S1 -- Team Previews

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by The Richuation, Aug 16, 2014.

1. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

2. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    Offense

• Quarterback-This is where the questions begin and end for Buffalo, Is E.J. Manuel the long term answer or just another short term problem? It's been said that the new regime in Buffalo prefers more of a pro-style QB but Manuel will be given his shot. Provided he can stay healthy, Manuel will be our guy in season 1 and it will be sink or swim in his sophomore season.
    • Running Back-One of the strengths of the Bills, both Spiller and Jackson can tote the rock. The question is can Spiller stay healthy? If so, this tandem may be able to carry Buffalo to a few wins with their legs alone. You add in new addition Bryce Brown and the Bills have their fair share of threats out of the backfield.
    • Recievers/Tight Ends-Most of the talk out of Buffalo this off-season has been excitement over the playmaking ability of rookie WR Sammy Watkins. Watkins will be expected to emerge as a #1 wideout for this team and live up to the hype surrounding him. While not exactly loaded with amazing wideouts, Buffalo does have a plethora of guys who are capable of doing the job. Robert Woods has shown potential and they have breakaway speed guys in T.J. Graham and Marquise Goodwin. This group is unheralded but may be able to gel and help out the untested E.J. Manuel. TE Scott Chandler provides a great security blanket.
    • Offensive Line-This unit gave up 48 sacks last season, ranking in the bottom 5 of the NFL. If progress is to be expected out of Manuel, it will have to start with the guys up front. LT Cordy Glenn is the rock of the unit, a player capable of going to the pro bowl for the next many years. They also have C Eric Wood who has shown some potential. However, the rest of the line is up for grabs. The right side of the line is the weakest where incumbents G Kraig Urbik and RT Erik Pears will have to battle Doug Legursky and Cyrus Kouandjio to hold on to the starting spots.
    Defense

• Defensive Line-Unquestionably the strength of this team and arguably the best D-Line in the entire NFL. This unit returns 3 pro bowler and a guy who recorded double digit sacks last season. DT Marcell Dareus is a superstar and looks to continue his improvement. With Kyle Williams playing beside him, you can almost guarantee there won't be many double teams. The line is bookended by Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes, both of whom feed of the push the interior guys get. This unit will be the motor of this team and another big year by them could lead to a big turnaround for the Bills defense
    • Linebackers-Kiko Alonso is the best player in this quickly improving unit, however, he went down in camp with a knee injury that could sideline him for the season. Fortunately, there is depth in this unit and a combination of OLB Nigel Bradham, MLB Keith Rivers and rookie Preston Brown will look to fill the void left by Alonso. Owner DJ Perrigo is on record saying he expects MLB Brandon Spikes to have a breakout season this year. The ferocious front four of Buffalo may help to make this unit look a little better then they actually are
    • Defensive Backs-This is a young unit who looks to have some potential. There are three very capable corners in Gilmore, Graham, and McKelvin who coaches are very confident in. The problems lie in the safeties, the Bills took a HUGE hit when they lost Jairus Byrd to the New Orleans Saints in free agency this offseason. No one has stepped up and stolen either starting safety spot so it will be more of plug and test situation until the right combo is found.
    Outlook: The Bills have spent 14 seasons on the outside of the playoffs looking in. They hope to end that drought this year. Coaches are optimistic that the young talent they have been amassing the last couple years will begin to gel and make this a complete team finally. The entire season may hinge on the development of QB E.J. Manuel.

Projection: 8-8 and extending the streak to 15 seasons.

• Like Like x 5
  3. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

Things are changing in the River City. This is the second year for Coach Bradley and Owner Shad Khan who is putting his money where his mouth is with the installation of the largest video boards in the world at Everbank Field. This team is in the second year of yet another rebuilding process.

[​IMG]

Key Departures from last years team include the face of the franchise Maurice Jones-Drew (left for the Oakland as a FA for more money) and Blaine Gabbert (Traded to San Fran for a 6th Rounder) who was supposed to be the QB of the future but never did come close to meeting the expectations of a first round pick. The Jags have moved on from the past and are focused on 2014 and beyond.

Quarterback

[​IMG]

While some expect a QB controversy given the last rookie's performance in Jacksonville and worries regarding a similar outcome with Bortles, there is no controversy as far as this GM is concerned. By the numbers Bortles is a better QB and he will get the start week 1.

