(S3) Closed Game Settings

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by LeatherHelmets, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

2. Andrew

Andrew Walk On

It is far too expansive for me to list even highlights of what is said here, but I have personally always found this site useful in determining sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ncaa-football-sliders/

There will always be ones that you will prefer more than others, but all the people there are dedicated to realism and you can pick and choose what elements you like and don't like, I suppose. On that same site I found some sliders for Madden 12 that have made that my personal favorite game of all-time now.

3. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

That is a good site....for seeing what others are doing...

A league, as it develops, forms an identity through the game settings, as a result of actual performance, good or bad.....from that performance sliders are adjusted to further refine our identity as to how we see and play the game...

So my perspective is that our collective performance, then the adjustments we make in moving forward as just as valid as any other league playing the game....

4. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    I like that change. I would also drop CPU interceptions some. Maybe raise User WR catching? I feel like I get a lot of dropped balls but maybe that's just me.

5. calirage

calirage Walk On

i like a lower speed threshold because that is imho how college football is, if a burner gets outside or loose on a defense he is usually gone. Not like the NFL where LB's are all fast and Safeties are sometimes as fast as the RB's.

6. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

I like the speed threshold lowered to 35 or 30.. I think the cpu could use a boost in running. I will do some research and post some more things asap

7. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

updated based on recent comments, changes in RED

8. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

9. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Played OSU today.....picked up 4 ints, gave up 2....you can really see the change in cpu backs....they cover up the ball, both hands, looking like back is to be stopped, then poof, thru the line....on the way to a big gain

Not much change in catches for user....

10. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

I wouldnt mind seing pass blocking better, but I have a feeling it may allow people with good passing offenses to really dominate. I have been playin a offline dynasty with our custom sliders. I am able to pass for 300 yards a game pretty easy, and although I do get sacked quite a bit. I finally realised that I can take controll of the drop back as long as I am pushing back when the ball is hiked. It allows me to step up a lil quicker on short passes (slants,stops,outs) and take a full 5 or 7 step drop and step up into the pocket on deeper throws. I just looked it up to be sure, and the most sacks ever in D-1 college football is Derrick Thomas with 27. SO the stats we are seing are not all that bad from a pass rushing perspective.

I have a test league set up with these setting, post if you want an invite, "tugtest"...use a team other than the one you have...

A couple thoughts:

-What do people think of raising the user pass blocking to 55? If feels like my QB gets nailed nearly every time I attempt a pass. And I think the majority of us have had poor user passing percentages.

-For me, I'm not sure I agree with lowering the CPU run defense. I'm already averaging nearly 7 yards per carry with my running backs. I had been thinking about suggesting raising CPU run defense or lowering user run blocking...but I don't think that has been as consistent amongst all of us as the passing issues so maybe leaving it the same is the best option.

-Maybe raise the facemask slider? I don't recall having a single facemask call in my 9 games.

-I haven't seen what others are doing but I would leave FG power at 50. I haven't had the power to make a single field goal from longer than ~45 yards.

Will send out an invite to all coaches...probably advance every couple of days, plz post your thought asap after your game...want to get firmed up before off season..so possible new coaches coming in know in advance...thx

Just joined the test OD as West Virginia and played a game at Syracuse.

-The speed threshold change is definitely noticeable and is generally a good change, imo. Kickoff and punt returns opened up a lot though and I'm concerned about that. I returned a kickoff for a TD(that was called back for a clip after I was already past everyone) and my 2 punt returns in the game went for 32 yards and 29 yards(I'm averaging 7.6 with Wisconsin and don't think I've had any that long all season). I'm not sure if the CPU run defense would have anything/much to do with that. Maybe 45 instead of 40?

-For lowering the rush defense, I saw broken arm tackles from both sides and more quality running out of the CPU. So I think lowering it for the User was a good change...and could possibly go even lower. For the CPU though mixed with the speed threshold change, it was pretty much what I was concerned of as I averaged nearly 10 yards per carry. And I did it with West Virginia's offense which is an Air Raid offense this year and lacks the power running plays that Wisconsin has. So I still don't agree with lowering the CPU rush defense and would probably be raising it to 55 or 60 if this were an offline dynasty of mine.

