S1W9

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by jello1717, Nov 13, 2013.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Post 'em The Experience

2. jello1717

Cal 42
    ASU 35

Cal started the game with a 3 and out and then 2 lost fumbles on their next 2 plays and went down 17-0. Outside of turnovers (they'd end the game with 4 of them) the Cal offense was unstoppable and the D made just enough stops (which wasn't very many) for Cal to get the W. The QB Kline to WR Treggs combination was in full effect this game as they both had huge games and HB Bigelow ran through the ASU D like it was swiss cheese.

Game Balls:
    QB Zach Kline - 204.3, 22/28 (78%), 286 yds, 4 TD, 1 INT
    WR Bryce Treggs - 11 rec, 160 yds, 3 TD
    HB#1 Brendan Bigelow - 15 car, 159 yds (10.6 YPC), TD
    HB#2 Darren Ervin - 6 car, 47 yds (7.8 YPC), TD

3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

tennwsu.PNG

Excellent game marred by a regretable ending. The Vols dominated early, controlling the ball and the clock on back to back scoring drives to open the game. The Vols defense was bend but don't break, benefiting from some errant Holliday passes. The Cougs got things going at the end of the second quarter, as they began to run the ball a little more against the Vols. The Cougs took the lead on a frustrating play, as HB Caldwell was stopped short of the goalline but fumbled forward into the end zone, where the Vols defenders stood around and looked at the ball. It was recovered by the Wazzu center for the go ahead touchdown. Tennessee put together a nice drive, but it came up short on 3rd down and had to settle for a field goal to cut the lead to 1. The Vols defense held and forced the finest punt I have seen in the last 3 years of NCAA Football. The high punt bounced at the 10 yard line, and unlike 99.99999% of all punts in this BS game, it didn't roll into the end zone but instead came to a miraculous stop at the 1 yard line. The Vols moved it out to about the 25, but then faced with 4th and short decided to go for it here (time was inside 2 minutes). The Cougs made a great play and stuffed the run for a loss. Three timeouts later and the Cougs were forced to kick the field goal. The Vols marched down the field, buoyed by a big pass down the middle to the tight end. A 6 yard slant gave them the lead, but this is where things got sketchy. The Tennessee coach had a complete brain fart and in the excitement called for a 2 point conversion. Later, the coach explained that he looked at the scoreboard and thought he saw 18-17. Of course that math doesn't add up, the score before the touchdown was 17-13. The obvious play was to kick the extra point and take the 3 point lead. The coach screwed up, thinking he needed a 2 pointer. Again, I'm very sorry BRUCE80 . I honestly made a mistake. An otherwise great game has a black mark on it and for that I apologize.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Masler

Masler Moderator

I would actually call that a gutsy play. Washington State is a Top Ten team at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone go for two in real life with 30ish seconds left knowing there is still time on the clock potentially allowing for them to tie it. Had you not made the 2 point, then you risked losing by one point as he makes a game winner. It's one of those once in a while type of plays you see in real life even though it was an accident.

5. dakota7

No, I completely fucked up and misread the score. I wouldn't have gone for 2 there if I had read the score correctly.

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

#21 Ole Miss - 28

#18 UCLA - 21

Another defensive game with the Rebels that came down to the last moments. With 42 seconds left in the game UCLA HB Thigpen would rush in a TD from 12 yards out to make it 21 all. Ole Miss was fearing OT but Rookie WR Treadwell would take the kickoff 101 yards to the endzone to give Ole Miss the lead once again. The Bruins could do nothing with no timeouts and could not get out of bounds, the game ended when the clock expired before UCLA could get the Hail Mary set.

Stats

B. Wallace - 17/25, 204 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT
    J. Scott - 23 Att, 130 yards, 5.6 YPC, 2 TD
    L. Treadwell - 4 Rec, 61 yards, 1 TD, 4 KR, 218 yards, 1 TD
    K. Lewis - 8 Tackles, 3 TFL
    M. Marry - 7 Tackles, 2 TFL

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Ohhh. I misunderstood. Hopefully it didn't cause an issue.

8. dakota7

Well, bruce was understandably upset about it. But we talked through it. I realized right away when when the kickoff screen came up what I had done. I messaged him right away. It was an honest mistake, but it shouldn't have ever happened.

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

Just like sometimes you get caught pressing A quickly to select PAT and it's not actually that play...

10. dakota7

I'm not sure how I did it. Just remember seeing 18-17 and thinking I had to go for 2.

11. jello1717

I hate it when this happens and I've done it from time to time (but not with PATs). When you call plays by formation or play type (which I'd guess all of you do and I used to do as well) as soon as your play call screen comes up you get a list of either formations or play types. Pushing "A" selection a formation or play type and pushing "Y" brings up special teams.

Well, for the past few months I've been calling plays by personnel and unlike the other 2 options it doesn't bring up a list of formations, but instead brings up a list of plays from the last formation that you called in the huddle (if you want to call a new formation you have to first push "B" and then find a formation and push "A" later or "Y" for special teams). This means that if you hit 4th down and you instinctively push "Y" to bring up special teams you'll call a play from your last formation instead (thankfully I've stopped doing this, but it took me a WHILE to get used to not simply pushing "Y" right away). It also means that if you're spamming "A" to get through the stupid cut scenes and you push it too late, you'll select a play instead (whereas calling by formation would just select a formation instead of a play). I still do this from time to time and have had to burn timeouts because of it (like if I called a 2TE play when it was 3rd and 15 or when I called any play when I needed to punt or kick a FG or a PAT instead).

12. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I was upset for the following reasons...

Bout 50 seconds left, we all know how over powered hurry up works...the Vols used it to go ahead... He scored I figured okay I have two time outs and a great kicker..I can use the sideline and my two TO's to get in range to tie.

When he came out for two...I was like wtf? I was upset because I was thinking this isnt sim....no coach in the country does that...but I believe Dakota...never gave me a reason not to... Here is the thing however... I cant waste a TO there and he wasn't in a tight set....so the throw for two was fairly easy..I have seen guys do shit like that to make you waste a TO, only to come back out with what they should have done in the first place...not what Dakota was up to but you get it...

So it changed the whole complexity for WSU...now instead of needing to move inside the 40 for a chance to tie it we needed a td....with 50 or so left....makes us way easier to defend because we need bigger chunks.

Anyway...with my team on the road at Tennessee, over matched at almost every single spot...it was a good showing..we will continue to work away on the team...look out in a few years.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I think the fucked play I scored on was a first and goal from the one and I pitched it to my Center Dakota...my son was sure of it...

He goes why did you pitch that to your lineman? I was like he fumbled buddy, he said nope you pitched it...wish I had saved that one.

14. dakota7

I used to do that all the time, accidentally hit the lateral button.