Running Back

With the departure of MJD to the West Coast, this will be a Running Back by Committee approach with Toby Gerhart being the work horse between the tackles, Jordan Todman and Denard Robinson will be change of pace backs. None of the three are particularly dominating especially with an anemic offensive line with the exception of Luke Joeckel at Left Tackle.

[​IMG]

Wide Receiver

If there is a strength with the Jaguars for the future, this is it. With a stable of receivers that includes Justin "Pot is Legal In Colorado" Blackmon, Cecil "Glass Jaw" Shorts III, Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson. This is a contract year for Shorts and most likely will hit the Market unless the deal is the right one for the Jags

[​IMG]

Tight End

Marcedes Lewis - After a great contract year, Marcedes has been pretty much useless despite his big frame.

[​IMG]

D-Line

With significant upgrades in free agency over the last couple of years including Sen' Derrick Marks and Ziggy Hood at DT, Red Bryant and Chris Clemons at DE the line is better but by no means elite and is sure to be a focus in the offseason.

Line Backers

Paul Pozluzny lead the NFL in tackles in 2013 and is the leader of the Defense. He is flanked by Dekoda Watson and Geno Hayes at the OLB positions. J.T Thomas from WVU and Telvin Smith demonstrate the depth or lack there of at this position.

[​IMG]

Cornerback

Gus Bradley began bring in physical corners much like he did in Seattle with the likes of 2nd year CB Duane Gratz. Gratz is joined by Will Blackmon and Alan Ball

Safety

Sherod Martin and Jonathan Cyprien will play in the Free and Strong Safety Positions respectively. Cyprien is a 2nd year player drafted in the second round of the 2013 draft and is expected to make some serious strides in performance.

[​IMG]

Punter

Bryan Anger
    This is who the Jags drafted over Russell Wilson....we will let that sink in for a minute. With a 91 Kick Power and 92 Kick Accuracy he will see plenty of action especially considering the teams offensive gaps.

[​IMG]

Kicker

Josh Scobee

While the Jags have made some improvements in the last 2 drafts, the damage done by Gene Smith will take many more years to overcome. There are just too many gaps on both sides of the ball. It will take at least 2 more drafts to help the team transition to a 3 - 4 defense and shore up the lines.

Projected record for 2014: 3 - 13

P.S. I don't like wearing pants

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
  4. BrewBomber

BrewBomber Walk On

[​IMG]
    Green Bay Packers 2014 Season Preview
    Here is a position by position outlook

• QB: Aaron Rodgers is one of the best QB's in the game. Flynn and Tolzien are the backups. Interested to see if I keep three here. Big fight for the backup.
    • RB/FB: Very solid here. Lacy is the started with Starks and Harris getting a few carries to change the pace. John Kuhn is one of the best FB's in the game.
    • TE: Six TE's on the roster. May keep 3 or 4. Big decisions here. Quarless and Bostick look solid. Rookies Lyerla and Rogers are fighting to make the team.
    • WR: Top three look to be locks Nelson, Cobb, Boykin. #4 goes to rookie Adams on paper, but Janis and Abbrederis might have something to say about that. May keep 6 here.
    • OL: Very solid here with depth. Sitton, Lang and Bulaga are studs. Tretter, Bakhtiari, Sherrod, and Barclay are also good options. Rookie Linsley fighting to make team.
    • DL: Raji, Neal, Jones and Daniels look to be locks, but there may be a surprise or two here.
    • LB: Clay Matthews headlines the LB corps. Newcomer Julius Pepper looks to provide a pass rush opposite Clay. Hawk and Jones look to man the middle. Nick Perry should make the team, but a lot of other question marks. Should keep 8 or 9 here.
    • CB: Fantastic first three options with Williams, Shields and Hayward. Unsure of who is the #2. Dime back should be a battle between Bush and House.
    • FS: Rookie HaHa Clinton-Dix and Richardson seem to have this locked down.
    • SS: Morgan Burnett is on a thin rope. Chris Banjo and Micah Hyde are giving him a run for his money. Could see a new starter here.
    • P/K: Mason Crosby and Tim Masthay are locks here.
    Packers are looking to win the NFC North and do some damage in the playoffs. Prediction: 11-5