-Part of the reason I wanted to use West Virginia's offense was to test out the settings in more of a passing offense(since I've had issues with that). I connected on a good amount of deep balls but was getting hit often as I was getting rid of the ball and was below 50% passing in the game. Maybe raise user pass blocking but also raise CPU pass coverage? That way there's more time to throw and read the defense but the defensive coverage is better so you have to make better decisions with the extra time.

-For FG power, I made a 48 yard field goal in this game(in a dome too) so I agree with lowering the FG power. I guess my Wisconsin kicker just doesn't have a powerful leg despite having a good overall rating.

-Interceptions: Neither side had an interception but there were definitely some that could/should have been intercepted.

Ok fellas I have taken into account Hal9100's comments as well as my own and after talking with the commish I have taken over the sliders for the test OD.
    We will not be making major changes but will be making some small adjustments to better our gaming experience and to make the game as SIM as we can which is the purpose of the whole TSO site. Again these are all test sliders and nothing is final for next season as of yet. The more input we can get the better we can make it. If you want your voice heard then you will need to test the sliders and post your comments.

Notes: we will not make any changes for next year that put the value below 40 or over 60...This is done to give us time to play games and test the sliders we don't want to make huge jumps in sliders. We be playing this OD for several years and will continue to tweak the sliders as we go so we don't have to make them perfect.

So about the Sliders:

This season we are out to fix 2 major issues that I see: The run game for users and CPU and the pass rush/pass block/passing

RUN GAME:
    IMO it is very easy for the user to run the ball.....look at some of the gaudy stats and year long stats users dominate the standings in almost every rushing category. I could be pushing 2000 with Dyer if I wanted to.
    Fix attempt
    Lower User RBlock to 45 and rasie CPU rush D to 60

User cant run well at all, think I have only had one 100 yard rusher against me all year that was South Carolina and most his yards came off a 80+ yard run.
    Fix Attempt
    CPU RB Ablity up to 60, CPU RB up to 55, and User Rush D down to 40

PASS GAME:
    To many user sacks my DE's have 20 sacks combined and my DT's have 16.... that's just the starting Dline and not LB's
    Fix Attempt
    Raised CPU Pass Block to 55, AND lower user Pass rush to 40

User passing is struggles at times..we are going to try and give the user a little more time in the pocket
    Fix Attempt
    Raise User Pass Block to 55, and Lower CPU pass rush to 45

I will be changing these as soon as I get home this afternoon and it will just be on our Test OD.. Play and leave comments

Given that Fred is working.....whats that all about?? I am updating the test OD and game settings post about...

Retirement must be nice Mac...

Some days its like a dream, some days like reality!

Played one half of West Virginia @ Rutgers and think it's an improvement. Some quick notes:

-The CPU RB had 105 yards in the 1st half...53 of which were after contact.

-3 combined interceptions. One those was a one-handed grab of a bullet pass by a DE.

-Had an odd play which I'm assuming is because of lowering the user rush defense. CPU QB scrambled and ran directly at an LB of mine. The LB stood still and did nothing as the QB turned, literally, right before touching him and ran up field. Didn't even react as he ran past him. Then the QB was tackled by a ghost as he tripped with no one around him and fell to the ground. I supersimmed the 2nd half so that I could upload this play, lol.

-The user passing felt much better. My numbers weren't much better but at least it was mostly from poor decisions instead getting nailed immediately and just putting a ball out there. The LBs over the middle of the field are an issue but it's not something we'll fix with sliders.

-User rushing is hard to describe. I'm not sure the run totals will be too different from what we've currently got but there's a better balance between how good the OL is and how good the RB is. It felt better and more natural, but not necessarily more difficult...which is a fine step for season 2, imo.

Played Prudue-17-14Michigan....focused on the run game, so passing was less..Prudue had a good balanced attack, low scoring...only 1 turnover for the whole game...kicking game changes really come into play as field position seems more critical.
    CPU backs some imporvement.....broken tackles-since I stopped using the square button to get the big hit, unless a sure one...have cut down on my broken tackles, maybe 1-2 a game.

