S1W5 Summaries

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by TheNathanHolmes, Sep 23, 2014.

1. TheNathanHolmes

TheNathanHolmes Walk On

Same dealio, yo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheNathanHolmes

TheNathanHolmes Walk On

Week 5 Battle of the undefeateds. Arizona @ Denver, both teams 3-0 and coming off of their bye weeks. Rain game. The game started by Arizona driving down the field only to throw an interception on a sloppy pass. Denver then drives down to the 38 and throws a 62 yard touchdown to Julius Thomas. Arizona again gets the ball, drives down to the Denver 22 only to have Andre Ellington fumble the ball. Denver has it again. On 2nd & 3 Peyton throws to the left and gets PICKED OFF by Antonio Cromartie! Cro takes it back to the house 30 yards for the touchdown! Tied at 7 with 1:39 left in the 1st. Denver now gets the ball back, and tries to go deep after a 6 yard rush by Montee Ball, and the ball is taken away by Patrick Peterson! Arizona drives down to the Denver 37 only to be stopped by the tough run defense of the Broncos. David Akers boots a 54 yard field goal to put the Cardinals on top 10-7. After a pretty methodical drive down the field the Broncos are faced with a 3rd & 12 on the Arizona 30. Peyton throws to Emmanuel Sanders and he catches the pass for 16 yards and the first down. Montee Ball says, "I'll take it from here." and rushes 4 times in a row for 14 yards and a touchdown! Denver back on top 14-10 with 2:35 minutes to go in the half! Now the Cardinals, trying to score before the half, are faced with a 3rd & 11.. they dump it off to Ellington on the screen and he's stopped short, but wait, there's a face mask penalty on the defense! First down Cardinals! Now on the 50 yard line, Palmer drops back and bombs one deep to Larry Fitzgerald who is double covered, but who cares because Larry hauls it in and goes down at the 1 yard line of the Broncos. Now with 1:07 left in the half, Andre Ellington takes the pitch to the right and goes in for the 1 yard touchdown to make the score Arizona 17, Denver 10. Not so fast though, there's still 1:04 left for Peyton to work with. He hits Julius Thomas for another huge gain, 61 yards! But after a few incompletions the Broncos settle for a field goal as the quarter expires making it..
    17 - 17 Halftime.
    After the break, Denver gets to start off with the ball. After a long drive mixed with medium runs and short passes, the Broncos are held to a field goal from the Cardinals 16. The score is 20-17 Denver on top. Driving down the field with a mix of short passes to Niklas the tight end, and runs by both Ellington and Stepfan Taylor the Cardinals have a 2nd & 8 from the Denver 20. Palmer in the shotgun, sees Michael Floyd beat Talib in man to man coverage for the easy 20 yard touchdown pass. Cards up 24-17. with 0:06 in the 3rd quarter. 1st & 10 Denver, Manning gets sacked for a 10 yard loss. Now faced with a 2nd & 20, Peyton tries to hit Thomas going down the seam, but Deone Bucannon has a different idea and picks the ball off! The Cardinals could not get anything going though and have to settle for the field goal to make the score 27-20 Arizona. The Broncos have some catching up to do, so what do they do? Peyton throws another interception to Patrick Peterson! After a -2 yard run by Ellington and 2 passes thrown away by Carson Palmer, the Cardinals try to add to the lead with a 48 yard field goal, but the wind is too strong and knocks it down a yard short! No good. Now with 7 minutes to work with, and down 2 scores, Peyton gets back to work but is sacked 3 times and they have to punt. The Cardinals don't want the ball either so they go three and out and have to punt it right back. 3:33 left in the 4th quarter. Denver has the ball at their own 38. They get down to the Arizona 18 but are faced with a 3rd & 2 with :48 seconds left. Peyton drops back but can't find anyone open and is sacked for an 11 yard loss! It's now 4th and 13, down 7, from the Arizona 30 with :18 seconds left. Peyton sees Julius Thomas in the end zone and throws deep!..... but it's knocked away by Deone Bucannon! All it takes now is 1 rush by Andre Ellington to seal the game and gives the Cardinals the victory, and keeps the undefeated season alive.
    Final 27-20, Arizona.
    Cardinals 4-0, baby!