• Like Like x 3
  5. Cgreen214

Cgreen214 Walk On

[​IMG]
    OFFENSE
    • Quarterback: The Buccaneers have two QBs that could easily be starting by week one of the regular season in Mike Glennon and Josh McCown. McCown was acquired during free agency from Chicago. The Bucs hope he picks up right where he left off after coming in for injured Jay Cutler to finish the 2013 season (66.5 pct. for 1,829 yards with 13 TDs and 1 Int. QBR 109). McCown will be the likely starter, but it could easily end up being Mike Glennon again before the first game. McCown just lacks the arm strength Glennon possesses (84 THP vs 95 THP). One of these QBs have to stand out in order for the bucks to take advantage of the talent they have at WR. If one doesn't emerge this could be the first position taken in next years draft.
    • Wide receiver: The Bucs are looking very dangerous at WR. They have two 6'5" 230 lb receivers in Vincent Jackson and 1st round draft pick Mike Evans. Throw in Louis Murphy who has a little more speed and look out. The Bucs have a decent amount of depth at this position as well.
    • Tight End: The TE position is a pretty solid group. The Bucs have two capable starters in Brandon Myers and Timothy Wright. They also drafted Austin Sefarian-Jenkins out of Washington. Sefarian-Jenkins could emerge into another dangerous downfield/red zone threat for the Bucs.
    • Running backs: Having Doug Martin gives them a great combo of size and speed. The Bucs just have to hope he can return to his rookie year form after last years injury. The only good thing about last years injury is it showed that backups Bobby Rainey and Mike James are capable if something were to go wrong again. Jeff Demps was also acquired from the Patriots and gives them some world class speed that can torch any team if used correctly.
    • O-Line: The OL looks to be the biggest problem for the Bucs. Carl Nicks at LG is the lone stud on the OL. After him the cupboard is bare and if a big injury strikes depth is a huge issue. As of now scouts will be looking for some 1st round caliber lineman throughout college football.
    Defense
    • D-Line: The DL is a mixed bunch containing two studs and two average players. Gerald McCoy at DT is a force to be reckoned with and the acquisition of Michael Johnson is sure to add some strength and speed to that end spot. After those two the rest of the DL is average at best. I would love to see Da'Quan Bowers and Steven Means step up and win the other starting spots on the DL this preseason.
    • Line Backers: These LBs are well suited to stuff the run and play in pass coverage as well. The entire defense is anchored by standout 3rd year LB LaVonte David. David is strong enough to stop the run and fast enough to cover vs the pass. He is a huge key to this defensive unit playing WLB. Opposite him is SLB Jonathan Casillas who is a solid compliment opposite David. In the middle is MLB Mason Foster. Foster will need to continue to improve in order to fight off losing reps to Dane Fletcher who is a little bit faster and can shake off some of those blockers a little bit better.
    • Defensive backs: edit more later

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. publik drunk

publik drunk King of the East

[​IMG]

Carolina Panthers 2014 Team Preview
    Carolina is coming off a surprising NFC South championship, but comes into the season with some major question marks. Let's take a look at what to expect.

QB- Cam Newton is without a doubt the man here. The Panthers are really going to be leaning on Cam as there isn't a whole lot of options early on.

HB/FB- There is alot of money tied up in the backfield. Since signing big contracts both Deangelo Williams and Johnathon Stewart have been disappointing and injury ridden. Mike Tolbert though is a workhorse and look for him to have a great year.

WR/TE- Greg Olson is the only player here returning that has caught a pass from Cam. This is perhaps the biggest question mark and may be the unit that holds them back. Rookie WR Kelvin Benjamin has alot of upside though and hopefully he can breakout and be a star.

O Line- This unit was really hurt by the sudden retirement of Jordan Gross. An average at best line is not good for a team lacking in playmakers.

D-Line - The heart and soul of the team. Bestbelieve Greg Hardy will get locked down long term and ownership will try and keep this unit together long term.

LB- One name Luke Kuechly. He is an absolute superstar. The reigning defensive player of the year looks to add to his hardware collection in 2014.

Secondary- A rag tag bunch led by Charles Godfrey who can play anywhere. They are probably below average by NFL standards but the dominant front 7 makes them appear better than they are.

