S2 W14: Falcons at Texans

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Masler, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Reliant Stadium, Houston, TX​
    Texans - 33​
    Falcons - 22​
    After the benching of Schaub many thought Coach Masler was crazy and received a bit of criticism. Well TJ Yates has those Twitter critics praising this decision now. Atlanta came into Houston looking to squash any playoff hopes this team has but was unable to do the job and those hopes remain alive one more week. Atlanta forced Houston to punt on the first drive and Matt Ryan immediately connected with Julio Jones for a 89 yard score. On their next drive the Texans would march down the field but were knocked back due to sacks and had to settle for the FG. Ryan would throw his first pick of the day to Joseph but the Texans again were held to a FG. After another tough round of defense by Houston the Falcons punted it away to Martin who would weave his way through for the leading score. The lead would not stay Houstons for long as Ryan picked them apart on his way to another TD to Julio Jones who stood alone in the endzone. With barely 30 seconds left in the half, Yates decided to go no huddle and eventually found Andre Johnson who shook a defender and ran in for the score to put Houston up 20-14 with 2 seconds to go. Ryan threw it down field with no time on the clock and Julio nearly caught the tip but could not. ​
    In the second half the Texans defense stood strong as they continuously caused problems for the Falcons. Ryan would eventually throw another INT to Joseph after Houston kicked another FG to go up 23-14. Yates would connect with Oliver a few plays later to take a 30-14 lead. The Falcons were far from done as they scored extremely fast as Michael Turner found the endzone this time to pull the Texans within 10 and after a successful 2 point conversion it was now a one score game. Houston drove down the field and Bryant continued his good streak and kicked another FG. This game was sealed when Ryan would attempt a long pass in which Brian Cushing would leap up and snag it out of the air. Houston would play the clock the rest of the game on a couple of rushes from Foster before letting the final 30 or so seconds run out. ​
    Great game Hokie Effect, Yates proved to be a capable back today, especially after a rough start of an incompletion and a fumble (glad that lineman picked it up and had the longest rush of his career lol) but every play I felt Julio was going to break free like the very first pass but my defense played great for a change. Good luck the rest of the way man. ​
    Stats​
    T. Yates - 13/15, 206 yards, 2 TD​
    A. Foster - 30 Att, 113 yards​
    A. Johnson - 4 Rec, 81 yards, 1 TD​
    J. Oliver - 1 Rec, 14 yards, 1 TD​
    J. Joseph - 3 Tackles, 2 INT​
    D. Manning - 9 Tackles, 1 Sack​
    B. Cushing - 4 Tackles, 1 INT​
    M. Ryan - 17/33, 334 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT​
    M. Turner - 8 Att, 60 yards, 1 TD​
    J. Jones - 5 Rec, 154 yards, 2 TD​
    T. Gonzalez - 5 Rec, 72 yards​
    R. Edwards - 3 Tackles, 1 Sack​
    A. Samuel - 6 Tackles​

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Whoops, put Week 13, actually Week 14...Randiesel75..

3. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I wish I would have tried running the ball more early on after seeing my rushing success on very few carries. Ugh just don't know what Falcons are going to how up week in and week out..... GG

4. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Looks like a freefall going on 8 carries 60 yards? pound that thang.

5. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Fixed

6. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Masler

What made you go with Yates today for the bulk of the load?

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Kept throwing picks with Schaun. I had two or three in a row with 4 a game