S2 W12 Packers vs Lions

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Anthrax78, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Lions and Packers Treat National Audience to Wild Shootout on Thanksgiving, Lions 48, Packers 42 in OT
    The Green Bay Packers are the hottest team in the NFL in the past 2 months and a black sheep pick to make a Super Bowl run. They knocked off the Raiders, Vikings, Chargers and Saints heading into a traditional snooze-fest of a match-up with the Lions. The Packers have owned Detroit for years in Thanksgiving contests and no one expected anything different this time. The NFL even had to debate on letting Detroit keep the Thanksgiving game due to their horrendous showings in the past decade.
    What everyone got was the highest scoring game in Thanksgiving day history and 16 seconds to the greatest comeback in NFL history!
    The Lions knew that coming into the game that they were going to have to play their best in order to even stand a chance, but most of the first half they played like a team from a different planet. "Coach Matt Polzin has the most dangerous team in the league, they spread the ball around well and I felt we had a bad match-up with their WR corp and our secondary." Coach Westcott then added "It takes great coaching and willing to go out of your comfort zone to make a comeback like that and it shows how well they are coached and why they have been beating everyone lately.".
    Detroit came out and struck first on a 3rd and long deep pass down the middle of the field to Calvin Johnson to grab a 7-0 lead. After forcing the Packers to punt, the Lions struck again. This time it was rookie Walker Stream, who beat a press coverage and took it to the endzone for a 14-0 lead.
    Another rookie for Detroit made a big play, when Mario Brown then picked off a deep pass intended for Greg Jennings who took it back 90 plus yards for a touchdown, 21-0. Calvin Johnson beat tight coverage for his second touchdown, 28-0. Crosby kicked a long field goal giving the Packers their first points of the game, 28-3. Then SS Patrick Chung picked Rodgers in a Cover-3 zone defense and returned it for another pick 6, 35-3. It was the middle of the second quarter and the Ford Field crowd were going crazy!
    Then the Lions returned to their roots and the Packers came back swinging!
    Green Bay added another field goal and connected to Rodgers favorite target, Greg Jennings and made it 35-13 going into halftime. Coach Westcott tried a slow-burn tactic of running the ball by committee that quickly backfired on him and did little to the Packers front "If Clay Matthews were out there we would of only had 30 yards rushing and three more fumbles." Westcott commented about Green Bay's probowl LB who is out with an injury "It didn't matter what approach we used, they just gobbled up every run and kept them in the game. It just shows that great teams can run the ball and put teams away but obviously we still lack that and the Packers capitalized on it.".
    Detroit turned the ball over when Shephens-Howling fumbled and Packers CB Kyle Arrington fell on it, giving the Packers the momentum shift they needed and then Aaron Rodgers started carving up the Lions secondary like turkey everyone in America were enjoying this holiday.
    Rodgers drove the Packers down the field for a Jordy Nelson touchdown pass, 35-20. After forcing Detroit anemic rushing game down again, Rodgers connected another TD pass to Greg Jennings that was lead by a precise passing attack of hitting outs and superb route running by the Packers receivers leaving the Lions scratching their heads, 35-27, middle of the fourth.
    After facing another 3rd and long, Matt Stafford made his first mistake of the game, at the worst time too! Stafford lofted a pass in the middle of the field that was picked by Packers FS Morgan Burnett, who made it a pick 6, and you guess it. They converted the two point conversion, 35-35 and the Ford Field crowd booed like never before which is saying something.
    The Lions stumbled on themselves again and punted the ball away that was lead by a Packer drive that went deep into the Lions zone with under two minutes left in the game. The Packers then piled in a goal line rushing touchdown by James Starks, 42-35 Packers, with the fans looking like they were going to riot. "I felt sick inside giving up a lead like that!" Coach Westcott commented after the game "I'm not sure I could collect a paycheck from the Ford family again in good conscience again if we lost, which we damn near did!"
    Stafford then lead the Lions offense out on the field with a minute and 6 seconds left with one timeout. Stafford drove them down to the Packers 33 yard line and with 16 seconds left, connected a clutch pass to Titus Young for the tied score, 42-42 with 16 seconds left. The kickoff didn't explode in their faces and after two plays it was on to overtime. The last overtime Lions game on Thanksgiving was the controversiel "coin-flip" game with the Steelers in 1998, which the Lions won 19-16 in OT. This one came down to a coin flip too. "I knew if they got the ball we didn't have a chance really. I trust my defense normally but Rodgers was on fire after the second quarter, didn't matter what coverage we threw at him." Westcott concluded.
    The Lions won the toss and elected to receive. After a ho-hum return by Stephens-Howling, coach Westcott called an agressive deep route play to try and catch the Packers off guard on first down. With Stream lined up outside, he beat his man off the press and Stafford saw him and connected, with Stream beating everyone down the sideline to the roar of the the Lions faithful. "This was easily one of the best of games I've been involved in, win or lose." Westcott said running off the sidelines "Usually, when you rack up 7 sacks and 2 INT's it equals an easy victory but not today. I hope everyone at home got their money's worth with that one!".
    The Turducken Award
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Matt Stafford 14/21
    434 Yards Passing 5 TD's 1 INT
    Aaron Rodgers 24/31
    383 Yards Passing 3 TD's 2 INT's
    stats:
    Stream 5 rec 194 yards 2 TD
    Johnson Jr 4 rec 178 yards 2 TD
    Jennings 9 rec 148 yards 2 TD's
    Laderius Mitchell 10 att 35 yrds
    James Starks 16 att 82 yrds 1 TD
    Leshoure 9 att 26 yrds

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Good game Anthrax78 I have to give you a ton of credit, that first half was awful. Turnovers kill. I replayed that go ahead touchdown by starks, I think I really screwed up the clock there. I never should have scored that touchdown on 2nd down. I really regret not burning that clock down and just kicking a field goal on fourth down. See ya in 2 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. brizz98

brizz98 Walk On

Wow. That was like reading a book. Great recap. Sounded like one Hell of a game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Yeah, hell next week (our time) and the Lions have not beat the Packers at Lambeau field since 91:eek:. Had I known what I was in store for the second half I would of tried to get more points at the end of the first but instead settled for running the clock and missing a long field goal. If it's any consolation, I literally felt sick to my stomach after that pick in the fourth and blowing that lead. You're right that about the Starks play too, if you even took a knee I would of blown my last timeout then if you even had to settle for a field goal it would of been around 26 seconds for me to score with no timeouts. Hindsight is always 20/20 of course but either way it was a fantastic game, especially keeping your poise after the first half.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  5. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Anthrax78 - The Vikings expect a scouting report by Week 16 if you want us to beat the Pack and give you a better shot at the playoffs!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

LOL I don't think you would exactly want my advice considering how close this game actually was. I can see why he is a bad match up for you though since he was FANTASTIC at stopping the run, which helped his comeback. Great coverage would be a start. I gain nothing since you are still the guy to beat in our division too;)

7. ConiglioSG

ConiglioSG Walk On

Wooow! GREAT game. :) Congrats