Going into the first year I will be really surprised if we can compete in a tough NFC South year one. Look for some cap casualties and a rebuilt team in year 2. My prediction is 6-10 and losing alot of those games close due to an impotent offense.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

[​IMG]

New Owner: Wyrmreaver
    Owner TSO Bio: Longtime NCAA player. Played in a few leagues when I first arrived, most of which died. Settled into 4th Horseman where I eventually became commissioner and After Midnight. My first season in 4th Horseman was their 4th and I took 1 star Hawaii. After a good first season I went on to win 3 National titles to close out the release. The next release I started with Army. It took a few seasons, but I eventually won a title with the Black Knights and appeared in two other NC games. In After Midnight the competition was more fierce week in week out. I appeared in a NC my first release in AM but Kapono embarrassed me. Next release I had Missouri in an all SEC league. I managed one NC while Arkansas (whygodwhy1111 ) dominated. In a problematic NCAA 14 cycle with multiple restarts I had some success but my memory lingers more on my broken 360 and the numerous coach xp errors. Now I turn my eye to Madden, where I am certain to miss my custom playbooks and recruiting rather than drafting.

QB: [​IMG]
    I expect to see this kid carted off regularly. Our backups stink. When Bradford is healthy he's above average but the reality is that we will have to look for someone to develop either in FA or the draft.

HB: [​IMG]
    Yeah, Zac is a player on the rise. A young tough runner, Stacy is a player that we can start to build around on offense.

WR: upload_2014-8-23_22-57-1.jpeg
    After an injury riddled rookie campaign, Tavon looks to step up and lead a young core of WRs. There are no stars in this group right off the bat, but with practice and performance a couple of these young players should develop nicely

TE:[​IMG]
    Jared Cook is big and fast. He should prove to be a dangerous weapon in the Rams passing attack with his speed mismatch vs most LBs

O-LINE:
    There is some talent here, notably Jake Long. This group though will need to be upgraded in the first offseason if this team is going to grow into a regular contender.

DE: upload_2014-8-23_23-3-28.jpeg
    The duo of Chris Long and Robert Quinn is one of the best in the league. They are perfectly suited for bookends in the 4-3, though the new owner has made rumblings that a move to the 3-4 could be in the teams future.

DT:
    A ton of talent here including speedy rookie Aaron Donald. Like DE, a possible move to the 3-4 could make this unit a bit of a luxury

LB: [​IMG] upload_2014-8-23_23-16-47.jpeg
    Laurinitus and Ogletree are talented players but the team lacks top shelf talent and depth

CB:
    An average at best group of defenders here in a league full of 3 and 4 WR sets, what could go wrong?

S:
    Remember what we said about our corners......

• Like Like x 3
  8. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Forgetting someone?

I seem to recall a certain Stanford team that was perennially in double-digit wins and won a national title in AM.... :p

9. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

So this guy's already torn his ACL :p

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wyrmreaver

I know! Useless!

11. Wyrmreaver

That was actually kinda before my time..... Just barely. With the rams QB laid up for the season (again) I will likely adopt the Cheez offensive approach.... Run left, run right, run center, rinse, repeat

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

13. charter04

charter04 Walk On

dallas_cowboys_team.jpg

Last Season: 8-8 (2nd place in NFC East)

Comings and goings

Key Veteran Arrivals: DT Terrell McClain, DT Henry Melton, DE Jeremy Mincey, QB Brandon Weeden
    Key Veteran Departures: WR Miles Austin, DE Everette Brown, C Phil Costa, DT Jason Hatcher, DE DeMarcus Ware, DE Jarius Wynn.

2014 Draft Selections
    1 Zack Martin OG
    2 Demarcus Lawrence OLB
    4 Anthony Hitchens LB
    5 Devin Street WR
    7 Ben Gardner DE
    7 Will Smith LB
    7 Ahmad Dixon S
    7 Ken Bishop DT
    7 Terrance Mitchell CB

Offense
    Dallas will be running the Jason Garrett offense that has roots in the Air Coryell/Norv Turner systems. They will focus more on establishing a power run game and utilizing play action. It is very import to keep Tony Romo from taking to many hits because of his injury concerns.

QB: Tony Romo returns as one of the most polarizing figures in the NFL. He has been one of the most productive QB's in the NFL but, also has the tendency to make mistakes in big moments. If he can be productive and keep from making those critical mistakes the offense should be just fine with him at the helm.