Good game Automatik. Hopefully I'll see you in the Super Bowl (y)

• Like Like x 6
  3. Mozaaik

Mozaaik Walk On

Saw the score last night, didn't wanna post anything until the summary went up but sounds like an exciting game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RaiderRed90

RaiderRed90 Rage Fiend

Brian are you gonna write a summary of our game? Don't wanna write one and have two for the same game lol

5. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Gg man. That game showed me how much i need to improve my pass rush, I think it's the second game this year that I didn't record a sack. Your defense is no joke.
    Good luck the rest of the season.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mozaaik

Mozaaik Walk On

Well, as expected the Browns fall again....

Up 7-6 with a minute to go before halftime, the Browns try to go 80 yards to increase their lead before the Titans get the ball back after the half, instead they go a quick three and out and punt the ball back to the Titans. The Titans easily get into field goal range and go into the break with the lead 9-7...

The Titans add onto their lead, until the Browns finally make a comeback in the fourth going up 17-16, before the Titans go into beast mode and quickly work their way up the field man handling the Browns the entire way. They get a TD with I think a minute and a half to go, and try for the two point conversion, miraculously the Browns are able to stop them, holding them to less than a TD lead.

Manziel struggles the entire way but the Browns up the field before finding Hawkins for 17 yards, but sadly gets stopped inches short of the TD with time expiring. Tried to call a timeout, but I was too slow I guess and the Titans overcome the Browns 22-17.

Not sure who's confidence is lower, my players or mine lol. I had some good stops on defense, but just couldn't stop the passing for the most part unless I got a sack. Also, I couldn't get much going on offense either, but my defense is killing me.

The Browns face off against the Steelers next week, and they haven't forgotten how that ended last time.

• Like Like x 4
  7. TheNathanHolmes

TheNathanHolmes Walk On

Sounds like a heartbreaker. I didn't watch your game obviously, but looking at the stats I'd say you need to take the game away from Manziel, 43 attempts is way too many. Even if you only gain a couple yards on runs it makes 3rd and 7 or less, much better than 3rd and 10 or longer.

Goodluck next week. F:finger:ck the Steelers!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mozaaik

Mozaaik Walk On

Yeah I keep trying to do the run game, but once I start trailing it gets hard to want to rely on it, especially when I'm losing yards most of the time.

I've never been a Madden pro, but damn am I struggling big time in this game. I'll definitely take your advice though and try not to lean on the pass so much.

9. TheNathanHolmes

TheNathanHolmes Walk On

I have to always tell myself not to abandon the run, especially in these long games we have in this league it's more than enough time to keep running the ball. Try mixing in draw plays, counters, inside and outside runs. What I like to do is run on first, and if I gain a good amount of yards I'll do it again. If I lose yards, I try running again because my opponents will usually think, "hey i stopped him, he won't try it again"

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hurricane GL

Hurricane GL Walk On

You can do it....I'm still depressed

• Like Like x 1
  11. Freakskull

Freakskull Lobsters are mermaids to scorpions.

Man, that sounds like an amazing game - I hate it when I cant call a time out in time. I usually do not have any left.

12. Mozaaik

Mozaaik Walk On

I checked the replay and the guy wasn't down yet when the clock expired, I just thought he was. I was trying to conserve my time outs, I knew I was going to need them. Usually I end up short too.

13. RFF

RFF Walk On

Sounds like you've had a couple narrow losses with a rebuilding CLE team. Rookie QBs aren't built for playoff/SB contention year 1, but this year will make you a better player as your talent develops. You're probably already better than I am, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Masterfocker

Masterfocker Walk On

Giants finally got another win! Hallelujah!

