(S14) Welcome to TFS!

Discussion in 'TSL C' started by Frenchie1916, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frenchie1916

Frenchie1916 Just a clodhopper of footballer, running pell mell

First, I apologize for the long message, but there are a lot of you here, and a mix of newcomers to the league, the site, and/or the console. The vast majority of you will start in Serie C, a few in Serie B and a few more on the waitlist, eagerly awaiting your chance at glory.

I know a number of you played in the interim PS4 league last season, so this is just a primer. But here’s the official welcome message just so nobody can claim ignorance of the rules later on.

Welcome to TFS! Some of you have been around for a while, and others are newcomers to Tradition Sports Online. We are shortly going to begin our 14th season, and our first on the next-generation console. There are obviously questions each of us has about how the game will play, so we’ll have to wait until we can get some hours of gameplay in to answer some of those.

But in the meantime, the best thing you can do (for those who haven’t) is to start friending fellow league members on the PSN. Now that the game has dropped, get as many friendlies in as you can so you're familiar with our rules and expectations before the new season starts in early October. So the next thing to do is get everyone's PSN names (which can be found here: http://traditionsportsonline.com/threads/tfs-member-list.58576/ ) and send out friend requests like it's your job. We'll have a draft before the next season, and you can select any 4* team in the game (not an international, it must be a club) that hasn't been taken by another player. There will be a LOT of discussion about the draft, so keep your eyes on the boards. some has already begun, courtesy of Friz here: http://traditionsportsonline.com/threads/frizs-draft-team-talk.112678/#post-1569034

Now, on to gameplay and rules, the heart of what makes our league different: http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/new-and-returning-members-friendlies.92265/

It spells out expectations and guidelines, as well as providing links to FAQs, Rules & Regs and the like. Ignorance of the rules won't be an excuse - we expect you to know and abide by the TFS guidelines and what we consider to be SIM play, and avoid high-pressure tactics we've all come here to avoid.

Most of you will be coming into Serie C, the third tier of the league, or be on the waitlist for the same. If someone drops out during the season, they will be replaced by those on the waitlist. The newcomer will have the option of selecting a new team or keeping the same team as the vacating owner, but will have to replay any matches that have already been played so as to start from scratch.

I am the commissioner of the bottom division, so I handle all newcomers to the league. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask myself, RedAL925 (TFS and Serie A Commissioner) Zikry (Serie B Commissioner), the three commissioners. And there are a number of great guys in this league who have been here a long time who will do whatever they can to ease your transition to our Sim style of play.

In the meantime, please sign up for Twitter if you haven’t already and create your account as @TFS_(username) and follow @TFSerie. We are going to STRONGLY RECOMMEND Twitch broadcasting of matches this season, which will allow other league members to scout opponents and the commissioners to monitor gameplay.

Here is the link to the FAQ: http://traditionsportsonline.com/threads/faq-twitch-streaming.111643/

And the specifics about actually making sure videos are saved:

• Will my streams be saved automatically?
    • Not by default. This one is very important. By default the Twitch settings will only stream your gameplay. Unless you update your settings once you are done streaming everything you did will go away. In order to have your streams saved and create highlights, you MUST go to your settings on the Twitch website. Under your username --> Settings --> Channels and Video --> Check the box to "Automatically archive my broadcasts." This will allow you to view your saved video after you stop streaming.

• Where can I find my videos once they are archived?
    • When logged into the Twitch website, on the left toolbar go to your profile. Then from the tabs available, go to past broadcasts. Any archived videos will be in here.

• Now that I have my stream archived, can I access it any time after that?
    • Once again, not by default. If the only thing you have done is check the box to "Automatically archive my broadcasts" this will save your video for a few days. Exact time seems to vary. So you have some time to work with it, but it will not stay forever. Twitch has removed the option to save past broadcasts forever, so in order to save your broadcast you will have to save it as a highlight.
    • How do I create a highlight?
    • Go back to your past broadcasts, and in the options icon below the video (looks like a gear) you will find the option to "Highlight." Now you merely need to choose the start and end times of your highlight and click Publish. Highlights have a maximum time of 2 hours. It is possible to save your entire broadcast as a highlight.
    Also, the Tapatalk app on Apple devices will allow for quick communication through these forums, the GroupMe chat app will allow for group discussion of league-wide events and on-field real-world soccer discussion, and the PlayStation app will allow for the faster sending of PSN messages than using the PlayStation controller.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away - the Serie C Discussion thread or the main league discussion thread are great places to post any questions or you can send me, RedAl925 or Zikry a PM.

Again, welcome aboard!

abolishthefed
    BigBeansMcGee
    John O'Connor
    PhiGuy179
    flyersphan20
    Calhockey10
    Blaza
    Lou
    hedache
    Lions67
    KnightNoles
    munichfan40
    Caleb Clark
    MoonBBad
    Spayer419
    CTfromDC
    jonathann0222
    CoachRuss
    Andanas
    Akshat Singhal

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Frenchie1916 - I had to update my Twitch FAQ, Twitch took away the option to "Save Forever" on past broadcasts, so now to keep them forever we need to save them as highlights. Copied the below from my updated FAQ

Now that I have my stream archived, can I access it any time after that?
    Once again, not by default. If the only thing you have done is check the box to "Automatically archive my broadcasts" this will save your video for a few days. Exact time seems to vary. So you have some time to work with it, but it will not stay forever. Twitch has removed the option to save past broadcasts forever, so in order to save your broadcast you will have to save it as a highlight.

How do I create a highlight?
    Go back to your past broadcasts, and in the options icon below the video (looks like a gear) you will find the option to "Highlight." Now you merely need to choose the start and end times of your highlight and click Publish. Highlights have a maximum time of 2 hours. It is possible to save your entire broadcast as a highlight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Caleb Clark

Caleb Clark Walk On

Nice, looking forward to getting some friendlies in in the near future and the start of the league!

