S2:W12 - Vikings v. Chargers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JSimms, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Oct 25, 2009
    A Tale of Two Halves; Vikings Make Second Half Comeback Behind AP
    San Diego, CA - The Vikings (9-1) rolled into San Diego in Week 12 to face a hungry Chargers (4-6) team looking to stay in the playoff hunt in the AFC. The Vikings would get all they could handle, especially in the first half, and were grateful to leave Cali with a victory.
    The first half was dominated by the Chargers. The Vikings would fall short on their first drive (after a San Diego 3 & out), and K Walsh would miss a 55-yard FG attempt. The Chargers would capitalize, and drove down the field behind HB Ryan Mathews who would run for 77 yards on 15 carries on the #1 ranked rushing D in the league. QB Rivers would hit WR Robert Meachem from 29 yards out for the first score of the game (CB Winfield showed his age on the play - he tried to undercut the receiver and wasn't able to get there in time). The Vikings would answer with a FG, but HB Ryan Mathews would put the Chargers up 11 late in the first half on an electric 36-yd TD run. Romo was picked off once in the half, and the Vikings went into the locker room down 14-3 and needing to change their offensive gameplan. Another key note - the Chargers would miss a FG late in the half as well.
    Coach Simmons showed why he's in the running for coach of the year, and the Vikings came out in the second half energetic and with a completely new scheme on offense. They wasted no time getting back into the game, and AP capped off a nice opening half drive with a 2-yd TD run to make the score 14-10. On the ensuing Charger drive, QB Rivers tested LB Chad Greenway on a deep pattern to TE Aaron Hernandez, and he paid for it. Greenway made a nice (user) INT and the Vikings were back in business looking to take their first lead of the game. They were able to do so on a 14-yd TD catch from TE Kyle Rudolph, and just like that the Vikings were up 17-14. The Chargers would continue to struggle on offense, which was aided by several untimely drops by San Diego wide receivers. The Vikings would score again early in the 4th - a 12-yd TD run by Adrian Peterson that would put him at 20 for the season (a career high). The Vikings would tack on another FG late, and would leave San Diego with the 27-14 victory.
    Great game Danny - you had me on the ropes in the first half, and forced me to change my game plan at halftime. Good luck the rest of the season!
    Players of the Game:
    HB AP - 28 carries for 166 yds, 2 TD; 1 catch for 9 yds
    TE Kyle Rudolph - 8 catches, 86 yds, 1 TD
    HB Ryan Mathews - 15 carries, 77 yds, 1 TD
    CB Adam Jones - 3 tackles, 1 INT

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Jun 15, 2012
    The Chargers got their hopes up early and thought that they had Peterson contained until the second half began.... This was an exciting game and the Vikings defense made Rivers look terrible the second half and that interception was the turning point in the game. Also the Vikings converted some clutch 3rd down plays that broke the will of the Chargers defense in the second half. The TD by Rudolph was crazy because it was in the middle of the field with three Chargers around him and he still came up with the catch!

GG JSimms

With Romo now on your team, and Peterson looking like he has a real chance to break the rushing record this year, it's Superbowl or bust for the Vikings this year. And I think you have a real shot at repeating. Good luck the rest of the way. I enjoyed finally meeting up in the regular season. I am going to warn the rest of the league that JSimms knows how to play from behind and has proven himself to be the clutch in his ability to comeback and win. Just look at the game summaries for his playoff run last year. He also came back by over three or four scores against me in a preseason game last year and now just erased a two score deficit in the second half in this one!
    • Like Like x 1