The Giants won a close game against the Atlanta Falcons, 41-31. It had an exciting beginning, and an even more exciting finish.

The Giants defense just could not stop the Falcon's passing or running attack. First down after first down after first down.

However, DRC, who was a gigantic help in the run game, picks off Matt Ryan twice on curl routes, bringing one to the house. Stevie Brown also had an INT on a bad pass, and that basically sealed the deal.

Stats:

Eli Manning: 21-26 312 yds. 3 TD 2 INT

Rashad Jennings: 23 rushes for 107 yards, 2 TD 1 fumble

A big portion of Jenning's yards came out of garbage time, in 1 big run.

Rob Housler
    : 6 rec. 122 yds. 0 TD

Rashad Jennings: 4 rec. 37 yds. 1 TD

ODB: 4 rec. 82 yds. 1 TD

Reuben Randle: 3 rec. 37 yds. 1 TD

Will Beatty
    : 2 pancakes

Geoff Schwartz: 1 pancake

Weston Richburg: 1 pancake

0 sacks allowed

DRC
    : 9 tackles 2 INT 1 TD

Jon Beason: 10 tackles 1 sack

Da'Monster Moore: 2 tackles 1 sack

Eli Manning was off to a rocky start; throwing 2 interceptions. However, he came back with a TD to a wide open Reuben Randle (Seriously, there was nobody within 20 yards of him), a contested but great catch by Odell Beckham Jr., and a quick catch in the middle to Rashad Jennings to gain the lead.

The Giants defense did nothing for 3.5 quarters, but finally decided to come alive. DRC got 2 picks, 1 for a TD to seal the game. Da'Monster Moore continues his sack streak, and even Stevie Brown had an easy INT.

Antrel Rolle, however, had a bad game. Not on paper, but looking back at it. He missed easy tackles. Aside from 1 pass breakup, he was bad in coverage. He just wasn't good. If he keeps this up, he may lose his starting job to an up-and-coming young player.

The Giants' passing game, and offense overall, still look like one of the best in the NFL, and their offensive ranking shows it (4th overall before I played the Falcons).

Their defense, however, is one of the worst, and gives up play after play. There's a reason The Giants' offense is one of the best, and it's because they always have to make it up.

This week was a step in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mozaaik

Mozaaik Walk On

Haha thanks for that but I doubt it! I'm still new to player vs player matches, and even though two of my losses have come from the CPU, I feel like I'm doing better each week. I planned on a losing season anyways, so I'm going to improve a lot next season especially with the developed players.

As long as I don't get kicked for sucking, I'll be here for awhile regardless lol.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Masterfocker

Masterfocker Walk On

Confidence will kick your ass in this game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Victorias5ecret

Victorias5ecret Walk On

Bucs 37 - Saints 49

Neither defense appeared to show up, despite the Saints finishing the game with 13 TFL, 7 sacks, and only letting the Bucs in the redone once, as the Bucs finished with 489 offensive yards and the Saints 516.

Saints received the kick and marched down the field until Jimmy Graham coughed up the ball on the Bucs 3-yard-line. Two plays later and the Saints would have the ball back thanks to a pick from Keenan Lewis. These would serve as the games only turnovers.

After that, the game was largely an offensive shootout. The Saints played excellent defense besides sidelining themselves every 3rd down to allow the Bucs an easy first down. The 8-16 3rd Down Conversion rate is misleading -- The Bucs made those 8 count. The first four scores by the Bucs were well outside of the redone, many of which were on 3rd down.

Really, I'm just pissed. I can't even write a good summary. My defense crushed them, but dropped a number of easy picks from McCown and gave up some big plays on 3rd down. What felt like every 3rd down, those assholes pulled a rabbit out of their ass and converted or scored. My committee approach run scheme worked well, so that's good.

I'm definitely butt-hurt about giving up 37 to the Bucs.

Oh well -- It's a W.