4. hedache

hedache Walk On

Does it help us in any way if we tell you how awesome of a welcome that was and other good things Frenchie1916 ? :)
    So can we assume we're all in Serie C since we're tagged in here? Is this the class of 15?

5. Frenchie1916

Thanks, man. Updated

6. Frenchie1916

No, not all of you are in Serie C. We're working out the logistics as we speak. There are still guys working out their participation in the upcoming season, and we've had one or two guys drop out, so spaces have opened up. But everyone tagged here is either a newcomer to the league (the interim PS4 league with FIFA 14 not being official), or a returnee after a long absence. There will be a few on the list who will get bumped up to Serie B by virtue of their game play (either in the interim PS4 league, friendlies in between, TF United, or some combination thereof), participation in the forums, etc.

This is more of a primer on rules, since only a very few tagged here have played in the league in an official capacity in the past.

7. John O'Connor

John O'Connor Walk On

I'm still new to online FIFA and I'm not looking to ruin anybody's fun.

Are there unwritten rules we should know about? Things in particular that set off other TFS users that we should avoid doing? I assume this message board will be a good place to track glitches and/or issues with gameplay?

8. hedache

hedache Walk On

Read all the links posted on top post, everything's very written. Not just the top post, follow the links and learn the details of what to and not to do. I know reading shit sucks, but at least someone took the time to write it :)

9. John O'Connor

John O'Connor Walk On

Yes, I followed the links and read them. But I've also seen references on this forum to things that seem to be online no-nos without explicitly saying why. One post mentioned abusing crosses. I just got my PS4 and haven't played enough FIFA online to know what that means.

I guess to make my request more explicit: Please be as explicit as possible about dos and don't, even if that means repeating yourself now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  10. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Excessive crossing means don't let every play be a cross.. Change up offensive tactics up.

11. Frenchie1916

The short, short version is this:
    1. don't press in your opponent's third of the pitch when his defenders or keeper has the ball and he is beginning his attack up the field. You can begin to stiffen your defense at about the center circle and do whatever you need to do defensively in your own half. There are some exceptions and we will surely have ad nauseam discussions about them as the season goes on.
    2. Switch up your attack. Streak down the line. Reach End Line. Cross. Repeat. BORING. Boring for you. Boring for your opponent. Look for through balls, pass through the middle. Draw his defense out. Crosses aren't (obviously) outlawed, but they shouldn't be a primary form of attack unless you have an obvious target in the box. If you're just lobbing crosses into a pack in the box and praying your guy gets his head to it, you're going to be known as the guy who can't find a real attack and relies on less-than-savory means to compensate.
    3. The game, as with all video games, allows for cheats, glitches, and tactics that are a) unrealistic b) not at all fun for either the perpetrator or the victim. Don't take advantage of these. In the words of Go Devils , don't be a dick.

Play a few friendlies and you'll pick up what's kosher in a hurry. You'll see when guys back off and when they don't. You'll see when guys give the ball back to you after a bad tackle and when they don't. Some play more on the edge of the rules, some play with more courtesy. But play RedAL925 and Zikry and Broncos218 and Friz and CxMacx10 and BESHIKTAS and hokie79 and krtgolfing and yes, even me (you'll likely get a win there). We have different styles and slightly different interpretations of the rules, but you'll see pretty quickly what the league is about.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Someone is in a good mood this week.. Even though Liverpool looks just awful!

13. John O'Connor

John O'Connor Walk On

Done and done.

14. Frenchie1916

1. Fuck off. (y) We get to beat up on Middlesborough in the Capital One Cup in a half hour to regain some confidence.
    2. It's FIFA day. It's better than Christmas! I place today as being better than my wedding, but not quite as good as the birth of my daughters. And it comes every year. How great is that?!?!?

• Like Like x 3
  15. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

I am a liverpool fan myself.. No need for the hate!!! I was there in Charlotte for that match!! Ready to get off work so I can play. Picked it up on my lunch hour!!

16. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

10521374_10154452684200374_1835353324761919689_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to a great year of FIFA.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Thanks, for some reason TSO doesn't notify me of tags from this league, but TapTalk DID....Thx for the consideration, all rules read and understood, I remember gameplay from the PS3 lg, all good here. Finesse Kicks was the only question I had...other leagues I ran it before outlawed them because they were broken, I think Fifa 13 fixed it, just wanted to make sure that isn't frowned upon in this years game.

19. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

20. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

Ok to use, don't abuse

21. hedache

hedache Walk On

Even the pros abuse it. You see so many goals scored like that in the EPL. Ashley Young, Suarez, etc. And then the chip shot abuse by Sakho on Mignolet this past weekend. He should be banned :)

FYI, it's not abusable in manual controls. ;)

22. Darlon

Darlon Walk On

So this site is still running manual huh? There may be hope for me just yet.

23. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

You don't got to run manual, you can run semi (which I will be running).

24. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

How about camera angle? What is the preference for you guys? Also, how about tactics? How many of you guys do custom tactics vs just standard ones? Which ones, for those of you willing to share do you like?

25. Frenchie1916

Lads, make sure you have ALL seen and acknowledged the game settings we will require in this thread:
    http://traditionsportsonline.com/threads/game-settings-announcement-semi-assisted-controls.112754/

There will be NO excuse if anyone is found in violation of this rule. We play on a minimum of semi-assisted settings (you can go as manual as you like, but you can't go the other way). So please take a spin through this thread, acknowledge that you've read the rules so we're not fighting this fight in a couple weeks' time.

grassy ass!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.