in which an effigy of an Aggie is set on fire. New Mexico leads 66-31-5.​
    Maryland-West Virginia Rivalry
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The two teams first played in 1919 and the series ran uninterrupted between 1980 and 2007. West Virginia currently leads with an all-time record of 25–21–2. The longest streak in the series is tied at six. Maryland previously held the streak (six games, between 1949 and 1966), and was matched by West Virginia after the 2011 contest. The two teams met for the Gator Bowl for a re-match at the end of the 2003 season. Until the series lapsed in 2007, the game was the longest continuously running non-conference game for both schools.​
    Position Coach Correct Picks
    1 DerekC 11
    2 Baron 8
    3 Bucs 6
    3 JFace907 4
    3 sawemoff 6
    3 MartyWebb 8
    4 Bulldog 6
    4 Mike E 5
    4 I Peench 5
    5 Danthraxxx 3
    6 SteamBoatReb 0
    6 RedZoneD25 0

Baron Bucs Danthraxxx DerekC I Peench JFace907 MartyWebb Mike E papaloke sawemoff

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bulldog

Week closed as soon as we advance to week 4

3. Bulldog

FSU
    LSU
    Michigan
    New Mexico
    WVU

4. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

FSU
    LSU
    Notre Dame
    Aggies
    WVU

5. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Florida State
    Louisiana State
    Michigan
    New Mexico State
    West Virginia

6. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Clemson
    LSU
    ND
    New Mexico
    Maryland

7. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Tomahawk
    stinky cats
    red beards
    New jalapenos
    West vagina

8. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Clemson
    LSU
    Michigan
    New Mexico
    West Virginia

9. Bulldog

test

Position Coach Correct Picks
    1 DerekC 11
    2 Baron 8
    3 Bucs 6
    3 JFace907 4
    3 sawemoff 6
    3 MartyWebb 8
    4 Bulldog 6
    4 Mike E 5
    4 I Peench 5
    5 Danthraxxx 3
    6 SteamBoatReb 0
    6 RedZoneD25 0

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bulldog

11. Bulldog

Week is about to close get your picks in ASAP ;)

12. Bulldog

Week 4 is closed!

13. Bulldog

what are these?

14. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Fsu
    Lsu
    ND
    New Mexico