S1 Wk11

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Coachmedicis, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Coachmedicis

Coachmedicis Walk On

North Texas upsets #6 UTEP

It was the game of the year in Conference USA as UNT (who hasn't lost a conference game in which they played - 2 sim losses) vs undefeated and #6 ranked UTEP.

Game was back and forth all the way as UTEP took the opening score and did what they had done all year, drove the field and scored as RB Jeffery scored from 7 yards out to make it 7-0 UTEP. But it didn't last long as North Texas goes the length of the field in 3 plays and scores on a Pegram 1 yd TD run to tie the game at 7. After a punt by UTEP (only one by either team all game), North Texas scored again, this time on 2 plays as Brock Berglund hit hit Lynrick Pleasant on the slant pattern and he turned it into a 74 yard gain. Pegram scored from 1 yard again and gave UNT the 14-7 lead. UTEP responded and their workhouse, Jeffery, put home another short run to tie the game at 14. North Texas answered with a long drive of their own, nearing 4 minutes as they kick a 20 yard fg as time expires to give the Mean Green a 17-14 lead going into the locker room.

2nd half was identical to the first as the teams went blow for blow. North Texas used some timely passing by Berglund who finished a perfect 8-8 for 224 yards to convert some tough 3rd downs. Pegram scored again from 1 yard out for his 3 TD of the game and UNT took a 24-14 lead that would last all the way into the 4th quarter. Price kicked a 19 yard field goal to put UTEP with 7 at 24-17. North Texas responded by taking 3 minutes off the clock and a Zack Olen 42 yard FG to regain a 10 point lead with only 3:40 to go. UTEP responded by shredding the UNT zone and scoring in 1 minute and 15 seconds when Perry caught a 4 yard out patern from Showers. UNT 27-24 with just under 2 and a half minutes to go.

First play after the kickoff Berglund takes the keeper 56 yard and seemlingly setting up the victory for UNT. Not so fast....as UTEP uses their time outs to set up a 4th and inches at the UTEP 17 yard line with 1 minute to go. A field goal makes the lead only 6 with a minute to go and UTEP just shredded the UNT defense last drive. Coach Medicis decides to roll the dice, and try and pick up the yard to put the game away. A perfectly timed blitz by the MLB stops Pegram in the backfield with just under a minute left though. UTEP ball down 3. However, today was a day for the Mean Green as Showers first pass was picked off by Freddie Warner. As time expired the students rushed the field. It was party time in Denton, Texas as North Texas had knocked off #6 UTEP 27-24.

UTEP will still win C-USA West as the 2 sim losses will end up really hurting UNT. North Texas moves to 7-3 on the year, 4-2 in conference while UTEP falls to 8-1 and 4-1 in C-USA.

North Texas has a bye week next week so the students can enjoy this one. They return in 2 weeks for Senior Night against UTSA who is currently 1-8 on the year.

Great game Javier24 . I look forward to playing some rivalry games against u over the coming years and enjoying a close game against some one who plays a straight up game like myself.

Snake Eyez game played much better with the lower time. I think we found a good spot. Even with me running some no huddle, I didn't feel like the game dragged on forever and we ended with a reasonable score.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Javier24

Javier24 Walk On

Great game coach. We look forward to hosting you next year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Coachmedicis

Coachmedicis Walk On

Agreed....u took all the recruits, I took game 1....rivalry born.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snake Eyez

Snake Eyez Walk On

Thanks for the great write-up, and the feedback on the qtr length. I was afraid that the new patch might screw up the balance of our game settings in some way, but everything seems to be playing a bit better if nothing else imo.

Also, Javier is a solid player that I've been playing football video games with since we were in grade school together.... I'm glad that you appreciate playing someone who plays some "real" style of football, because we've been preaching that stuff in our own circle for years if not decades... lol.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Coachmedicis

Coachmedicis Walk On

He's very good....enjoyed our game. Is he joining symposium? Would be a solid owner to add to our league....quarter length was good as well.

Last thing, any ideas to increase participation in this league?? Its dead in here.

6. Javier24

Javier24 Walk On

I'm on the waiting list for symposium. Yah I saw no probs with quarter length. We ended up with realistic stats.

7. Javier24

Javier24 Walk On

It's approaching a decade

8. Snake Eyez

Snake Eyez Walk On

The lack of activity is my fault, really. I haven't been pushing people to be active in regards to summaries or anything... and I tend to look at the glass half empty, so when Madden drops next week, it will be a challenge to change that.

Still... I'll try to shape us up for season 2.

9. Snake Eyez

Snake Eyez Walk On

I think it's more like two decades.... tecmo super bowl was an epic experience in it's own right... we're talking the FIRST game of any kind that tracked season stats and had all of the teams.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Coachmedicis

Coachmedicis Walk On

Javier24 u know u were offered the dallas cowboys??

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snake Eyez

Snake Eyez Walk On

He can't stand the Cowboys... hard for me to disagree with him. lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. Coachmedicis

Coachmedicis Walk On

True....neither can I!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Javier24

Javier24 Walk On

Yah I thought about it, but I couldn't do it. My hatred for Jerry Jones/Tony Romo runs deep.

14. Coachmedicis

Coachmedicis Walk On

Hahaha I dont blame u.

• Like Like x 1