18. Mozaaik

Mozaaik Walk On

For sure. My game prep as of now consists of 35 hours of therapy for all players lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bills ball control deflates Lions 26-18

The Bills we very much in control of this game right from the get go but their inept offense and lack of big plays led to the Bills settling for field goals instead of touchdowns keeping the Lions close for much of the game. The Bills gave a steady dose of Bryce Brown and CJ Spiller, each notching 15 carries a piece but only totaling 88 yards of rushing on the day which was really a credit to the Lions front 7 and scheme of forcing EJ Manuel to beat them with his arm. And Manuel did JUST enough. The Bills offense was efficient all day, notching 16 first downs and finishing 10/17 on 3rd down keeping the offense moving the chains all day long and keeping the high powered Lions offense off the field. I don't have the stats but I believe the Bills out possessed the Lions 2:1 - if not even a wider gap.

The Lions were pretty much the exact opposite of the Bills. They carried the ball just 5 times compared to 36 pass attempts for Matthew Stafford. The big plays were there as well, a blown coverage by the safety resulted in a 62 yard TD to Calvin Johnson as he easily beat his single coverage without the safety there to help as well as a big catch and run by TE Eric Ebron on a post route where Ebron caught the pass for a big gain but the safety totally whiffed on the tackle resulting in a foot race down the left sideline which Ebron won resulting in a 63 yard TD. With the running game a non-factor however, the Bills were able to generate 4 interceptions by sitting back in coverage most of the day. Each team was successful in getting to the quarterback - both teams notched 3 sacks.

The game hinged on a final drive by the Lions after a fantastic stop by the Lions D, forcing a punt with about 3 minutes left to play and the score locked at 26-18. The Lions converted a key 4th down were moving the ball with ease, capitalizing on a poorly timed facemask call. Both coaches must have been thinking - okay - what are we going to do for the critical 2pt conversion. And just like that a final, fatal error by Matthew Stafford on a post route to Ebron - Kiko Alonso baited Stafford and jumped in front of the route to seal the win (user pick!) The Lions coach was quoted at the end of the game saying "If Matthew had just waited another second, Ebron was coming wide open. He just rushed the throw."

And there you have it. Are the Bills contenders now after suffering a sobering loss last week and knocking off a good Lions team this week? Its still too early to say I think. The defense has played well in spots but also gotten beaten badly at times. The offense is the real concern however - EJ Manuel just does not breed any sort of confidence despite the weapons at his disposal. The running game has been consistent but the lack of big plays on offense has to change if the Bills really want to play with the top teams in this league.

Great game RFF - hopefully many more of those to come. Really enjoyed playing and chatting. Thanks so much for your help with the league as well.

The stats
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. RFF

RFF Walk On

GG man. Still frustrated I played so poorly on offense and vs the pass, but at least I made it tight at the end. Got to cut down on my INTs. Stafford has thrown 10 picks this year so far, and 9 of them have come in just 2 games. I hate seeing the 36-5 pass-run split, but falling behind so early + Buffalo having the best front 7 in the game + your offense successfully burning so much time off the clock = I never felt like I could get in a run/pass rhythm. That might be the first game where I haven't had 30+ carries, or pretty close.

In a weird sort of way, I'm oddly glad the final pick was a bad decision and not another sailed pass.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

Lost a heart breaker last night to Pittsburgh 38-24 and the game was closer than the score indicates but just couldn't stop Antonio Brown or the ground game of Blount/Bell and our running game never got traction. Some positives did come from this game as Bortles looked good as well as our young receivers. The addition of Lache Seastrunk who we traded for this week will instantly become our starter next week and should give the running game a boost that it needs. All in all playoff hopes aren't dashed yet but it became tougher after this loss. Good game again Freakskull

• Like Like x 1
  22. dubblechzburger

dubblechzburger Walk On

Bad decision you can learn from and try not to do next time. Sailed pass for an INT is just frustrating. NFC North is shaping up to be an interesting race with the Vikings and I about to play.