S2W15: ***Chargers @ Lions*** Must Read!

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Ace847, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Jun 15, 2012
    The Chargers and Lions were both coming into this game with a lot on the line in their playoff hunt. The Lions had a 3 game winning streak and the Chargers had 2 in a row. With a win, the Lions could have pretty much solidified a wildcard spot. The Chargers were sitting at 6-7 in a very competitive AFC race for the wildcard and needed a win to keep their long shot hopes alive for the playoffs.

The game didn't start well for the Chargers as Rivers threw a pick six on his first possession of the game to Detroits P. Chung who took it 42 yards to pay-dirt. The Chargers would then put together a decent drive running the ball that ended in a FG making it 3-7 Lions lead. It wouldn't take long for Detroit to score again on a perfectly timed screen pass to L.Stephens-Howling (58 yards!). The second quarter Rivers continued to struggle and threw another interception that led to a methodical drive by Detroit led my RB L.Mitchell that ended in him scoring on a 18 yard run to add to the Lions lead (3-21). The Chargers were able to move the ball to about midfield when an unfortunate sack on third down forced the Chargers to punt it away again! Detroit ate up the rest of the clock and ended the half with a 31 yard FG making it 3-24 Detroit lead (and they would be fortunate enough to receive the ball again at the start of the second half....).

Things were not looking good for the Chargers at that point being down 21 but they would continue to fight and play solid defense. The third quarter consisted of a back and forth defensive battle between these two teams that would end with no score and about 4 punts! The Chargers were on the receiving end of one of these punts to start the 4th quarter and were able to get something going. Rivers completed a huge 3rd and long pass to keep the drive alive which ultimately ended in a 35 yard TD pass to Eddie Royal who recently moved up into the number 3 WR position cutting into the Lions lead (10-24) 8min 42 seconds left.... on the ensuing drive the Chargers were surprised to find Matthew Stafford throwing the ball but were obviously prepared as Keith Rivers intercepted Stafford for a 50 yard TD (17-24)- 8:32 left. After the huge pick six to bring the game within one score the Chargers were prepared for the run which had been very productive on the day (about 145 yards combined) but Stafford came out throwing and the Chargers defense took advantage once again intercepting Stafford and returning it to about the 8 yard line. Aaron Hernandez would quickly score on a 6 yard TD pass from Rivers tying the game 24-24!!!!-8:15 left in the game (Chargers score 3 TD's in 1:45!)

Now you can imagine the pressure Stafford was under and this lead to his third interception on the ensuing drive that put the Chargers in good field position. The Chargers played it safe and settled with a FG with 6:05 left in the game giving the Chargers a 27-24 lead. On the next drive Stafford completed a huge pass to bring the Lions around mid-field but the Chargers would play solid defense and get lucky on a drop on 3rd and 10 that would have easily been a first down. With about 4:30 left the Lions decided to go for it on fourth down and the Chargers stopped the Lions drive at mid-field to take over on downs. HC Danny Ski decided to keep fumble prone Ryan Matthews on the bench and rely on Donald Brown who has a much better carry rating and hasn't fumbled yet this year. The Chargers were able to run out the clock with a few first downs and some clock management confusion on the Lions sideline to win the game 27-24.

I am stilled shocked at the outcome of this game! Things just went the Chargers way in the 4th and they pulled off a miraculous comeback to bring their team to 7-7. The Chargers will have to win out and get some real help to snag a wild card but this game at least keeps them alive in the playoff hunt and increases their winning streak to 3!

GG Anthrax78

It was one of those games that I had all but lost hope and somehow I came out on top! It looks like you have a much better chance at the playoffs than I do so I hope this one doesn't sting too bad for you. I'm sure you will bounce back! Whats funny is that Stafford was continuing with his stellar QB play all the way up until the dreaded 4th quarter! Things just went my way there and like others have attested to in this years Madden...when it rains, it pours! I've been on the other end of the rain storm many other times so I know how it feels. Good luck the rest of the way and in the post-season.

Player of the game: Keith Rivers- 4 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception for a TD!
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Aug 7, 2012
    Well played....It's obviously hard to swallow but got really cute with my play calling and got away with what was working. It just goes to show that playing only 3 quarters doesn't equal out a win and you made the plays to make that happen. If I miss the playoffs I will remember this one for sure. Hopefully, we will be able to play next season..GG
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Aug 11, 2010
    Nice write-up, Danny. Looks like you have them Chargers playing well in the critical time of the year.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. whoozy11

whoozy11 Walk On

Oct 1, 2012
    Agreed, nice write up bud. You're great when your opponents not the Pats.
    • Like Like x 2