S1 Week 4: Saints @ Green Bay

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by CWT 3000, Sep 28, 2012.

1. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Saints 45

Packers 28 F

Green Bay fumbles away game in powerhouse match-up.

1Q
    Saints recieved the ball first... NO came out and wanted to show they could run the ball and were not a one trick pony. On the 2nd play of the game Brees handed off to P. Thomas on a nice draw and caught GB napping. Thomas took the handoff the distance for an early 7-0 score. GB took control and started their first drive with an early interception by Patrick Robinson- who returned it for a TD! I believe GB would tack on a TD late in the 1Q to make it 14-7.

2Q
    The game is starting to take some shape after GB settled down and put together some nice long drives keeping Brees & Co. off the field. The only problem for GB was the long drives were ending with bone jarring hits from Lofton or Hawthorne, and GB was putting the ball on the turf more times than you can shake a stick at. Starks & Benson have horrible Carry Ratings and it seemed as they tired out, they'd fumble the ball on a big hit. On a side note: dakota7 didn't cover up the ball much and so guys were getting tagged standing up-right. Definetly cover up and brace against tackles more often. Too many times the GB player would fight for extra yards- only for Hawthorne to go head hunting. He's a beast and I have no control over what he does *play at your own risk*
    NO on the first 2 fumbles coudn't do anything offensivley and actually lost momentum witha pair of three and outs. The Saints Defense was tired and GB finally tied it up 14-14 late 2nd quarter. The Saints would score near the end of the half to make it 21-14 HALFTIME. NO got on the board due to anothe GB turnover that killed a drive near the end of the first half. Saints captilized and carried the momentum into the 3Q.

3Q
    GB came out and continued to chew up the clock on short passing routes. Rodgers had GB in scoring position, but a costly fumble *again* by I think Cobb who got tagged fighting for a few more yards. NO coudn't do anythng with the possesion and punted away to GB. At this point NO was playing a lot of coverage, but A-Rodg was disecting my defense. Near the end of the 3rd I changed our defensive plan of attack to "harass the shit out of Rodgers!" This seemed to work as I began bringing different looking blitzes against the pass and brought LB's more trying to anticipate the snap. This paid off dearly for NO who had lost all momentum and GB had been moving the ball at will. GB dominated TOP, but the scrappy NO defense turned it around on a blind side hit of Rodgers who put the ball on the ground giving GB a 2nd and very long. Rodgers would force a throw and NO would pick it off. End of the 3rd Q.

4Q
    NO would strike early in the 4Q after both teams were shut out in the 3rd Q. The score 28-14 would quickly shrink to 28-21 on a Starks draw run. My defense just stood there! NO would start to gain more momentum on offense and eventaully scored again after a A-Rodg pick. Brees found Colston on a deep route wide open to make it 35-21. GB would continue to throw picks and in turn the lead for NO would grow. One interception was crazy... I believe it was either Jennings or Finley who went over the middle. Lofton laid a huge hit as the WR attempted the catch and dropped the ball and my CB White scooped the ball up just before it hit the ground for a cheap Int.

In the end GB just couldn't keep the ball long enough to score and were done in by TO's. They controlled the TOP and NO figured out how to slow GB in the nick of time. The fumbles were excessive and I don't think I've ever had a team end up with 5 FF and 4 ints. in a single game. GB needs to work on running more draws out of shotgun, and then use more playfakes from the Gun. It became evident when they were running and passing out of certain formations. I think if they made us think a little more about the run on pass plays it'd be a different write up completely. Then add some screens and teams won't be able to commit to the pass coverage. GG Dakota7.

Player of the Game:
    D. Brees- He was efficient and threw 4 TD's with no turnovers

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

So you say MORE draws?? Everyone else in this league is saying fewer draws!! I'm so confused...lol:D That Starks TD run was actually a 45 Base and not a draw, but whatever. The first turnover that you returned for a touchdown I thought was a fumble recovery. Nelson had the ball, so maybe it went in and out of his hands and into Robinsons? I know I had possession of the ball with Nelson before the turnover. That game was crazy, obviously I don't RB it very often to cover up, but I never had a game like that. It was like NFL Blitz or something....every Big Hit forced a fumble. You said in your write up the LBs were timing the snap, is that a gameplan adjustment or something? If so, how do you do it? And the score was actually tied at 21 in the third quarter and I had a nice drive, almost in the red zone before there was another fumble. I can't remember who it was...there were so many. Good game, I felt like despite the early lead I gave you a pretty good fight.

3. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Just like anything else... use it, but don't abuse it.