RB: Dallas plans on giving DeMarco Murray more carries than the 217 he had last season. They still want him to stay somewhere under 300 because of his injury history. If he can play all 16 then he should have no problem getting around 1,300 yards on the ground. Lance Dunbar is a serviceable back up but, look for Ryan Williams to make a push for the #2 spot.

WR/TE: The Cowboys have two of the best in WR Dez Bryant and TE Jason Witten. Bryant is just coming into his prime and looks to give Dallas a great target for year. Witten on the other hand is coming to the end of his great career. Who know how many years he has left but, he should still be a great options for Romo this year. It's going to be very important for the younger receivers step up to keep the pressure off of Bryant and Witten. Look for Terrance Williams to have a big year this year as he steps into the starting line up. Also Dallas will use plenty of formations to get TE's James Hanna and Gavin Escobar catches. The Dark Horse of this group is 6'3 WR Deven Street out Pitt.

OL: This unit is a huge key to how good a season the Cowboys can have. If they can stay healthy and play well then Dallas could have a big year on offense. LT Tyron Smith needs to have a bounce back year after a tough 2013. He has all the tools to be one of the best but, can he maximize that ability on the field. They desperately need him to do a great job of protecting Romo's blind side.

Defense
    Dallas will be running a cover 2 style 4-3 this year. They will mix in some man and zone but, will be using a bend but, don't break philosophy. Although it won't be a pure Tampa 2 they still will use some of that on defense.

DL: This is the key to the defense. If they can't get some pressure on the QB with this front for then they are toste. Losing a player like Ware is not going to help but, they have some young guys that will be counted on heavily.

LB's: With the lose of Sean Lee due to injury they are going to need Bruce Carter and Justin Durant to step up. Rolando McClain is a player that Dallas hopes can regain his old form to really help this unit.

DB's: If the front four can get pressure on the QB then this unit could have good year. If not then they may get exposed all year. The man who needs to step up the most is former first round pick Mo Claiborne. So far he has been a bust. This might be a make or break year for him.

2014 Prediction: The new owner has a long history of going 8-8 in Madden leagues so this should be a match made in heaven. 8-8

• Like Like x 3
  14. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

iggles.jpg

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 2014
    QB: Nick Foles is the clear starter this year with some possible sophomore slump expectations from some sports writers. The Eagles have a good situation with backups with Mark Sanchez and Matt Barkley.

RB: LeSean McCoy
    arguably the best running back in the league comes in as a dual threat option for Chip Kelly's offense. Darren Sproles was added this off-season and should see work in the passing game. The Eagles will be forced to make some tough decisions on who to keep at the RB position as they have a talented backfield.

FB: James Casey is the only FB on the roster and will see time at the TE position as well. James is highly versatile and may sneak in and steal time from the aging Brent Celek.

WR: Jeremy Maclin, Riley Cooper, Jordan Matthews will start. Fans and coaches are excited for Matthews coming in; the 6'2" WR has the body and skill set to become the Eagles #1 WR by mid season if he can pick up Kelly's offense. Big run blocking
    receivers on the edge are a key piece for the offense while teams think its all speed and misconception; Kelly actually values big versatile bodies and Cooper and Matthews are just that. Interesting prospects also include Michael Huff another Oregon talent and 6'7" Momah from Boston College.

TE: Expect the Zach Ertz era to begin this year giving the kid more field time will help with his progression. Celek and H-Back James will also see work at the #2 TE position.

OL: Peters, Mathis, Kelsey, Herremans, Johnson ... Big nastys provide exceptional push in the run game and are experienced and provide solid pass protection as well. Our only concern here is age, Peters, Mathis and Herremans are great lineman but are getting up there in age. Expect the Eagles to address these issues through FA and the draft in coming years.

DL: C. Thorton, F. Cox, B. Logan ... These guys are highly active bigs, however a bit undersized and under powered they'll look to make up for these faults with pure hussle. Cox has transitioned to the 5 technique in the 3-4 defense and has been excellent. Thorton has also done very well, Logan was forced to bulk this off season for nose tackle duties. We'll see how effective this is for Bennie, the Eagle may look for a true NT in the near future and move Logan back to his natural 5 T position.

