S2:W11 - Vikings v. Lions

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JSimms, Jan 12, 2013.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Oct 25, 2009
    Vikings Beat Lions 31-16; Sweep Season Series
    Minneapolis, MN - The Vikings & Lions met in Week 11 for their second divisional match-up of the 2013 season. The first meeting was a 17-14 win for the Vikings in Detroit in what was very much a defensive battle.
    The story of the game was time of possession, and the fact that the Lions just couldn't seem to get the Vikings offense off of the field. The Vikings would begin the game by forcing a 3 and out. On offense and a short field, the Vikings methodically marched up the field and into the end zone as AP and the Viking O-Line overpowered the Lions D. The Lions offense would sputter again, and the Vikings would begin another long, time-consuming drive. This time, however, the Lions rookie CB Mario Brown would pick QB Tony Romo off inside the Lions red zone. Brown ran a drag route alongside Percy Harvin beautifully, and cut in front of the Romo pass that was thrown a little bit behind the receiver. The Lions would finally get something going on offense, but their next drive would stall in Viking territory and they'd have to settle for 3. The Vikings would get a FG on their next drive, leaving the Lions with less than 40 seconds before the half. A last second hail mary attempt fell incomplete, but a defensive pass interference was called that set the Lions up on the 1 with no time left! They kicked a FG to end the half, score 10-6 in favor of Vikings.
    The second half began with an 9 minute drive for the Vikings, capped off by AP's 2nd TD of the day. The Lions, down 17-6, would respond. On 3rd & Long, Stafford would hit Calvin Johnson (who lined up in the slot) on a streak that he would take 82 yards to paydirt (this was also his first catch of the day). On the ensuing kickoff, Percy Harvin almost got his 3rd kickoff return TD of the season, instead taking it 80+ yards into the Lions red zone. The Vikings would capitalize, but would need a 4th down TD run from AP inside the 1 to make it happen (gutsy call by the Vikings in a 17-13 game!) The Lions would take their next drive deep into Viking territory, but CB Josh Robinson (subbed in for an injured CB Captain Munnerlyn, currently sitting on the Pro Bowl ballots but will now miss the next 6 games) intercepted a Stafford pass and took it 93 yards for the score. This, in my opinion, was the dagger. The Lions would tack on another FG; the Vikings a TD. Final score: 31-16.
    Great game Anthrax78. The Lions dropped a ton of passes (including a wide open TD pass in the first half). If they hadn't, this game could have gone a lot differently.
    Players of Game:
    RE Jared Allen - 2 sacks; 1 FF
    HB AP - 35 carries, 121 yds, 3 TD
    WR Calvin Johnson - 3 catches, 125 yds, 1 TD
    SS Patrick Chung - 9 tackles

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Aug 7, 2012
    Good stuff JSimms, won the trench war and that 3rd quarter drive killed my chances. Debated that play on the 1 at the end the first half off that hail-mary pass interference call but hindsight being 20/20 maybe should of. Regardless of this, bottom line was I couldn't stop your running attack and had no running game at all on my side which beat me in the end, Great game and well called!