S2 W9: San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Boom29, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Jul 7, 2011

Seahawks Let One Slip Away
    49ers overcome 24-point deficit to win in OT, 40-34

The San Francisco 49ers appeared headed towards their sixth loss of the season after Marshawn Lynch ran untouched down the right sideline 59 yards to put the Seahawks ahead 34-10 midway through the third quarter. The Niners would move deep into Seahawks territory on their next possession, but would settle for a seemingly meaningless field goal on 4th and Goal from the 14 to cut the deficit to 21 points.

Despite forcing a Seattle punt to end the quarter, the Niners would fail to take advantage and would turn the ball over on downs, giving Seattle the ball once again with a 21 point lead. It would be on Seattle's ensuing possession where San Francisco would come alive and begin their furious comeback. The Seahawks, not content to run the clock, had Russell Wilson throw the ball attempting to convert a third and short, but Wilson's pass would be intercepted by Carlos Rogers who returned the interception for a touchdown, cutting the Seahawks lead to 34-20.

Down 14 with less the five minutes to go, San Francisco attempted an onside kick which they recovered after the ball bounced off a Seahawks blocker. The 49ers offense, now going almost exclusively no-huddle, was able to drive down the field, culminating the drive with a short TD pass to WR Jameel Sommerfield. With a full set of timeouts and over three minutes left on the clock, the 49ers would kick deep and hope for a Seattle punt. Indeed, the 49ers defense again rose to the occasion forcing Seattle to punt, and giving the 49ers offense good field position.

San Francisco would then tie the game on a WR screen pass from Kaepernick to Sommerfield from 63 yards out. Seattle had one final chance to win the game in regulation, but a Hail Mary attempt would fall incomplete just short of the end zone.

In the overtime period, San Francisco was forced to punt, giving Seattle a great chance to win the game after blowing their 21 point lead. Indeed, the Seahawks moved deep into Niners territory and were set to kick a game-winning field goal, but San Francisco would call a timeout to "ice" the kicker. Inexplicably, the Seattle offense would come back onto the field, and rather than run the ball, threw a pass down the middle of the field that Patrick Willis intercepted.

With the ball at their two yard line and not wanting to give Seattle one final possession in the overtime period, the San Francisco coaching staff called three consecutive running plays intended to drain the clock in case a first down was not picked. Nevertheless, after a third down conversion, San Francisco called their final timeout hoping that 50 seconds would enough to get into field goal range. Expecting a blitz by the aggressive Seattle defense, Frank Gore took a perfectly executed screen pass 85 yards for the game-winning touchdown, culminating the improbable comeback for the 49ers.

The Seahawks had taken the early lead in large part behind two special team touchdowns (PR/KR) and a fumble return for a touchdown in the first half.

fuzzyl0gic, Good game. I'm still pretty speechless. Even while making the comeback, your defense was very tough and was getting into the backfield on almost every pass play. I wondered why didn't run the ball more in the fourth quarter to just run the clock, and then in OT when you were deep in my territory. I few of those times I was able to get a much-needed sack, but I felt like I was at your mercy.

Notable Stats
    San Francisco 49ers Seattle Seahawks
    QB Colin Kaepernick - 29/45, 446 yards, 4 TD, INT QB Russell Wilson - 16/28, 255 yards, 2 INT
    HB Frank Gore - 13 car, 66 yards, long 13; 4 rec, 85 yards, TD, long 85 HB Marshawn Lynch - 12 car, 69 yards, TD, long 59
    WR Jameel Sommerfield - 9 rec, 163 yards, 2 TD, long 63 WR Doug Baldwin - 8 rec, 134 yards, long 23
    WR Michael Crabtree - 7 rec, 88 yards, long 20 TE Kellen Winslow - 3 rec, 51 yards, long 22
    TE Vernon Davis - 6 rec, 78 yards, TD, long 27 MLB Bobby Wagner - 8 tack, 2 sack
    OLB Aldon Smith - 10 tack, 3 sack, FF FS Earl Thomas - 11 tack, FR, TD
    CB Carlos Rogers - 3 tack, INT, TD Special Teams - KR TD, PR TD
    • Like Like x 3
  2. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Apr 14, 2010
    GG man, yeah I shit the bed in that one. I couldn't believe that comeback. I was pretty stupid with those passes. I didn't think a FG would win in OT though, I thought you would get a chance in that case?
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Jun 15, 2012
    It was the second possession so a FG would have won it. A FG on the opening drive is the only situation the other team gets a second chance in overtime....
  4. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Sep 4, 2010
    FG wins it bonehead! :)
  5. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Apr 14, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  6. yogibear

yogibear Walk On

Nov 9, 2012
    Wow!!! What a comeback. A tough loss, and a great win. Good game fellas.