LB: T. Cole, C. Barwin, M. Kendricks, D. Ryans ... Lead by team captain Ryan's this unit is also very athletic. Barwin and Cole provide a great pass rush with 2014 1st round draft pick Marcus Smith finding time in passing situations. Smith will likely replace the aging Trent Cole in the near future. The Eagles will need to add depth at the MLB position because after Kendricks the rest of the unit is scary. Look for the Eagles to address these needs after teams cut rosters down to 53.

CB: B. Fletcher, C.Williams, E. Boykin .. While fans were shocked with the Marcus Smith selection, many thought the Eagles would go with one of the strong CBs still on the board in the '14 Draft. Nickle corner Boykin is one of the leagues best, Cary Williams is also solid. Our only concern is the Bradley Fletcher; but the Eagles do have some prospects in Nolan Carrol brought in this past season as well as Jaylen Watkins the rookie out of Florida. No real house hold names but this core will manage teams passing games quite effectively.

S: Malcolm Jenkins was brought in from the New Orleans Saints and provides and instant upgrade to the back half of the Eagles D. Jenkins will start at the FS position, and pair up with 2nd year man Earl Wolff. Wolff has good speed and can cover from side line to side line. Also in the fold are veteran Nate Allen and rookie Ed Reynolds from Stanford.

K: Alex Henry has lost his edge during the off-season and Kelly has brought in another kicker to challenge Alex. We expect the Henry who beat out veteran David Akers to return to form and win his job.

P: Donnie Jones will be the teams punter until he demands too much money.

PR: Darren Sproles will return punts this year.

KR: Kenjon Barner and Michael Huff will return kickoffs this season with Sproles sitting in the 3 spot. Barner another Oregon speedster was brought in from Carolina this preseason.

Draft Needs : OL, DL, LB, CB

Trade Block : Matt Barkley (QB), Mark Sanchez (QB), Vinny Curry (DE 4-3)

• Like Like x 2
  15. bawvu97

Featured Threads:
    So I have to play you week 1 eff me lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

We expect to see Bortles out there getting his feet wet! Screw Gus' current stance with him!

• Like Like x 1
  17. bawvu97

Featured Threads:
    He needs the Xp but I don't wanna regress with him

18. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers 2014 Team Preview

Entering into the fourth year of the Jim Harbaugh era the 49ers have their collective sights set on another run deep into the playoff picture. The team has one Super Bowl and two NFC Championship games in the three years that Harbaugh has patrolled the sidelines.

OFFSEASON
    Losing three quality contributors in the secondary would give any team reason for concern but the team believed they could let Brown and Rogers go across the Bay. Adding a quality starter in Bethea helps cushion the Whitner who returned back home ot Ohio. The additions of Stevie Johnson and Brandon Lloyd give Colin Kaepernick more weapons on the edges. Draft wise Ward should contribute in some sub sets while pounder Hyde gets to watch under the wing of Frank Gore as he grows into the eventual bell cow role at HB.

OFFENSE
    Any conversation starts and stops with Kaepernick's ability to get it done down the stretch in games. The teams flourished when he was performing at a high level, see the playoff runs, and fallen short when he has missed the mark, see the game ending drives in the 2013 SB and last year's NFC CG. Colin's received his payday, 7 years up to $126 million total payout, so he needs to show the team invested wisely. For a little insurance the team bought in Blaine Gabbert and Josh Johnson to compete with McLeod Bethel-Thompson for the right to hold the clipboard. Johnson's athleticism and past with Harbaugh likely gives him the edge over the Jacksonville bust Gabbert and untested MBT. Will the team carry more than two signal callers is likely the biggest question.
    The pecking order at running back is a little more interesting as this may be the deepest unit on the team and perhaps the deepest in the league, as franchise workhorse Frank Gore returns to pound the rock for his 10th NFL season. After Gore it gets interesting as the team went out and drafted Carlos Hyde in the second round to be the heir apparent thumper. Gore has one year left so the team will look to test out Hyde while also seeing what they have in second year pro Marcus Lattimore, who redshirted last season. This trio does not possess great speed so look for Lamichael James to be the change of pace/ third down back. Also look for James to contribute on special teams a return man.
    The pass catchers on this team should allow Kaepernick plenty of options and some variety on all levels in the passing game. Led by WRs Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree and TE Vernon Davis the Niners will likely spread things out a little more to take some of the pressure off the running game. Boldin continues to impress with his ability to just get open and move the chains while a healthy Crabtree looks to further develop into a dominant threat as he enters the final year of his rookie deal. Davis will be looked to again force teams to account for him in the middle of the field. The additions from Buffalo of Stevie Johnson and draftee Bruce Ellington will add some additional threats to the vertical passing game. With this group the team will have to decide where they draw the line with the number of players retained as the team also has veterans: Brandon Lloyd, Kassim Osgood, Jonathan Baldwin and second year player Quinton Patton fighting for roster spots.
    It all starts up with perennial All-Pro Joe Thomas at left tackle, bookend tackle Anthony Davis and the other returning line starters. While the main pressure rests on Kaep's shoulder, the offensive line has the responsibility to keep the franchise QB upright and lanes open for the run game. There has been some rumblings about an influx of youth in the interior of the line with the drafting of guard Brandon Thomas and center Marcus Martin. Look for the youngsters to press the vets for time.

