s1Wk 2 Denver 62 Atlanta 56

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by nellycuz, Sep 24, 2012.

1. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

Denver Wins a Shootout in Atlanta
    [​IMG]
    Denver holds off Atlanta 62-56 in what became a shootout early. Right off the bat within the first quarter, Denver jumped out to a 21-0 lead. A couple early picks from QB Matt Ryan hurt Atlanta. Total of 6 picks were thrown compared to Mannings 2. Atlanta then turned up the pace a little bit with a touchdown late in the first quarter to make it 21-7. In the second Matty Ice got hot and they scored 21 of their own points to make it a ballgame at halftime 31-28. Denver was held scoreless in the 3rd quarter while Atlanta scored another touchdown of their own. The 4th quarter was a QB showdown as Manning led them to 4 touchdowns while the Falcons scored 3.
    Denver held ATL to 67 rush yards however gave up a whopping 461 to Matty Ice. Matt Ryan threw for 484 yds, 3tds, 6 picks. Manning posted numbers of 319/4td/2int. Rookie Ronnie Hillman led the Broncos on the ground with 9 att for 110 yds and 1 TD. Michael Turner went for 64 yds but posted 3 tds. The Broncos had 6 different players have interceptions.
    Player of the game had to be Manning posting 4 tds and over 300 yds. But all around good effort from everyone. I'd say both the Falcons and the Broncos have work to do on defense. Not going to be scoring 60 plus every week.
    Great game Hokie Effect it was fun

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Definately an entertaining game with alot of highs and lows for both teams. I felt like throwing the controller at the TV when I went down 21-0 within the first 3 minutes. I was really hoping to establish more of a running game despite being down early. Turner just couldn't find the running lanes minus a 36yd TD burst. Matt Ryan was definately throwing darts and looked like 7 v 7 a lot of the time, but playing behind most of the game he was forcing some throws. 6 ints!?!?! That makes 10 for the season!?!?!

Broncos had a well balanced attack and Manning looked like the Manning of old making several difficult throws and kept the chains moving. Denver's offense was definately clicking today. If their defense clamps down Denver maybe the team to beat in the AFC. Atlanta has alot of work ahead of them and starting out 0-2 is far from what team expectations were going into the regular season.

GG Nelly.

3. BirdDog1980

BirdDog1980 Walk On

Oh wow! That sounded like a fun game to watch! An aerial assault in the Dome.

4. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

there is no reason this many points should be scored... slow the fuck down in your play calling and breath. It's probably the reason you threw 8 int's.... this isn't Nascar. I don't want to see scores like this. Do what needs to be done to slow your pace down to a reasonable level. If you have to, wait until 15 seconds to snap the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I agree, but there were also 8 interceptions. I'm telling ya the high number of picks is throwing a lot of these games out of whack. Damn near every crazy score we've had so far had one team (or both) throwing a high number of interceptions.

6. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i think guys are just speed calling plays and throwing to covered receivers... Romo is 5 TD and 2 INT's on the year. I think it's a matter of guys still learning to play the game.

• Like Like x 2
  7. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

This game took an hr and a half...any thought go into changing the quarter like down a minute or 2? Accel clock would solve everything and we all have been accustomed to having this feature since forever. So I guess it takes getting used to but we averaged snapping the ball around the 18-20 second mark in the playclock each time..guess now if we see our scores getting higher we have to slow the game down? It didn't help he threw 3 picks in first 3 posessions...1 a pick six...the other one very close to being one...

8. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

we're already averaging only 48 plays from scrimmage a game instead of 60. i agree ... accel clock would be ideal. hopefully they fix that.

9. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

There wasnt much running the ball going on in this game and if there werent a lot of completions (due to long bomb td's) then patient play-calling wouldnt do much to chew time off the clock. I know the first game I played I didnt think about waiting for the clock to run down at all and felt like I had to rush the whole game and I threw a bunch of Int's and there were far too many plays called. I think my last game against Hokie Affect was only 53 plays as opposed to my first game in the 70's. When I got ahead I relied heavely on the run and took my time to start plays (hike at 15sec). If we are all committed to slow down and hike the ball at 15 seconds and run the ball when we get ahead the games won't have stat lines like this. However, I do think that turnovers probably made this game look a lot worse than it could have been. And its good to see that neither Nelly or Hokie are complaining about any cheese on either end.

10. CalebMackie

CalebMackie Easy like Sunday morning

Seemed like a pretty high scoring game but seemed that way from the 21 points dropped in 3 minutes. Gilmore is right on the waiting before you call thing, JSimms and I played our game and we were practically waiting until the playclock was at 20-15 seconds left before every call in attempts to slow the pace down drastically. It helped a lot, we were heading into the 4th quarter with a tie game of 13-13 before we got disconnected; people just need to not panic so much when they are down quickly and realize there is plenty of time left in the game and other people who are new to leagues need to really learn to tune their offense down 2 notches once you're up by 2 or 3 scores (and for some of the new guys tune your offense down double what you think) not to make it fair so to speak but to keep the game honest. It makes for much better games if you begin running the ball a ton when you are in the lead by a lot and keeps the pace in your favor so not only are you keeping the scores at a realistic rate you are also owning the pace of the game which turns out to be pretty beneficial in victories in user games.

• Like Like x 2