S1 W11 - Contender or Pretender

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by majesty95, Oct 19, 2012.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

[​IMG]

Contender or Pretender

Each week we will pick two owners and highlight one team or one player. The two owners will then debate in this thread whether that team or player is a contender or a pretender.

Please no comments other than those from the selected owners. However, you may "like"their posts.

This week's debate will be:

[​IMG]

After beginning the season 0-3, are the New Orleans Saints a legitimate contender for the playoffs?​

This week's owners selected to debate are:

Be honest. Be opinionated. Keep it clean.

Go!

• Like Like x 1
  2. LLCoolGrey

LLCoolGrey Walk On

My first time debating...but i don't think anybody can ever call WHO DAT a pretender. 0-3 teams still have an entire season ahead of them.

Any owner with Brees, Jimmy Graham, Spoiles and that passing attack has a shot. As long as that defense settles down, i don't see how they can't be taken seriously. If they make the playoffs all bets are off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

Might want to take a look at the Saints roster again ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. majesty95

Ya LLCoolGrey you missed the mega trade of Brees, Sproles and Will Smith to Chicago for Jay Cutler and Matt Forte earlier in the season. However, I think your point is still the same. The Saints offense should be a threat in every game.

Ninersfan80 why are the Saints a pretender?

5. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

I honestly don't think they are a pretender. They are tied for 1st in their division with the Panthers. They only lost to the Panthers by 3 in their first meeting. They still have a game to go against one another. They have also won 5 out of their last 6 games so they are hot right now, one of those games being against the 7-2 Packers (Who beat me) so I would say there is no reason once so ever that they would be a pretender at this point.

Only down side they have is Jay Cutler is erratic some times

• Like Like x 1
  6. majesty95

You didn't want to take the opposite side just for arguments sake? lol. We need a Skip Bayless in here. Hahahaha

7. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

I really can't come up with any reason they aren't contenders. Maybe it could change next week when I face him but we will see. Lol. Sorry I am no fun.

8. majesty95

Lol. I'll play along like Dana or Jay would on First Take in the old days. :p

I think Cutler is a great reason why the Saints fans have reason for concern. Although he's played well this season, he's always a turned ankle or a missed block from turning back into the little kid pouting in the corner. I think the fact that the Saints are tied for last in the league by allowing a 100% scoring success rate when their opponents reach the red zone is troubling as well. Let's also not forget that they are a -7 in turnovers this season too.

Let's also not forget that the Saints' last four wins have come against teams who are a combined 11-28 and that they got slapped around by Philly at home 34-7 just two weeks ago.

They certainly seem to have righted the ship and are on the right track, but there are still plenty of questions to be answered before they are crowned in the NFC South.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  9. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

Well stat man, I didn't look at all the stats except number of wins and losses and where they are at in the standings. You play to win the game. Doesn't matter what the stats say as long as you win. And they have more wins then losses and are tied for first in the standings so there is no reason to be a pretender. If they can beat the Packers then they can beat anyone. Any given Sunday.

10. majesty95

That's a good point but the Packers lost to Indy who is 3-6...

11. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

Saints also only lost the undefeated Chiefs by a few points

12. majesty95

LLCoolGrey The Saints remaining schedule after this week is:

49ers (8-2)
    @Falcons (5-5)
    @Giants (4-6)
    Buccaneers (0-9)
    @Cowboys (8-1)
    Panthers (5-4)

There is at least two losses in there and possibly as many as 3-4. Can this team make the playoffs with 8-9 wins?

13. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

They will most certainly beat the 49ers, they suck.

• Like Like x 1