DEFENSE

The starting defensive ends Ray McDonald and Justin Smith will likely have to pick up some of the slack as Glenn Dorsey is likely lost for the season with an arm injury. Expect Ian Williams to step into the starting lineup initially but there has been some talk that McDonald could see some time there with the offseason talk that second year end Tank Carradine showing some ability to make plays and provide some pass rush.
    The Niners linebacking corps has been called by many the best in the game as it features playmakers Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith. Bowman is returning from injury so his availability to start the season is in question. Should he not be ready look for the team to access its depth at the position and turn to either Michael Wilhoite or Chris Borland in the middle. There's some speculation that Brooks could slide inside to allow backup Corey Lemonier to see the field.
    The secondary is the biggest question mark entering this season with the losses noted above. Time will tell if the personnel decisions were correct and if the combination of Tramaine Brock, Chris Cook and Chris Culliver can meet the lofty bar set by the previous corners. Rookies Kenneth Acker and Keith Reaser could surprise and press for time by seasons end. Bethea will succeed Whitner alongside second year standout Eric Reid as the starting strong safety. The team drafted Jimmie Ward to eventually man that spot and utilize his promising athleticism and versatility.
    OUTLOOK
    The past three years have the San Fran fans and front office saying Super Bowl or bust. However the team's early season injuries and free agent losses on defense when combined with the fact that it plays in the toughest division in football has some experts wondering if a stumble could be on the horizon. If Kaep steps up and the defense can play as solid as in years past a playoff birth is within reach.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

San Diego Chargers 2014 Season Preview (TMFL Season 1):

With the arrival of new owner Danny Ski there has been a lot of buzz in SD this off-season. Some have speculated the financial mogul would seek to relocate the team but as a fan of the organization Ski has assured the fans that SD would stay put. He has already began upgrading the stadium and is pursuing opportunities for a new stadium in SD if possible (not sure if new stadiums in the same city are an option in CFM...).

Danny Ski and second year HC Mike McCoy appear to have a solid relationship and McCoy apparently is not concerned about Ski's interest in being "Jerry Jones" involved with the ball club.

After a solid bounce-back year for Phillip Rivers the bolts come into the 2014 season with all the confidence in the world with their signal caller. McCoy stated that he foresees Rivers in powder blue and yellow for many years to come. And building off a solid season Rivers will gain even more offensive weapons to begin this season. Malcolm Floyd has had a miraculous come-back after the serious neck injury last season and he seems to have picked up where he left off with Rivers prior to his injury. Offensive rookie of the year Keenan Allen is also looking spry this off-season and will remain Rivers' top offensive target again. The TE position is also very solid in SD which boasts of the long-time veteran star Antonio Gates and up and coming breakout performer Ladarius Green. The Charges plan on working both of these TE's into the game plan but the new Owner Ski has indicated his preference in going with the hot hand. Danny Ski stated that ; "We don't want to find ourselves in the situation where we are stubbornly stuck on a veteran guy when the future is right in front of our noses and needs to get the necessary reps to improve."

