S2: Week 1 Detroit Lions vs Oakland Raiders

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Kidofcrash23, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Raiders Defense Shut Down Lions in Opener 24-13

Raiders open the season at home against a high powered offensive team in the Lions. Lions come in with one of the most potent offenses in league with Stafford at the helm and throwing to Calvin Johnson and having one of the speediest backs in the league in Javhid Best. The Raiders focused on improving their secondary in the off-season and did so by drafting two CBS and signing veteran Terrence Newman to solidify the CB position and it looks like the money spent and picking Odle in the 1st round has paid off so far.

The Raiders in the 1st quarter was able to jump out into a 14-0 lead behind the play of the secondary. After the Lions stopped the Raiders with a 3 and out, Tyvon Branch took a Matthew Stafford pass and took it to the house to put the Raiders up 7-0. As the Raiders did last year, turnovers and pick six’s were keys to the Raider bend but don’t break defense returning over five picks last year and this year, they started off quickly. Stafford look to get those points back in the next possession, but pro-bowler Demarcus Van Dyke picked up Stafford again trying to hit his receiver on a corner route and the Raiders had great field position at the Lions 30. Pryor, who struggled in the pre-season, but won the starting QB job help drive the Raiders in the redzone and hit DHB for a TD to put the Raiders up 14-0.
    For the remainder of the game, the Raiders held on to the lead holding the Lions to no offensive touchdowns with their loan TD being a kick-off return TD by Stephens-Howling. The Lions offense struggled with Stafford throwing three picks with one going back for a score, sacked six times by six different defenders. Calvin Johnson did not have any big plays and Jahvid Best was held in check for the most part of the game. The Lions were only able to muster 216 yards on offense for the game while the Raiders generated just 250 yards, but controlled the game with the defense and the running game.

The Raider highlights were Pryor going 11-12 for 150 yards and a TD and no picks, a good performance on his first meaningful start after struggling in the pre-season. McFadden had trouble finding room most of the game, but was able to find holes in the 2nd half which led to a McFadden TD run. McFadden again finished with over 100 yards on 23 carries averaging almost 5 yards per carry. The defense again caused turnovers with ints by DVD, Branch, and McClain. The most impressive stat was the six sacks coming from six different defenders with newly acquired Kyle Vanden Bosch getting his first sack as a Raider. This is a good sign for the secondary the struggled most of the season last year, but with this type of pass rush and good coverage; this could be one of the top defenses in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Good game Kidofcrash23! Throwing three picks and your ball control killed my chances along with your pressure. Didn't feel bad about my D other than the fact that I couldn't get you off the field when I needed to.

3. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Put something together of game, first time doing it and some issues with accidently slow moing some clips...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

got a copyright notice from youtube. i gues going to have to take this down .

5. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

That sucks...cool post. Those int's make me cringe though;)!