Other than passing, which I admit is my weakness....sliders are good

I play Tenn and won 31-3. The game played much closer than the score. Stats where even but big plays where the turn in the game. A Kickoff returned for a TD and a big run by Latamore late 72 yards.

Over all impressions:

I ran a 4-2-5 D and brought a blitz a lot. I had 5 sacks and lots hurries. The CPU did really good at mixing things up I like how they ran the ball. There starting Hb had 24 carries for 94 yards and back up had 4 carries for 25 yards. So they went over 100.

I still find it easy to get to the QB it might be my style of play, i do blitz a lot. I also was getting hit a lot still while throwing again this might be my style of play I do tend to hold the ball to long.

I think we ar ready to advance...I will play again before we make any more tweaks.. I am thinking of raising User and CPU pass block to 60... Comments?

Updated....will change on OD site for S2 as posted above

I know this is somewhat unrelated, but could we add in a coaching carousel for next season? I and a few other coaches created ourselves as coaches before we realized we weren't supposed to. This would be fine, except it comes with a D+ coach prestige, which is a recruiting killer because it takes away an otherwise A/A+ rating and then gives fodder for recruiting against our schools for other schools. Also, I think coach prestige may affect training results. I wasn't there for the training results task, but several of my players only improved one or two points, which is rare in my offline dynasties. I was hoping getting to a BCS bowl would increase my prestige, but it didn't. The only way I know of is the coaching carousel. So if we could add that - even just for a season - just to give me and anyone else who made that mistake a chance to catch up, it would be greatly appreciated.

I also created myself but I didn't notice any oddly low training progression. Seemed like most of my team was bumped up 4-6 points for their overall.

I am concerned about the Coach Prestige thing for recruiting. I just figured it'd be bumped up after my good season but now I'm wondering if they change in an online dynasty. The game thinks I won the national championship last season and am the #1 team in the nation, but my Coach Prestige rating stayed at D+ and my Championship Contender rating stayed at B+.

We have a Coachng Carsouel League, Coaching Legends thread posted....plan to start in October....or are you talking about with in the HOFL OD?

I was talking about it with the HOFL OD. I don't plan on leaving Bama or anything, I just wanted a chance to raise my coach prestige.

I thought you corrected the above at the start of season 1.....see here;
    http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/coaches-clipboard.58352/#post-635196

It never actually corrected, I just realized that there was nothing I could do about it - Saban had been erased from the rosters and there was no bringing him back.

HAHA....

as if a d+ coach rating could slow down alabama's recruiting and progression....good one;)

I have a question? If I was to go to coaching options, and pick USC again for my team. Could I then resign in and create a coach, because not only is my coach named Lane Kiin instead of Lane Kiffin, but I just can't stand Lane Kiffin especially after his little tirade against Al Davis the other day. I know it would cause me to lose coaching prestige, but to be honest USC has enough to offer a recruit other than that. So does anyone mind if I switch coaches, I would love to create someone other than Lane. I just feel as if Lame is giving me some bad mojo, don't want him leading my beloved Trojans.

The only other problem I could see would be promises I made, want to make sure none of you think I am trying to skip out on them. But I believe if I put in a new coach the promises made to prospects still stand?

Any help is appreciated.

So are you wanting to retire from the league start over? To change coaches?.......my initial reaction is that this opens up the door for just about any other reason being just as valid as yours....
    So for example....UW loses its key RB...so can I retire, start the season over, adjust my subs, formations etc....so there is less chance of injury?

Not sure if this is a door/road we want to go down......

I got you, I am just hating Kiff these days. But in the interest of the league, I withdraw my request.

I'll do some research see if there is another option..

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Time to start looking at game settings for season 3.....one change I propose is to the lower the minimum speed threshold to 35. Since the patch it took me a couple of games to adjust...my ints went up, running declined...but in last game, even though it was loss, game felt realistic.

Comments plz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.