With all the talk about the receiving weapons it may appear that this is a primarily passing offense but this is just not the case. With the addition of Donald Brown to the backfield, the Chargers have arguably the deepest backfield in the NFL. Ryan Matthews put together an impressive season in 2013 and the second half the season was all about ball control offense in SD. And Matthews was a big part of that but when he got banged up in the divisional round of the playoffs HC Mike McCoy realized we needed depth at the position in case of a Matthews injury (hence, the Donald Brown acquisition from the Colts). And if you add 2013 break-out star Danny Woodhead to the mix you have a solid trio to lean on to control the clock and keep defenses on their toes. Woodhead functions as an additional receiver out of the backfield and has the ability to run numerous routes and has great hands and quickness to be an excellent option for Rivers.

On the defensive side of the ball the Chargers have improved greatly in the off-season. admittedly defense was the Chargers' weakness last season and with QB's like Peyton Manning and Alex Smith in the division the Chargers proved to have a major deficiency in their secondary. Sure they have one of the best safeties in the league in Eric Weddle but outside of Weddle the Chargers were weak in the secondary. The Chargers picked the explosive DB Jason Varrett with their first pick in the draft and he will start the season as the Chargers Nickle back to give him time to progress before moving into the 2 spot. The late offseason acquisition of Brandon Flowers is a huge improvement to add to the secondary and he will immediately move into the #1 cb position to shutdown the likes of Demarius Thomas, Dwayne Bowe, and.... Who is the threat in Oakland again??

The Chargers are also happy with how their interior defense looks this season with great pass rushing LB's and Ends who will hopefully put pressure on opposing QB's. With Dwight Freeny healthy, Melvin Ingram, and Rookie Jeremiah Attaochu rushing the edge at OLB and Corey Liuget and Kendall Reyes at DE the Chargers should be able to cause many uneasy opposing QB's. Not to mention MLB's Teo and Butler to stop the run and it appears Chargers have all the talent on paper to be a top 12 defense this season.

After making it to the playoffs and winning on the road last season the Chargers have a lot of pressure to improve and it won't be easy in a division with Kidofcrash and Mboda but both McCoy and Ski are hopeful that if they play smart, patient, balanced football that they have a shot to making it to the playoffs again this season.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Preview

[​IMG]

Quarterback
    Big Ben will head this time yet again as he is now an old vet in the league. With his toughness and strong arm, the Steelers will look to Ben as their starter until he decides to hang it up. Hopefully after one last superbowl victory. Steelers believe they do not have their future QB on their roster yet and will be looking to acquire one via the draft first, trade or free agency second.

Runningback
    The Steelers will look to Le'veon Bell as their go to guy on most downs, with Blount and Dre Archer coming in to relieve Bell. Archer adds a dynamic option to the offense with his blazing speed. The Steelers plan to line him up at WR and do some joker things with him to try to get him in the open field. Steelers are confident in their backfield.

Widereceiver/Tight End
    Antonio Brown will be Ben's go to guy on offense via the air. His catch in traffic abilities and speed is something the Steelers will look to often. Look for Wheaton to be a play maker as well opposite Brown. He's a little faster and will look to spread the defense down field some. Lance Moore, Heyward-bey and rookie Bryant will fight for the slot and will rotate throughout the season until one of them break out. Tight End Heath Miller will be solid for us. Not a speed demon but catches everything in his sights and will be a nice security blanket for Ben.

O-Line / D-Line
    Offensive line seems pretty good on paper. We will have to see how they workout on the field. Headed by leader C Markice Pouncey, we will look to get Bell 1,000 yards rushing this season and that will be one of our main goals as we focus on the rushing attack. D-Line is a work in progress. Look for rookie DE from ND Tuitt to crack the starting lineup week 1. He's a physical beast and will be a good pair with the other DE from the OSU, Cam Heyward.

Linebacker
    One of the strongest positions on both sides of defense is their LB core. Rookie Ryan Shazier looks to be a real difference maker in the MLB role with Timmons. They are 2 of the fastest MLB pairs in the league. On the outside you have second year player Jarvis Jones from UGA and Jason Worilds who finally has the opportunity to start. A couple decent backups will provide breathers , but look for these linebackers to be the difference on defense.

Secondary
    With the days of Troy Polomalu numbered, this secondary isn't getting any younger. New addition Mike Mitchell at FS will help, but the cornerbacks are nothing to get excited about. We will look to make an immediate impact in the secondary through the draft, trade or free agency, where ever we see an opportunity, we will jump on it.

Predicted record: 8-8 Missing playoffs o_O