S1 W13 Bengals vs Chargers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by DU55, Oct 30, 2012.

1. DU55

DU55 Walk On

[​IMG]
    WEEK 13 AFC MATCH UP
    AFC NORTH VS AFC WEST

[​IMG]

The Bengals traveled to what was "suppose" to be sunny San Diego only to find it pee pouring the rain. This game would be a important one as both teams are right in the midst of the playoff hunt. The Chargers enter this game at 7-4 and 2nd in the AFC West while the Bengals also are 2nd in their division at 8-3.

The Bengals came out and were able to move the ball fairly well from the get go. On the opening drive the Bengals were able to punch it in the endzone with their goal line back BJGE after a relatively quick drive down the field. After this initial score both teams really played excellent defense throughout the quarter as the only other points that were scored in the 1st were from a Mike Nugent 41 yard field goal to give the Bengals the lead by 10.

The second quarter was again a defensive battle as neither team found the endzone the entire quarter. The Chargers put together two very nice drives that seen them in the redzone, but were unable to capitalize on either of them and had to settle for 2 FGs. The halftime score was Bengals 10 Chargers 6.

In the 3rd quarter both teams had pretty well figured out the game plans of their opposition, and it became evident when neither team was able to do anything on offense. The lone score of the quarter came on a flag route by "Young Baby Hawk" Andrew Hawkins midway through the quarter. Bengals signal caller Andy Dalton threw into a VERY tight spot for what could of easily of been a Charger interception, but instead was a Bengal TD. End of the 3rd score was Bengals 17 Chargers 6.

The fourth seen the Chargers attempt to rally as they put together their best drive of the game and were able to find the endzone for their lone TD of the game. Phillip Rivers found RB Ryan Mathews all alone in the flats on the goal line and he walked in untouched to make the score a manageable 17-13. When the Bengals needed to come through, they did. They were able to increase their lead twice by adding field goals to stretch the score out to a 2 possession game, 23-13. Good defense and bend but don't break mentality seen the Bengals maintain this lead until the final buzzer. The Bengals are now 9-3 while the Chargers are still a respectable 7-5.

FINAL SCORE
    [​IMG]23
    [​IMG]13

PLAYER OF THE GAME
    ANDY DALTON
    25 COMPLETIONS FOR 238 YARDS AND 2 TDS, NO INTERCEPTIONS
    [​IMG]

gg Danny and it was a pleasure talking to you during the game. A++ guy.

2. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

The difference in this game was the turnover differential -4, not to mention the propensity for dropped balls for the Chargers receivers (one end-zone drop!)... Of course Rivers threw some picks (3) that killed the Bolts which is not new this season... On the other side, Dalton had a great day but could very well have been the opposite if the Chargers secondary would have caught the interception opportunities that they had (I know, woulda, coulda, shoulda). However, in the rain these things are unpredictable and Rivers needs to really work on his decision making because he has been prone to turnovers all year! Also, Ryan Matthews ran the ball exceptionally well for 115 yards (6.8 ypc) against the best rush defense they have faced yet, but once again fumbled and gave the Bengals a short field and easy points...

The Chargers defense had some solid goal-line stands to force fg's and keep the bolts in the game but when it came down to it they couldn't stop the elite WR A.J. Green on third down (even with double team!) and failed to give the offense one last attempt to tie the game. The Bengals are a solid team and have sweeped the AFC
    West and have made a case that the AFC North just might be the best division in the NFL after-all... gg DU55. I also enjoyed talking to you during the game. I am pretty much certain that you will find a place in the playoffs, I just hope I will be seeing you there as well.

3. DU55

DU55 Walk On

You are 100% right about the turnovers. Your guys did drop 3 that very easily could of been interceptions, plus the TD to Hawkins that I still don't know how he caught it and not your DB.

• Like Like x 1