S2:W16 - Vikings v. Packers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by JSimms, Jan 28, 2013.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Oct 25, 2009
    Vikings Revenge Loss to Pack; Secure #1 Seed at Lambeau
    Green Bay, WI - The Vikings & Coach Simmons rolled into Lambeau Field on Sunday in Week 16 looking to revenge their worst loss of the season a few weeks back, when they were embarrassed on their home field 34-9 by the Pack. The green & yellow had stifled the Vikings since Simmons became head coach, accounting for 2 of his 4 user losses in almost two full seasons of TLY.
    Both teams came out of the gates playing great D, forcing the other team's offense to fight for every yard & first down. The Vikings were able to get the ball into field goal range on their first drive, but a 3rd down sack by CB Jarrett Bush pushed them out of range and they were forced to punt. The Packers answered with a long drive of their own, but only came away with three points. Score after 1 quarter of play - 3-0 in favor of the Pack.
    The Vikings would finally get on the board early in the 2nd, as Blair Walsh kicked a 45-yard FG to tie the game. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers passing game would struggle all game, and Rodgers would throw his first of four interceptions midway through the 2nd quarter to CB Chris Cook. The Vikings would make Rodgers pay for the mistake, and after another long drive AP would score from 1-yard out to make history - 29 rushing TD's, breaking Ladainian Tomlinson's 2006 record. Rodgers would be picked by CB Chris Cook a 2nd time in the half. Score after 2 quarters of play - 10-3 in favor of the Vikings.
    The third quarter was all defense. The Packers were a mere 2 of 6 on third downs, and were dominated in time of possession 26:13 on the day. The two teams exchanged FG's, and this was still very much a game heading into the final quarter of play. 13-6 in favor of MN.
    Turnovers ultimately killed the Packers in this one. Rodgers threw two more picks in the 4th quarter - a 3rd by CB Chris Cook and rookie CB Antione Hudson would get his first INT of his young career, filling in for injured CB Captain Munnerlyn who is expected back next week and for the playoffs. The Vikings, however, would not seal this game until the two minute warning when, on 3rd and 8, AP took a toss play 15 yards to paydirt.
    Side Note - K Blair Walsh missed two FG's from 50+, which helped keep this game close. Both kicks had the distance, but hit the upright and bounced back into play. Is it just me, or is the wind not right when kicking?? (seems to be the opposite of the direction it's pointing!)
    Final Score:
    Vikings: 20
    Packers: 6
    Great game dakota7 - It took me three tries, but I finally played some defense against you and came away with the W. I've enjoyed our rivalry, and look forward to our matchups next season!
    Players of the Game:
    HB Adrian Peterson - 29 carries, 129 yds, 2 TD; 2 catches for 3 yds
    LOLB Chad Greenway - 6 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 Sack, 1 PD
    CB Chris Cook - 3 INT's, 3 Tackles, 1 PD
    MLB Desmond Bishop - 7 tackles, 2 TFL
    K Mason Crosby - 2 for 2 FG

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Sep 23, 2009
    Gg JSimms My team fell apart the second half of the season. Your defense played really well, much different than the last matchup. I can tell this is the fourth game we've played, we are really starting to anticipate each other tendencies. Good luck in the playoffs.